Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rbrooksc

Harold's Fruit Market in Parkville

24 posts in this topic

I drove down Joppa Road for the first time in a long time recently. I noticed Harold's Fruit Market looked closed.

Is it closed? And if so, how long has it been closed?

That's really sad, if true. Before we moved, we were semi-regular customers at Harold's--especially when the local corn came in.

I haven't actually shopped there in years since I live in Harford County now but I do remember, when we lived in Towson, going there after church almost every Sunday to get milk, etc since the Maryland Blue Laws were still in effect at that time.

I always thought that was a neat place and brought a little bit of the country to a highly sub-urbanized area.

I do believe that has been closed for many months now, perhaps since the winter.

I can't remember it being open this summer season at all. I don't travel through there a lot but usually once every two weeks or so. My problem is that I hit the area when it would be closed.

I grew up in that area and can remember going there as a little kid in the late 60's/early 70's with my mother. Always good fruit, veggies, those barrels full of big dill pickles, floating in brine with seasonings, dead flies, etc... :P

I moved out of the area in early 80's.

So much has changed in that area since I was a kid.

Gone is Shop N Save, Loch Ridge Pharmacy, Garibalidi's, Ed's Liquors ("Coldest Beer in Town"), Village Bake Shop, Ports Sporting Goods, Genova Pizza etc.....

ahhh the memories...

The only things that remain are Bel Loc Diner, Pastore's and Johnny Dee's. Oh, and Baynesville Electronics :D

I drove down Joppa Road for the first time in a long time recently. I noticed Harold's Fruit Market looked closed.

Is it closed? And if so, how long has it been closed?

It has been closed for awhile. I think I went by there probably 4 or 5 months ago and it was closed.

This is a disappointment - I was always planning to get over there since I work nearby. I remember going there as a kid in the early 70s.

A developer will probably buy the land and squeeze 20 townhouses in there......somehow.

Watch.

That would be pretty dum in today's housing market. I would venture to say that the property is zoned for commercial use, and some sort of fast food franchise will go there.

I wonder what happened. I hope it was something as simple as the owners decided it was time to close the business.

That would be pretty dum in today's housing market. I would venture to say that the property is zoned for commercial use, and some sort of fast food franchise will go there.

That was pretty dumb. :o

From what I heard the Father either retired or passed and the Son ran the place into the ground.

From what I heard the Father either retired or passed and the Son ran the place into the ground.

You are correct. I used to work there and that is exactly what happened. The Father retired, the Son took over, got rid of all the competent emloyees he had, and the store suffered from it.

Harold's was my husband's first job, about 20 years ago. He said the same thing about the son running the place.

The old man always had quality produce where the son had many time sub standard. I remember the father would tell me he bought in the off season at the produce market in Jessup and would only buy quality . There were many times he said he passed on out dated stuff and old stuff. The son or young guy, I think was named Dabby or something like that and he always had bad stuff on the racks and his help went from competent to beauty if you get my drift.

The old man always had quality produce where the son had many time sub standard. I remember the father would tell me he bought in the off season at the produce market in Jessup and would only buy quality . There were many times he said he passed on out dated stuff and old stuff. The son or young guy, I think was named Dabby or something like that and he always had bad stuff on the racks and his help went from competent to beauty if you get my drift.

You are confusing Harold's Produce with Dabby's Produce. Dabby's Produce was on joppa rd near old harford rd.

This was one of the first places I shopped at for a Christmas tree with my husband the first year we were married.  There was a Harold's Produce on Ritchie Highway in Glen Burnie.  Growing up we always bought our tree there once my day remarried and we lived in Glen Burnie.  Before that, we shopped for a tree in Pasadena or my grandfather would find one in Baltimore City before he came home from work.

I really miss the Harold's here.  Things did appear to be on the downward slope just before it closed.  Now it's just an empty lot.  Even the Salvation Army store that was next door has been demolished.

I know this is old news by now, but I just saw this thread for the first time.  The plan is for a Gavigan's Furniture store to be built there.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-county/towson/ph-tt-gavigan-furniture-0819-20150818-story.html

Over the years, you could definitely tell there was a change in the quality at Harold's.  Acme was pretty much across the street and this little stand survived quite well.  It is a shame the management changed, and for the worse.