• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 rbrooksc

rbrooksc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:29 AM

I drove down Joppa Road for the first time in a long time recently. I noticed Harold's Fruit Market looked closed.

Is it closed? And if so, how long has it been closed?

#2 TheJoeFlaccoShow

TheJoeFlaccoShow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:00 AM

I just noticed it the other day too.

Couldn't have been closed down for more than a week or so.

#3 newpoppop

newpoppop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:16 PM

That's really sad, if true. Before we moved, we were semi-regular customers at Harold's--especially when the local corn came in.
Give me the strength to change the things I can, the grace to accept the things I cannot, and a great big bag of money.

#4 rbrooksc

rbrooksc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:50 PM

I haven't actually shopped there in years since I live in Harford County now but I do remember, when we lived in Towson, going there after church almost every Sunday to get milk, etc since the Maryland Blue Laws were still in effect at that time.

I always thought that was a neat place and brought a little bit of the country to a highly sub-urbanized area.

#5 TK421

TK421

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:10 AM

I do believe that has been closed for many months now, perhaps since the winter.

#6 CountessMeout

CountessMeout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,278 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:18 PM

It's been closed awhile and the site will be changed to something else. :(
CountessMeout

#7 Aquanewt

Aquanewt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,548 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:28 PM

I can't remember it being open this summer season at all. I don't travel through there a lot but usually once every two weeks or so. My problem is that I hit the area when it would be closed.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges."

#8 BleedingPurple

BleedingPurple

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:53 PM

I grew up in that area and can remember going there as a little kid in the late 60's/early 70's with my mother. Always good fruit, veggies, those barrels full of big dill pickles, floating in brine with seasonings, dead flies, etc... :P

I moved out of the area in early 80's.

So much has changed in that area since I was a kid.

Gone is Shop N Save, Loch Ridge Pharmacy, Garibalidi's, Ed's Liquors ("Coldest Beer in Town"), Village Bake Shop, Ports Sporting Goods, Genova Pizza etc.....
ahhh the memories...

The only things that remain are Bel Loc Diner, Pastore's and Johnny Dee's. Oh, and Baynesville Electronics :D
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free.- P.J. O'Rourke

#9 Toon Face

Toon Face

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,239 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:34 PM

they closed recently a while ago

#10 rbrooksc

rbrooksc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:41 AM

they closed recently a while ago

It cannot be both...

#11 Mike B

Mike B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:01 PM

I drove down Joppa Road for the first time in a long time recently. I noticed Harold's Fruit Market looked closed.

Is it closed? And if so, how long has it been closed?

It has been closed for awhile. I think I went by there probably 4 or 5 months ago and it was closed.

#12 CountessMeout

CountessMeout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,278 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:30 AM

At least, Weber's is back ! http://www.weberscidermillfarm.com/
CountessMeout

#13 Moandie

Moandie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:45 PM

This is a disappointment - I was always planning to get over there since I work nearby. I remember going there as a kid in the early 70s.

#14 TheJoeFlaccoShow

TheJoeFlaccoShow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:22 PM

A developer will probably buy the land and squeeze 20 townhouses in there......somehow.

Watch.

#15 newpoppop

newpoppop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

A developer will probably buy the land and squeeze 20 townhouses in there......somehow.

Watch.

That would be pretty dum in today's housing market. I would venture to say that the property is zoned for commercial use, and some sort of fast food franchise will go there.
Give me the strength to change the things I can, the grace to accept the things I cannot, and a great big bag of money.

#16 rbrooksc

rbrooksc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:44 AM

I wonder what happened. I hope it was something as simple as the owners decided it was time to close the business.

#17 newpoppop

newpoppop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:04 PM

That would be pretty dum in today's housing market. I would venture to say that the property is zoned for commercial use, and some sort of fast food franchise will go there.

That was pretty dumb. :o

#18 TK421

TK421

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:14 AM

From what I heard the Father either retired or passed and the Son ran the place into the ground.

#19 ApacheDakota

ApacheDakota

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:25 AM

From what I heard the Father either retired or passed and the Son ran the place into the ground.

You are correct. I used to work there and that is exactly what happened. The Father retired, the Son took over, got rid of all the competent emloyees he had, and the store suffered from it.

#20 mustangamy

mustangamy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:39 AM

Harold's was my husband's first job, about 20 years ago. He said the same thing about the son running the place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users