Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AgentOrange

Best Hiking Trails

11 posts in this topic

I and my son are avid hikers and we have hiked many if not most of the better hiking trails in the metro area from columbia to Harford county. We prefer to stay west of the City to avoid traffic and save gas. We are hoping that some of you will share your experiences and clue us in about the some hot nature trails. The best one we have found thus far is the Woodstock unmaintained nature trail off of Old Court rd rt 125 just as you cross the river past davies rd. The veiws are breathtaking and will make you thing you are in another state.

I'd like to try it.

The trails along the Gunpowder from the Prettyboy dam down past York Rd a couple miles make some nice walks, some pretty flat, some pretty hilly, pretty quiet too. You can always take a dip in the summer too. I would guess you've already tried these, but maybe not.

I'd like to try it.

The trails along the Gunpowder from the Prettyboy dam down past York Rd a couple miles make some nice walks, some pretty flat, some pretty hilly, pretty quiet too. You can always take a dip in the summer too. I would guess you've already tried these, but maybe not.

I have done a few trails in that area but perhaps not enough......the woodstock trail is one of your longer hikes to include a 400 foot hill, a pristine forest that could pass for the appalachians, a slow moving river that makes for good swimmimg and some wide open brush that reminded me of the mid west. The parking is great as the trail starts just yards from a small small parking area. I have yet to see any other people while hiking. the only negative is the trail is also a a horse trail and theres some horse poo along the way

There are some nice trails around Liberty Reservoir off of MD 26 and MD 32.

If you want to drive a little further west, the Appalachian Trail is not far away, and offers wonderful hiking opportunities.

There are some nice trails around Liberty Reservoir off of MD 26 and MD 32.

If you want to drive a little further west, the Appalachian Trail is not far away, and offers wonderful hiking opportunities.

Thanks bro..I have done all of the Liberty resevoir trails as well as the appalachian trails. This thread was met to focus on trails in the metro area....

I and my son are avid hikers and we have hiked many if not most of the better hiking trails in the metro area from columbia to Harford county. We prefer to stay west of the City to avoid traffic and save gas. We are hoping that some of you will share your experiences and clue us in about the some hot nature trails. The best one we have found thus far is the Woodstock unmaintained nature trail off of Old Court rd rt 125 just as you cross the river past davies rd. The veiws are breathtaking and will make you thing you are in another state.

i live in that area and i'm in the process of doing some exploring of trails over there. for clarification are you entering these trails from HC side of the river, accoss from the woodstock inn? i've been checking out the BC side, going down that strip of paved road access, off of old court road, which leads you under the bridge, and then out west towards marriotsville rd. i have yet to explore the HC side, but i'm interested in what's over there. :)

Some time ago, some one posted about hiking around Harpers Ferry, WV. They took a path that took them across the Potomac River bridge there. At the time the pedestrian walkway had just been closed while the bridge was being repainted/repaired.

I can't find the post where the gentleman was inquiring... but if you're still here, just wanted to let you know the repairs on the bridge have been completed and the bridge is now open to pedestrians.

Wow, sounds nice.

I might have to check that out.

I will also second the Prettyboy comment. I love those trails. There are some along the gunpowder just south of the dam, but those are overused.

Thanks bro..I have done all of the Liberty resevoir trails as well as the appalachian trails. This thread was met to focus on trails in the metro area....

Are you familiar with Soldiers Delight NEA?

Soldiers Delight is a serpentine barrens, meaning that it overlies a bubble of igneous rock that is rich in serpentinite, an ore of chromium. Because of the thin, harsh (heavy metal rich) soil, the plants that grow there are uniquely adapted to the environment. Unusually, it is a grassland, one of the few prairies west of the Appalachian mountains, and a sight to behold in mid-spring.

Because it's a Natural Environment Area, not a state park, there are no facilities other than a small visitor center and a parking lot.

Soldiers Delight is just east of Marriottsville.

Slightly off topic, but is anybody aware of some nice biking trails in the area?