Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baltimatt

Time to put away the straw hats

23 posts in this topic

OK, Gentlemen. It's September 15. That the day you put away the straw hats until next May.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-05-08/news/bs-md-backstory-straw-hat-day-20100508_1_straw-hat-day-paca-lombard-hat-s-crown

"But on May 15, it had to be a straw hat," said Jacobs, who added that "June 1 to Sept. 1 was seersucker and cotton season."

The seasonal ritual that Jacobs was alluding to was Straw Hat Day. Overnight, men packed away the fedoras, derbies, homburgs and tweed caps, next to their heavy fall and winter suitings and overcoats, that would not be withdrawn until Sept. 15, which marked the end of the straw hat season.

Of course, it's time to put away the straw hat.

Summer's over, and everyone knows that you've got to make hay while the sun shines.

I guess the white shoes and patent leather have to go as well? :)

a coworker asked me yesterday if my boots were appropriate yet (with a light crocheted sweater and skirt)

uh...yeah...it was 50 degrees last night lol

a coworker asked me yesterday if my boots were appropriate yet (with a light crocheted sweater and skirt)

uh...yeah...it was 50 degrees last night lol

Seriously?? Good grief! I wore a sweater yesterday as well. Aside from sneakers, I haven't worn white shoes since I was a little kid and my mother made me where white Mary Jane's for easter. lol But I do have a couple of pairs of sexy black patent leather shoes (one pair with silver studs) that I will wear all year long if I want. :D

But I do have a couple of pairs of sexy black patent leather shoes (one pair with silver studs) that I will wear all year long if I want. :D

FMPs!!!!!!!!!

sexxy!!!! :)

And now it's time to take them out.

http://retrobaltimore.tumblr.com/post/118975699379/straw-hat-day-coincides-with-preakness-weekend

Friday is Straw Hat Day, the annual rite of passage for those who observe such sartorial rules, when felt hats and tweed caps are swapped for jaunty straw boaters, sometimes called butcher’s, sailor’s or skimmers, and Panamas.   Straw Hat Day dates to an era when hats were de rigueur and no man or woman would ever consider leaving home hatless.

Straw Hat Day — which begins May 15 and ends Sept. 15 — coincides this year with the Preakness, which means there should be a sea of straws on the craniums of both men and women at Old Hill Top on Saturday.

I guess the white shoes and patent leather have to go as well? :)

Not if you're a guy.

White shoes or a white belt is known as a "toledo". Wearing both is a "full toledo" and is still the rage in certain circles. ;)

Wearing both with shorts is a "pittsburgh tuxedo".

OK, just a reminder to put away the straw hats for another year.

Nope.  Mine stays until the boat is winterized :)  November.

I live in Whitehall near the Bay Bridge and can't wait for the end of summer.

No more beach traffic clogging Route 50 and adjacent roads.

Edited by boink

Time to get the straw hats out for the summer! :)

What summer? 37 degrees this morning? 59 degrees now? This spring sucks.

What summer? 37 degrees this morning? 59 degrees now? This spring sucks.

I hear that it may rain again tomorrow.

I'm glad that I've almost completed the Ark in my back yard.

Got my summer hat (not really straw) out today.

My,  back in 1922 there were actually Straw Hat Riots in New York City  as young hooligans targeted men wearing straw hats in mid September. 

The truth of that observation was borne out in New York City in 1922, when a hat-snatching turned into a full-fledged, days-long riot. It began when a few kids in Manhattan’s “Mulberry Bend” section decided to disregard the traditional September 15 deadline and start snatching hats early, on September 13. They targeted some dockworkers; the dockworkers got angry and began to fight back. One thing led to another, and soon enough large hat-hating gangs were roaming through the city, snatching hats and attacking people en masse, occasionally using clubs studded with sharp nails.

The night of September 13 was a violent one. “Straw Hat Riots Embroil East Side,” reported the New York Times of Sept. 14, 1922, asserting that “the inalienable right of a man to wear a straw hat in a snowstorm, if he desires, is to be upheld in this city by both police and the Magistrates, and a warning was sent broadcast to all straw hat smashers last night that jail terms on assault charges awaited them if they started any such carnival today.”

(I'm posting this information about the riots now in case I forget come mid-September. 

"They targeted some dockworkers; the dockworkers got angry and began to fight back."

I might have to add this to the top ten list of things that will start a fight.  Targeting dockworkers.   

On 5/18/2018 at 0:23 PM, SemiAuto said:

"They targeted some dockworkers; the dockworkers got angry and began to fight back."

I might have to add this to the top ten list of things that will start a fight.  Targeting dockworkers.   

Yeah, not a good idea.

Longshoremen and stevedores aren't known for their adherence to current fashion trends, and may possibly take offense to those choosing to criticize their headgear. Gucci, St. Laurent and Louis Vuitton  hard hats are expensive, difficult to acquire and are rarely useful. :) 

Ask the guys down at Local 333 if you have the 'nads. :P:D

I know some of the guys on Percy's gang and several supervisors, have worked at DMT & Fairfield for Ages. I don't go on the ships much anymore. I have a kid at work I put on them most of the time now. Mostly I'm in my office, after all these years I've earned it.