Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChiefWiggum

Went and got a Philly cheese steak

44 posts in this topic

The one in Dundalk is still open but it's run by someone else now. It's not the same. Closest you'll come to how they used to make them is Fillettis on Merritt.

Hey Ken, if you ever go to AC again, they have a White House upstairs at the Food Court in the Taj. They've been an AC favorite for Years. Dave, a Pit Boss in Binions in LV came from AC and he begged me to Fed-Ex him one next time I went up there.

Here’s the story I heard about Capt. Harvey’s…

Before they bought the place, the new owners asked the then current owners if they could come in and watch the operations for a month before the sale was final. The then current owners agreed.

The new owners carefully observed and documented everything so that they could produce the same product once they took over.

And when they took over they kept everything the same. Same meat, rolls, condiments, soda, butcher paper, paper bags, napkins…everything. And from the same suppliers and in the same quantities.

Their 1st week as the new owners went very well. Same volume of business, same customers. But, as the weeks went by business started to drop off. Word around the neighborhood was that the subs just weren’t the same.

The new owners wracked their brains. What had gone wrong? Everything was exactly the same as under the previous owners. Then one of the new owners hit on the problem. The weekend before their Monday Grand Re-opening, they cleaned the grill. Fifty years of flavor down the drain. And it will take another 50 years to get it back.

Cheez Wiz does not come in a can.

Cheez Whiz at these stands does actually comes in a bulk metal can.

I love heading up there and spending the day in Philly every spring for "chEaster."

one in atlantic city in the trop now too  .......

I was in the reading terminal market in philly last week for the first time ......

didn't get a cheese steak but there was great looking options and lots of other awesome food there ........

The one place I can't avoid in Reading Terminal is Tommy DiNic's.

http://tommydinics.com/

The one place I can't avoid in Reading Terminal is Tommy DiNic's.

http://tommydinics.com/

funny you should mention DiNic's; Wash Post has it as a place to visit if you're in town for the DC

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/convention-escape-plan-for-cleveland-and-philadelphia/2016/07/07/7ab20280-1e04-11e6-8c7b-6931e66333e7_story.html

When you’re not feeling conventional, an escape plan for Cleveland and Philadelphia

"...Fork a signature dish

Double bacon cheeseburger pierogi at Pierogi Palace at West Side Market

Roast pork and broccoli rabe sandwich at DiNic’s at Reading Terminal Market..."

Edited by boink

Pat's and Geno's are overrated anyway

I work in Philly. No one I know ever eats at Pat's or Geno's.

There's a little hot dog shack on Rt. 291 between Rt. 420 and Bartram Ave (just south of PHL Int'l) called RJ's. They make a killer cheesesteak. But up there, a cheesesteak with L-T-M is a cheesesteak hoagie.

I've always been a John's Roast Pork guy. I still can't get used to cheese whiz on my sandwich and they don't use it.

I've always been a John's Roast Pork guy. I still can't get used to cheese whiz on my sandwich and they don't use it.

Most of the people I work with get steak, onions and either American or provolone cheese, and that's it. Although some get (ugh!) ketchup.

One thing I noticed is that most good cheesesteak places in Philly throw onions and cherry peppers on the grill and lay the steak atop it. When the steak is about 1/2 way cooked, they take two big spatulas and chop the hell out of it. Once done, they mold the steak into the size of the roll (and a good Amoroso's roll), put slices of cheese on the steak, lay the roll on top the steak and flip it over and in with a spatula. Grilling the onions separate and putting on hot peppers after the fact is not a real Philly cheesesteak.

And green peppers? Every chain restaurant nationwide has a "Philly cheesesteak" on the menu, with onions and green bell peppers. I've never seen one Philadelphian order a cheesesteak with green peppers!

Sounds like my wife when we travel and she sees Md crab cakes. I tell her don't get it, it will not be the same. After a few tries she now knows.

Except for the place in Pas A Grille Fl. The owners are from the Md Eastern Shore.

I have a friend in Boston who I visit occasionally. The first time I went there and we went out to eat(I forgot the name of the restaurant), He said I brought you here because you're from Maryland and this place has a great crab cake.To which I told him I'm not eating a Boston crab cake bro. When he asked why , I said the next time you're in Bmore, I'll show you why. Now every time he comes here his first stop is Faidley's.

I have a friend in Boston who I visit occasionally. The first time I went there and we went out to eat(I forgot the name of the restaurant), He said I brought you here because you're from Maryland and this place has a great crab cake.To which I told him I'm not eating a Boston crab cake bro. When he asked why , I said the next time you're in Bmore, I'll show you why. Now every time he comes here his first stop is Faidley's.

I won't even get crabcakes in DC. :P

I won't even get crabcakes in DC. :P

Shoot, most crabcakes in MD are complete crap.

Shoot, most crabcakes in MD are complete crap.

Won't argue that! Gotta know where to go!

Is Mo's on Pratt & President still open? Their jumbo lump crabcakes about 10 years ago were KILLER! So were Faidley's, Jimmy's, and G & M's.

On 7/20/2016 at 5:03 PM, mlatoman said:

Won't argue that! Gotta know where to go!

Remember when McDonald's put "crabcakes" on their menus? In Maryland? :lol:.  Needless to say, that misguided notion was shortlived. I never had one one, but a friend compared it to stinky oatmeal. Other excellent crab cakes of note are from Box Hill Pizzeria on Rte. 924 in Abingdon, ( they ship worldwide), and the best (take-home and broil yourself) variety from a great seafood store named Captain's Catch, on Kirkwood Highway in Newark DE if you're up that way. 

I had Box Hill for the first time this past February. Very good texture, but there wasn't much taste.

For my money, Koco's makes the best cakes in the area...and the cakes we make at home are awesome too.

On 7/21/2016 at 9:30 PM, EL-FLIPPO said:

Is Mo's on Pratt & President still open? Their jumbo lump crabcakes about 10 years ago were KILLER! So were Faidley's, Jimmy's, and G & M's.

Faidley's is still my go to. 

Used to go Faidley a lot in the late 80s and early 90s when I lived in the city