Photo
- - - - -

Neighborhoods that used to be nice to live in.

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 beeg jacques

beeg jacques

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,576 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:35 PM

When the Flower Drum was built it was originally called The Four Lanterns Inn, with a bar in the basement called The Den of the Wolf.

Cool! I did not know that!

What about the restaurant on Chapman Rd? I have a very vague memory of that one.
According to "Ari", anyone who supports Israel believes the following:

"Jews are superior to the rest of us, especially Arabs, and that they're entitled to steal and murder because God is their real estate agent, according to them."

Either put up or shut up... "I'm asking, what makes Jews, Jews?. "

I have no idea what makes a Jew, a Jew, nor do I care.

#42 NOTAGUNNUT

NOTAGUNNUT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:49 PM

Cool! I did not know that!

What about the restaurant on Chapman Rd? I have a very vague memory of that one.

Restaurant?

Cal Bitner's Place?
Bar to the left, grill/restaurant to the right.

Across Liberty from there was a small white and green stucco General Store called Caple's. I don't ever remember a restaurant there. They had a Breyer's Ice Cream sign on the front, with CAPLE'S under it. You had to go down some concrete steps to the front door. Store in the basement, residence upstairs.

------------------------------------------

Taxation. Inch by inch, it's a cinch.

[SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]

The Democratic party... Blame you can believe in!

dude: you gonna vote?

Me: yeah but not for Obama.

dude: you racist bro?

Me: No, I just dont like Democrats.

dude: Whats a Democrat?

#43 beeg jacques

beeg jacques

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,576 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:20 PM

Restaurant?

Cal Bitner's Place?
Bar to the left, grill/restaurant to the right.

Across Liberty from there was a small white and green stucco General Store called Caple's. I don't ever remember a restaurant there. They had a Breyer's Ice Cream sign on the front, with CAPLE'S under it. You had to go down some concrete steps to the front door. Store in the basement, residence upstairs.

This was a restaurant in a house some ways back on Chapman Rd (on the Cal Bitner's side of Liberty Rd).

I do remember buying penny candy from Caple's though.

"Jews are superior to the rest of us, especially Arabs, and that they're entitled to steal and murder because God is their real estate agent, according to them."

#44 NOTAGUNNUT

NOTAGUNNUT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:28 PM

This was a restaurant in a house some ways back on Chapman Rd (on the Cal Bitner's side of Liberty Rd).

I do remember buying penny candy from Caple's though.

I don't remember that, but my brother might because he had some friends that likved back there on Colorado Rd.

[SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]

#45 beeg jacques

beeg jacques

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,576 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:35 PM

I don't remember that, but my brother might because he had some friends that likved back there on Colorado Rd.

How about that Citgo on the corner of Liberty and Offutt that turned into the place that sold sodas? The Pop Stop or Pop Shop?

#46 NOTAGUNNUT

NOTAGUNNUT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:00 PM

Liberty, and Offutt?

Let's see....in 1965 On the one Corner there was Schmidt Ford, which later became Joe Grimm Ford until they moved in 1969 to where Liberty Ford is now. Then it was Arnold Rambler, followed by Larry's Dodge/Mazda.
Across Offutt there was Tower Pharmacy, which later became Dorothy Cobb Photography.
Across Liberty from there was an empty lot, which became a 7-11 in the early 70s.
... and ofcourse on the opposite corner was a Hardee's, later Roy Rogers, and the Giant Food store, and shopping center.

Maybe the 7-11 later became the Pop Shop?

The only Citgo I remember was at Liberty, and Marriottsville, near Deer Park Rd. That was ****'s Citgo. He had a big red Chevy tow truck that he called "The Big ****" and had that name painted on the front of the truck.
Before that station was a Citgo it was a Flying A station.

[SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]

#47 beeg jacques

beeg jacques

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,576 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

Liberty, and Offutt?

Let's see....in 1965 On the one Corner there was Schmidt Ford, which later became Joe Grimm Ford until they moved in 1969 to where Liberty Ford is now. Then it was Arnold Rambler, followed by Larry's Dodge/Mazda.
Across Offutt there was Tower Pharmacy, which later became Dorothy Cobb Photography.
Across Liberty from there was an empty lot, which became a 7-11 in the early 70s.
... and ofcourse on the opposite corner was a Hardee's, later Roy Rogers, and the Giant Food store, and shopping center.

Maybe the 7-11 later became the Pop Shop?

