Photo
- - - - -

Man Florida is getting serious

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Underseige

Underseige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

Just got back from a business trip to Florida and the east coast of Florida is running adds for Lax coaches and former players to help ref and coach. In one school Casey Powel is the head coach and from what I heard so other big names are coming into the treasure coast to help build a solid foundation there. It may only take 3 years to get many athletes to play the game and football coach are now being convinced this sport is the best way to keep their players active.Look out this area is getting pink and pretty soon will be red hot. Year around lax is a possibility.

#2 tampafan76

tampafan76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:35 AM

Year around lax is already here in the Tampa area. My hs daughter just finished her first year in a "club" league (most teams use a local HS name for area/registration boundries, but have no affiliation with said schools).

The local regional counties school districts do not recognize lax as a sanctioned sport - yet - but about half the counties in Fl do, or so I am told. Money is the issue here, where schools will be forced to fund both boys and girls teams.

It has grown from literally nothing to a big thing in about 5 years.

#3 floridaraven

floridaraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:55 PM

Year around lax is already here in the Tampa area. My hs daughter just finished her first year in a "club" league (most teams use a local HS name for area/registration boundries, but have no affiliation with said schools).

The local regional counties school districts do not recognize lax as a sanctioned sport - yet - but about half the counties in Fl do, or so I am told. Money is the issue here, where schools will be forced to fund both boys and girls teams.

It has grown from literally nothing to a big thing in about 5 years.

I have watched the girls from Vero grow to a National Level Team. They were ranked in the top 5 nationally last year but now I'm told the hot spot for all Lax will be from Sebastian to Boca. This thing is catching on and the schools may drop Bowling to let lax flourish. It is any wonder if bowling can be state sanctioned how can not a sport like Lax not be also

#4 Freedomfighter

Freedomfighter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

David Goldman, a graduate of Poly in Balt. City, is playing at Jacksonville University.

#5 Underseige

Underseige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:03 PM

A friends son just graduated from Cortland and lives in Florida. He said they are hurting for officials so bad that he received a letter to please join the association there to ref.