Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DuH Chef

time to pay for the sunpaper online

316 posts in this topic

Doing this is also a smart move because it ensures that young students in grade school, high school and college who research stories online will become used to ignoring this paper as a source of information, setting the stage for the later stages of their lives and reading habits. :)

the Sun might have a hope in hell of making it IF they change their left-leaning slant.

Don't you know that all you have to do to get out of a rut is to push the accelerator harder?:D

i pay for the weekend print edition of the sun ........

if that doesn't give me access to the website without and addition fee then i will drop the print subscription as well........

I'll miss the posters and the posting.

One of the comments in the linked story makes a good point. The Tribune is trowing the Sun under a bus as a test, to see if this might work. These forums aside, it makes little sense to pay for online news content, at least at this point in time. Theres just too many free online sources. Theres really very little newsworthy stuff on this site that can't be found somewhere else.

As for these forums, I've had a lot of fun here, and I like the posters and the interactions. That part I'll miss. I don't do this on any other site. Any suggestions as to where I might have fun in the future?

the Sun might have a hope in hell of making it IF they change their left-leaning slant.

Here is the rub:

They don't think that they have a slant. As far as the editors are concerned, they are mainstream.

Why would you be worried....wouldn't the American Thinker just cover any fee for you anyhow?

Great Norm, coffee all over my keyboard :D

I heard on the WBAL news this morning that "print subscribers will have a cost of 75-cents a week or $29.99 a year." You'd think they would give print subscribers access to the online stuff as part of their subscription.

Considering you can get Baltimore news for free on the websites of other Baltimore media outlets, this seems kind of destined for failure.

My concern is that there is no ready heir apparent to the news throne in Baltimore. As flawed as it is, it is the main watchdog left. Imagine what Baltimore woudl be like w/o some sort of viable public watchdog media - who will catch things like the BPD towing graft? Mayoral transgressions like Dixon's? Like it or not, these things add up and impact all of us in the region in some form or fashion. The death of primary news sources is a free ticket for corruption and abuse to run unchecked. There won't be a light to scatter any cockroaches w/o primary source news.

I heard on the WBAL news this morning that "print subscribers will have a cost of 75-cents a week or $29.99 a year." You'd think they would give print subscribers access to the online stuff as part of their subscription. Considering you can get Baltimore news for free on the websites of other Baltimore media outlets, this seems kind of destined for failure.
Jeez, considering that SOME posters are on here ALL day, EVERY day--they wouldn't consider 30 bucks a YEAR an awful lot for ALL that entertainment! I'm willing to pay it & I live in Ct., tho Balto. born & raised.

Newspapers are in financial trouble all over the USA.

I didn't say you had to buy anything. But think of it, how can the Sun (or most any other newspaper) stay in business if they don't make a profit from the internet.

So if you're not willing to click through ads or pay a fee to view the Sun online, how they supposed to make or profit? And please don't say Baltimore doesn't need the Sun paper, they do.

Baltimore doesn't need the Sun paper- I said it, now what?

Newspapers are in financial trouble all over the USA.

... and they are not even asking themselves WHY?

The keep plodding down the same worthless path.:rolleyes:

Most people with a product will market it toward potential customers, but the news industry seems to want customers to come to it regardless of how they offer their product. Things are changing. Evolve, or die.

There are successful models out there.

Edited by NOTAGUNNUT

I'll miss the posters and the posting.

One of the comments in the linked story makes a good point. The Tribune is trowing the Sun under a bus as a test, to see if this might work. These forums aside, it makes little sense to pay for online news content, at least at this point in time. Theres just too many free online sources. Theres really very little newsworthy stuff on this site that can't be found somewhere else.

As for these forums, I've had a lot of fun here, and I like the posters and the interactions. That part I'll miss. I don't do this on any other site. Any suggestions as to where I might have fun in the future?

Good post. I agree 100%. The Baltimore Sun has very little original content these days. Most of their news is just a rehash of AP stories. Only their local news and sports stories are covered local and WBAL can do that on line just as well. The Patch has a great web site for local news as well. This may be the death of the Baltimore Sun.

I signed up as crabsnbeer on the Southern Maryland News Forum.

The irony is that there are ads on here for companies from which I do buy. However, I'm already their customer and buy through their websites.

How many will pay for this forum?

I like the sports forums here. Knowledgeable fans, a weird guy from San Antonio, and just the right amount of Pittsburgh trolls. If they aren't paying, I probably won't either.

