4 replies to this topic

#1 canis

canis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:33 PM

SHANGHAI — Talk about outsourcing.

At a sprawling manufacturing complex here, hundreds of Chinese laborers are now completing work on the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.

Next month, the last four of more than two dozen giant steel modules — each with a roadbed segment about half the size of a football field — will be loaded onto a huge ship and transported 6,500 miles to Oakland. There, they will be assembled to fit into the eastern span of the new Bay Bridge.

http://www.nytimes.c...ridge.html?_r=1

#2 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,811 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:17 PM

Oh boy! I hear Chinese and steel in the same sentence and the first thing that comes to mind is metal shear. Used to be, not that long ago we could have built that bridge here. It's a wet kiss from the Reagan era that we are no longer able to do it. I read stories like this and it just makes me sad the things we've let slip away from us.

I guess they figure it's only going to Oakland so who cares about quality assurance.
"A screaming comes across the sky. . ." -- Thomas Pynchon

#3 Kemmer

Kemmer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,725 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

So much for boosting OUR economy via infrastructure projects.

OTOH, if, prior to 2008, someone had wanted to re-start US manufacturing, a la the glory days of the steel industry, they would have had to import labor. The sons of the steelworkers all went to college.

We embraced the "clean" post-industrial jobs (and nobody makes jokes about the air in Pittsburgh, anymore.) No more "mind-numbing, 'cog-in-the-industrial-machine' " jobs for US, no sirree. We'd rather sell each other insurance and hit the golf course, or design video games. Steel mills aren't air-conditioned, y'know.

To ensure the bridge meets safety standards, 250 employees and consultants working for the state of California and American Bridge/Fluor also took up residence in Shanghai.

It would be interesting to have a breakdown of how many of these are paid by the companies involved, and how many by the Cali taxpayers... something about dog-owners barking. A lot of folks would love to have a paid sabbatical in Shanghai.

I wish journalists wouldn't use terms like "one of the most expensive structures ever built." They need to bear in mind that every dollar spent on this project would buy about a nickel's-worth of the Brooklyn Bridge. Statements like that one add to our pathetic innumeracy.

Truth, that bothers me far more than the loss of factory/production jobs to foreigners.

Meanwhile, this really IS what "lifting the third world's poor out of poverty" looks like, and, at least we get parts for a bridge from it. That's better than sending money to DC, to be handed over to various NGO's, for the purpose of "managing" the poor in other countries.
Life is not a zero-sum game.

#4 Circe

Circe

Solidarity Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:18 AM

That's better than sending money to DC, to be handed over to various NGO's, for the purpose of "managing" the poor in other countries.

Kremmer, every paragraph you write is a separate thought. I never have any idea of what is your point. You've taught 1st grade too long.

#5 Shad

Shad

Specksioneer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:08 PM

Look at what a disaster it's become.

http://www.contracos...ak-spat-hardens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users