Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CountessMeout

Meeting Friends for dinner in Ellicott City

19 posts in this topic

next week. Reviews on a couple places are bad. So is the Diamondback Tavern a good place for a group of friends to gather? Will we be happy with the food and wine there?

So now one has been there and no one has any other place to recommend? I find that rather shocking.

Diamondback Tavern does not have great food. It's OK bar food. Think a step below Greene Turtle.

Try Portalli's. Good Italian food, good wine list, prices are very affordable.

Thank you. :) I'll check the menu and see if my husband will be happy with it. ( He's so picky about certain things. )

I agree with Pickle20 the food at Diamondback isn't very good. You may want to try Pure Wine Cafe.

There's also Rumor Mill, Trolley Stop, Cacao Lane (food is okay, the atmosphere is great), or La Palapa. I was recently at Portalli's and the food was hit and miss. Please let us know where you go and give us a review.

If you want to venture over to Columbia, Aida Bistro is really good food and supposedly a good wine bar. I don't really drink wine, so I wouldn't really know.

next week. Reviews on a couple places are bad. So is the Diamondback Tavern a good place for a group of friends to gather? Will we be happy with the food and wine there?
Countess~ My sister & hubby live in Ellicott City & took me to a great restaurant in Catonsville, on Frederick Rd. It may or may NOT still be there, but the phone # is/was 301-788-6076. The name is 'Candle Light Inn' That dinner was a LONG time ago, but the memory is still with!

Countess~ My sister & hubby live in Ellicott City & took me to a great restaurant in Catonsville, on Frederick Rd. It may or may NOT still be there, but the phone # is/was 301-788-6076. The name is 'Candle Light Inn' That dinner was a LONG time ago, but the memory is still with!

The Candlelight Inn has great food and service.

I agree! We've had several lovely times at the CandleLight Inn and, actually, we are going there for a couple's 30ieth anniversary, weekend after next.

We just needed something a bit more casual for the dinner with other friends. One of them likes chain restaurant atmospheres but, I had to nix BareBones because of my husband's many food issues.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I'll see what the others want to do.

If it's not too late, go to Tersiguel's on Main St. I concur on Candlelight Inn...

If it's not too late, go to Tersiguel's on Main St. I concur on Candlelight Inn...

Both good but both expensive. Lapalapa is very good and a bit more reasonable.

I had already shown my husband Tersiquel's menu. He didn't like that. Lapalapa didn't suit him, either, but I think a gift card would be great for Christmas for our vegan nephew and his wife.

My husband is finnicky about food in the best of times but, right now he's had some problems with stress and reflux. So, it comes down to whatever he thinks he can eat the most easily. We have to forego the Crab Shanty for that reason, as well.

We were at the Diamondback Inn, having driven through a terrible rain to get there. One friend met us immediately and I asked if they might like another place. No, she wanted to try this one.

We were first into the dining room area and our waitress was very knowlegeable and attentive. Waiting for our fourth member we ordered drinks and my Ellicott City Ice Tea had good flavor. My husband had the Orange Crush and friends choose with Mountain Dudes. Everyone like the drinks, none of which were too strong for driving later.

We ended up with two sheperd's pies, a testudo and an ahi tuna appeztixer (huge) as an entree. The sheperd's pies were wonderful. Not too large but a good size and the meat melted in your mouth, good texture in the potatoes. Extra good DISH on a damp night. Our friend with the tuna was very pleased, even though the portion was so large she took about half home. The one with the Testudo was disappointed only because she thought a a Caribbean style dish would be spicer. Otherwise, she liked the flavor and textures.

We ended with coffee and that decaf had a good, bold flavor. Under a hundred for all of us and we were all happy,

The dining room was not fully packed but it was a lively spot. We had a really good time and I am glad. We won't seem them for ages and we all have a good memory to hang on to.

Last night we were at the Candlelight Inn for our friends' anniversary. There was a good size crowd spread throughout the building but we were in a smaller room and managed to be semi private the whole time.

Everyone else took advantage of the extended Restaurant week specials ($30/ 3 courses) and they really enjoyed them. I was the hold out- asking just for the duck special and it was great. We shared a bottle of wine. No pressure to leave just very good service, so we sat and talked to catch up. Another pleasant dinner and good memories. Thanks,Candlelight.

Edited by CountessMeout

Glad you liked it. Mrs. Com and I have some nice memories of the Candlelight Inn. :)

UPDATE:

Candlelight Inn is now a funeral home.

The last day of business for Crab Shanty aka The Shanty Grill is 12/31/14.

Shame about the Candlelight. It's fate reminds me of a comment my late grandfather used to make at his dinner table, He said, "Eat it here and die at home.." :)

The last 3 places I ate in that area

1. Double T Diner

2. The new Sonic

3. Bare Bones Bar and Grille

All good stuff!