The only Citgo I remember was at Liberty, and Marriottsville, near Deer Park Rd. That was ****'s Citgo. He had a big red Chevy tow truck that he called "The Big ****" and had that name painted on the front of the truck.
Before that station was a Citgo it was a Flying A station.

The 7/11 location is where I'm referring to. It was briefly a Citgo, then the Pop Stop/Shop, then it became the 7/11.

Wow, you sure know the "pre-history' of a lot of places in Randallstown. I always remember Joe Grimm across from Deer Park Building Supply. I didn't know it started where Larry's Dodge (I'm just wild about Larry!) was.

Same for Dorothy Cobb..I didn't know what was there before the photo studio.

How about Don Flowers,Highs, Liberty TV, and Tangiers? There was also a Tailor/Dry cleaners...I'm thinking Liberty Tailors maybe?

The Roy Rogers was further down Liberty Rd, across from Loring Byers. I'm surprised that parcel is still vacant after all these years.

#48 bensmotorcyclehelmet

bensmotorcyclehelmet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:14 PM

I lived in Govans. Used to sail sailboats in the wading pool at Dewees Rec center and have Gala Day at the elementary school. Used to have a great pit ham sandwich at the Stadium lounge on 33rd and Greenmount on the way to Colts games. My brother still lives in Govans. It ain't so bad on his street but York Road south of Belvedere is pretty ugly.

Remember the oooooold Govan's Grill- on the corner of York and Homeland?
It's since been razed. But it had GREAT crabcakes...COLD beer!

#49 NOTAGUNNUT

NOTAGUNNUT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:09 PM

[quote name='beeg jacques']The 7/11 location is where I'm referring to. It was briefly a Citgo, then the Pop Stop/Shop, then it became the 7/11.

Wow, you sure know the "pre-history' of a lot of places in Randallstown. I always remember Joe Grimm across from Deer Park Building Supply. I didn't know it started where Larry's Dodge (I'm just wild about Larry!) was.
[/QUOTE]
Joe Grimm bought the Schmidt Ford franchise that was taken away from the person who bought it from Sam Schmidt. Before the old block building was a car dealer it was the local Blacksmith shop. I think they added on to that place about 8 times. The current Ford building was put up in 1968. My dad wad the parts manager there, and designed the parts department.
[QUOTE]
Same for Dorothy Cobb..I didn't know what was there before the photo studio.
[/QUOTE]Tower Pharmacy was a traditional old drug store with a lunch counter. In typical Randallstown fashion for the day, the cash register was in the back end of the store at the drug counter, and not near the door. Seems they weren't worried about shop lifters back them. Can you believe that?
[QUOTE]
How about Don Flowers,Highs, Liberty TV, and Tangiers? There was also a Tailor/Dry cleaners...I'm thinking Liberty Tailors maybe?
[/QUOTE] Don Flowers, and Tangiers were at least as old as I am. Liberty TV was a 60s business. In that same strip was a custom furniture maker, and repair shop called Marvel Furniture. The man who lived next door to us worked there as a woodworker.
The Roy Rogers was further down Liberty Rd, across from Loring Byers. I'm surprised that parcel is still vacant after all these years.[/quote]
Yep... there was one there too. When Roy Rogers bought out Hardees there were two in that area for a short time. My brother's first job was at the one you're talking about. That one was a Gino's originally.;)

Edited by NOTAGUNNUT, 30 June 2011 - 02:26 PM.

[SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]

#50 One Party State

One Party State

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:51 AM

Some of my childhood was spent in Edmondson Heights. We could walk to Charing Cross shopping center or Korvette's without a care in the world. My dad would drop us off at the Edmondson Village Theater for a Saturday movie and pick us up afterward with no worries.

My husband and I bought our first home in Edmondson Height in 1983, moved in 1992. It was amazing how the neighborhood changed in those 9 years. It wasn't the people moving into the neighborhood that changed it, it was those traveling through that caused the issues. Between the car thefts, the muggings, etc. it was time for us to flee with our girls.

#51 One Party State

One Party State

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:01 AM

Ah, the Randallstown of my youth!

-Walked or rode bikes everywhere
-Playing outside (unsupervised) all day, until your mother called you home for dinner, and again when it got too dark
-The Liberty Road Volunteer Fire Company had an awesome carnival each summer (with an old timey parade!)
-Randallstown Plaza and Liberty Court both had movie theaters.
-Chinese restaurants and Jewish delis up and down Liberty Road
-Gino's was the only fast food place (ok, White Coffee Pot Jr was further up the road)
-Toytown AND Toy Barn
-Randallstown Pharmacy in Mariottsville Plaza had a lunch counter
-Bowling at Fairlanes Liberty
-Riding horses at Rocking "R" ranch
-Tree houses, rope swings, catching frogs, turtles, and crayfish.

and....

