22 replies to this topic

#1 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:52 AM

10 things that Apple is worth more than
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#2 Retired Ramp Guy

Retired Ramp Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:32 AM

yes.. yes ... they are!

(a very happy stock holder since the late 90's - have yet to sell the first share! :D)

... and some see a 600/share in a 24 month time frame.

#3 CoyoteJack

CoyoteJack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,278 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:02 PM

Most remarkable is that so many people who despise capitalism just love their Iwhatever.
"Some people are like Slinkys, good for nothing yet they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs." - Unknown.

#4 thehats

thehats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:10 AM

crazy stat:
for every employee walmart has, they generate $210,000 in revenue.

for apple, its $1.3million

O.o

#5 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,596 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:24 AM

yes.. yes ... they are!

(a very happy stock holder since the late 90's - have yet to sell the first share! :D)

... and some see a 600/share in a 24 month time frame.

Since you're the Apple man, what's up with the iPhone 4S? They hold a press event to show off the "new" iPhone which is essentially my android phone from 6 months ago spec-wise. Except my phone is 4G.

I'm sure the sheep will flock to it, but it seems bizarre considering the phones being produced by the competition.

#6 dandrews

dandrews

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,055 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:34 AM

The best thing about the 4S is that I can now buy the original iPhone 4 for 100 bucks instead of 200.

I still have the original 3G, and while it's lasted me this long, it's wearing down. The 4S doesn't impress me enough to be worth 100 dollars more than the 4.

#7 Underseige

Underseige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:06 AM

Do any of you think broadcom and other stocks will now go higher because of Apple's success.

#8 atomic

atomic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

crazy stat:

O.o

That is because none of apples employees are actually making their products. Overpriced Chinese merchandise. Without Steve Jobs in charge you wonder how long they can't keep it going. I am guessing a 2 or 3 more years.

#9 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,806 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

I'm sure the sheep will flock to it,

There ya go :)
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#10 dogstarman

dogstarman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

Do any of you think broadcom and other stocks will now go higher because of Apple's success.

Not spectacularly.

Chips are usually a low margin item and they suffer relentless competition across multiple vendors.

Equipment manufacturers, like Apple, are at liberty to simply "design-out" or "second-source" any chip vendors which are giving them problems.

Some components such as displays are more likely to be single-source. These are going to do well with Apple.

Broadcom will do well if they are consistently managed, keep innovating, and keep attracting "design-wins".

#11 boink

boink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,211 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

crazy stat:

O.o

and paid about the same as a WalMart employee

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

Last year, during his best three-month stretch, Jordan Golson sold about $750,000 worth of computers and gadgets at the Apple Store in Salem, N.H. It was a performance that might have called for a bottle of Champagne — if that were a luxury Mr. Golson could have afforded.

“I was earning $11.25 an hour,” he said. “Part of me was thinking, ‘This is great. I’m an Apple fan, the store is doing really well.’ But when you look at the amount of money the company is making and then you look at your paycheck, it’s kind of tough.”

#12 boink

boink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,211 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

Most remarkable is that so many people who despise capitalism just love their Iwhatever.

and probably don't realize how dirty the internet and the "cloud" are

Power, Pollution and the Internet

....They are a mere fraction of the tens of thousands of data centers that now exist to support the overall explosion of digital information. Stupendous amounts of data are set in motion each day as, with an innocuous click or tap, people download movies on iTunes, check credit card balances through Visa’s Web site, send Yahoo e-mail with files attached, buy products on Amazon, post on Twitter or read newspapers online.

A yearlong examination by The New York Times has revealed that this foundation of the information industry is sharply at odds with its image of sleek efficiency and environmental friendliness.

Most data centers, by design, consume vast amounts of energy in an incongruously wasteful manner, interviews and documents show. Online companies typically run their facilities at maximum capacity around the clock, whatever the demand. As a result, data centers can waste 90 percent or more of the electricity they pull off the grid, The Times found.

To guard against a power failure, they further rely on banks of generators that emit diesel exhaust....

#13 dogstarman

dogstarman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

There is a lot of secrecy about data center operations for the very good reason that their operating costs (and thus profit margin) are tied to how much energy they can conserve. The bigger the data center, the more important power management becomes.

The bigger picture is also important: putting business functions into a data center (the cloud) provides a net savings in energy simply because the alternatives would use more energy.

For example, netflix' "watch instantly" service probably saves megawatt hours simply because millions of people are streaming their videos to their homes instead of alternatives like driving to a theater or even having DVD's manufactured and mailed to home addresses.

#14 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,596 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

and paid about the same as a WalMart employee

Last year, during his best three-month stretch, Jordan Golson sold about $750,000 worth of computers and gadgets at the Apple Store in Salem, N.H. It was a performance that might have called for a bottle of Champagne — if that were a luxury Mr. Golson could have afforded.

“I was earning $11.25 an hour,” he said. “Part of me was thinking, ‘This is great. I’m an Apple fan, the store is doing really well.’ But when you look at the amount of money the company is making and then you look at your paycheck, it’s kind of tough.”

No shocker here. They make huge profits for a reason.

#15 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Apple stock is ****ting the bed. Was a high as $705. Down to $460 today.
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#16 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,596 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

Apple stock is ****ting the bed. Was a high as $705. Down to $460 today.

Yeah the market's reaction is hilarious. Apple had a quarterly profit of $13 billion which was the second most ever.

http://money.cnn.com....html?iid=HP_LN

#17 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

More bad news for Apple:

http://www.forbes.co...-cool-to-teens/

#18 boink

boink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,211 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:24 AM

From April 2012....

http://www.pcmag.com...,2403631,00.asp

Forrester: Apple is Entering a Long Decline

April 26, 2012 04:24pm EST

At least one analyst is bucking the trend of gushing over Apple. Forrester Research chief executive George Colony laid out his case in a blog post Wednesday for why he thinks the company will start looking like just another tech companies within the next four years unless it finds another "special, magical" leader like Steve Jobs.

Colony's position couldn't be more contrarian. Apple just reported record March quarter profits while selling tens of millions of its iPhones, iPads, and Mac computers. In the past few months, other analysts have been jockeying to tout Apple's share price, currently at just over $600 per share, for gains past the $800, $900, and even $1,000 threshold.
But if Apple's riding high now, that's not going to last, according to Colony.

"Apple will decline in the post Steve Jobs era," he writes...

#19 RoyalMarc

RoyalMarc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

That's pretty insane. Even with some recent changes that consumers weren't thrilled about, these guys are still making money hand over fist.

---

Flowers Website Template

#20 Guest_lowieboy2009_*

Guest_lowieboy2009_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:51 PM

yes! Apple is the best =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users