The Baltimore Sun used to be a quality paper with good writers and editors that worked hard to make the paper stand out against it's competitors. Most notably, The Baltimore News American. The paper was a quality product. That is until it lost all competition and anchored itself to left wing influence.

I don't buy/read the Sun anymore, as I am weary of all the stories that accentuate the problems of Baltimore. And with no local competition to speak of, one sided stories do a disservice in educating the public and/or promoting positive change.

I suppose they have to increase their rates just to remain a viable news choice. But that does not mean I am compelled to pay what they're asking for in return. I am willing to pay for news. But not that which is absolutely one-sided.

That's basically it-- if they offered a good product, I'd still be getting home delivery, and would have no problem paying - one would hope they would offer a bundle discount for duo subscribers.

No doubt they have to make money-- It's just their product SUCKS.

I'll be getting my local news from WJZ and other TV sites--- hey, they have commentary, too!! City Paper online is OK, too. Just OK.

" Non-subscribers will have free access to 15 web pages a month."

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/romenesko/147138/baltimore-sun-to-put-up-paywall-next-month/

Maybe that will include the forum?

Two points:

Baltimore and Maryland need a good local news source, whether it is the Sun or whatever. And TV News probably will not fill the bill, although Miller on WBAL and Fox45 do some good investigative reporting. Without a good watchdog, as others have said, we'd be in really big trouble instead of just big trouble.

I like people who say the Sun is losing money because they are liberal. So they can only make money if they report the news the way you want to hear it? That's what cable news does and that is why cable news sucks.

Hopefully other local online news sources see this as an oppotunity for their sites. Its ashame that the Sun cannot figure out another creative way to increase revenue, but then again most Baltimore media is outdated and goes through the motions. Have you tried watching the local news on TV, its terrible, the production quality is so poor, it is almost one step above a college communication department. Baltimore is a stepping stone market, but its not rookie ball. The media resemebles the Orioles, its just there so you folow it, but man, if you would pay for some real talent people would really pay attention.

The readers who do get their local news from the Sun will move onto other sites and get more national news. The residents will become less and less informed, while politicians run the city staight into the ground, it will be like a modern wild west at City Hall.

The Sun is a for profit business, but in a city with 1 in 4 people living below the poverty level ,do you really think there is alot of expendable income? Thirty dollars doesn't seem like much to ask for, but it will be looked as an extra expense and people will just "surf" away.

I can only hope they require a subscription to post here. The silence of the something for nothing crowd will be deafening.

And just think, from then on you'll only have to read opinions from those that think exactly like yourself.

"

Two points:

Baltimore and Maryland need a good local news source, whether it is the Sun or whatever. And TV News probably will not fill the bill, although Miller on WBAL and Fox45 do some good investigative reporting. Without a good watchdog, as others have said, we'd be in really big trouble instead of just big trouble.

I like people who say the Sun is losing money because they are liberal. So they can only make money if they report the news the way you want to hear it? That's what cable news does and that is why cable news sucks.

agree on the first, as to the second, its not "the news" but rather the slant- perceived or real- (you can debate that one), that goes with it, and of course editorially, the Sun is unquestionably left.

" Non-subscribers will have free access to 15 web pages a month."

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/romenesko/147138/baltimore-sun-to-put-up-paywall-next-month/

Maybe that will include the forum?

Two points:

Has this paper reported on the PG lib/dem that allegedly used campaign money to finance her wedding?

the sources you criticize already have.

Watchdog? The Sun? It's been a hell of a long time! The closest they've come in decades to being a political watchdog was when Ehrlich was Gov.

Is it definite that this forum will be included in the pay portion? If so, good riddance. I think subscribers should get free access. After all, I just renewed my partial plan for a penny over the next six months. Seriously, that was the offer they gave people at my wife's work.

The Washington Times would be the top paper in the region if political slant was the problem with the Baltimore Sun as perceived by those on the far right. :P

The fact that some wish to either avoid or ignore is that print media is going the way of the dinosaurs. News isn't news anymore by the time it gets printed, distributed, and into the hands of readers.

Today, news is available by so many other modern media as it happens.

Is it definite that this forum will be included in the pay portion? If so, good riddance. I think subscribers should get free access. After all, I just renewed my partial plan for a penny over the next six months. Seriously, that was the offer they gave people at my wife's work.

Like I said, if the Chicago Tribune wants to experiment with this then where better to do it than with the most expendable asset?