Milford Mill Swim Club
The great library
Woodmoor shopping center and the Reads soda fountain

I grew up in Woodmoor. We rode every where up and down Liberty Road, to Woodlawn and when Security Mall opened we rode our bikes there. It was just great. We lived there until we moved in 1978. Dad had died and Mom and I were by ourselves. Burglaries were starting to become so common that mom and I slept with scissors and a billy club in each of our beds (just in case). Our next door neighbor had been broken into and another neighbor was tied up and his daugter raped so we naturally felt we needed to leave. Just so sad to see such a lovely area become so crime ridden.

#52 Bloomin Onion

Bloomin Onion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:03 PM

Randallstown

Owings Mills

Pikesville (getting worse every week)

To name a few.

What a shame.

Parts of Dundalk, Essex, and Catonsville. Now even parts of Harford County. I was in Havre de Grace the other day and saw many people who moved there from the city and trust me these people haven't changed their ways. Now you go into a Waffle House of all places in Havre de Grace and you see thugs in baggy pants and doo rags and silver chains no kidding. Its enough to deal with people from the city moving out, we never vote against the illegal immigrants in the upcoming referendum.

The Red Line will have very negative impact on Woodlawn and Catonsville and probably even Ellicott City. Mark my words.

#53 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,555 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:30 PM

Baltimore County had a lot of great neighborhoods until the MTA moved outside of the city. Once that happened the once great neighborhoods died and became overcome with crime.

MTA has been providing bus service to Baltimore County since it took over the BTC. :confused:
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#54 NOTAGUNNUT

NOTAGUNNUT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:37 PM

MTA has been providing bus service to Baltimore County since it took over the BTC. :confused:

The MTA, combined with subsidized housing is the issue.

[SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]

#55 Evil Yoda

Evil Yoda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,375 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

I think the Flower Drum Inn disappeared a few years after I started visiting there (I had a friend who lived over there - I grew up in Timonium). We'd visit Nino Taco from time to time; it was next to the Flower Drum Inn. That moved to somewhere over by Reisterstown Road a few years ago.

Anybody visit the Olde World Deli when it was sort of next to the 7-11 on that corner? They moved out towards Marriottsville years ago and I don't know if they even still exist. I think some heating oil company was next door to their old location.

I believe there are plans for Owings Mills Mall; I think David S. Brown Co. (the actual David S. Brown died years ago, and from what I hear won't be missed) plans to put in some kind of small shopping complex near the Metro Parking garage. Then they'll raze the mall and build the new thing: a shopping center like Hunt Valley is now. Which is what shopping centers were before they all became malls. Property owners have discovered that it costs less if they don't have to air condition spaces that don't generate revenue, like walkways! :)
Government ~ Bailouts

"Nature, time, and patience are the three great physicians. Still, it might be time to consult Dr. Feldman about the grapefruit-sized growth hanging from the side of your throat.
"

#56 Ranger145

Ranger145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:01 PM

BelAir-Edison where I grew up. Highest crime rate in the City now. Sad.

#57 boink

boink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

BelAir-Edison where I grew up. Highest crime rate in the City now. Sad.

Fathers MIA

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

BALTIMORE — At Vixxen Hair Salon, the main topic of conversation has always been money. But since last August, Anjanette Booker, the owner, has noticed a new focus. “Now it’s money and foreclosures,” Miss Booker said.

The Vixxen salon, along with the nearby salon Hair Vysions, is one of the informal social centers for the Belair-Edison neighborhood, a community of brick row houses that have in recent years been bought largely by single black women with children.

Edited by boink, 05 June 2014 - 06:29 PM.

#58 Eastsider

Eastsider

Si vis bellum para pacem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

Regulate, reduce and limit the amount of mass transit in any of these neighborhoods and you will start to see positive changes.

#59 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,555 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:19 PM

Regulate, reduce and limit the amount of mass transit in any of these neighborhoods and you will start to see positive changes.

So, do you expect me to sit home all day?

Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#60 Shad

Shad

Specksioneer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

That's been studied ad infiniteum and found not to be true. It's a myth like the Lexus shrimp Independence card woman.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users