#22 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,162 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:55 AM

There is a tony luke's inside of scores downtown baltimore

one in atlantic city in the trop now too  .......

I was in the reading terminal market in philly last week for the first time ......

didn't get a cheese steak but there was great looking options and lots of other awesome food there ........ 

They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#23 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:53 PM

I was in the reading terminal market in philly last week for the first time ......

didn't get a cheese steak but there was great looking options and lots of other awesome food there ........ 

I stopped there two weeks ago on my way to Connecticut. Hadn't been there since my college days in the 80's. It has a lot more options than I remember. That place is what Lexington Market should be

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#24 Chesapeake Spirit

Chesapeake Spirit

King of the Neanderthals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:07 PM

Is Capt. Harvey's still in business?

I think the one in Dundalk is, but they closed their Belair Road location.

Panem et Circenses :rolleyes:

#25 Bartman

Bartman

General Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationBaltimore City

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:41 AM

The one in Dundalk is still open but it's run by someone else now. It's not the same. Closest you'll come to how they used to make them is Fillettis on Merritt.

Hey Ken, if you ever go to AC again, they have a White House upstairs at the Food Court in the Taj. They've been an AC favorite for Years. Dave, a Pit Boss in Binions in LV came from AC and he begged me to Fed-Ex him one next time I went up there.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't try to tell me that what I see with my own two eyes ISN'T what I'm seeing with my own two eyes!

#26 VOSA

VOSA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,960 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:52 PM

The one in Dundalk is still open but it's run by someone else now. It's not the same. Closest you'll come to how they used to make them is Fillettis on Merritt.

Hey Ken, if you ever go to AC again, they have a White House upstairs at the Food Court in the Taj. They've been an AC favorite for Years. Dave, a Pit Boss in Binions in LV came from AC and he begged me to Fed-Ex him one next time I went up there.

Here’s the story I heard about Capt. Harvey’s…

Before they bought the place, the new owners asked the then current owners if they could come in and watch the operations for a month before the sale was final. The then current owners agreed.

The new owners carefully observed and documented everything so that they could produce the same product once they took over.

And when they took over they kept everything the same. Same meat, rolls, condiments, soda, butcher paper, paper bags, napkins…everything. And from the same suppliers and in the same quantities.

Their 1st week as the new owners went very well. Same volume of business, same customers. But, as the weeks went by business started to drop off. Word around the neighborhood was that the subs just weren’t the same.

The new owners wracked their brains. What had gone wrong? Everything was exactly the same as under the previous owners. Then one of the new owners hit on the problem. The weekend before their Monday Grand Re-opening, they cleaned the grill. Fifty years of flavor down the drain. And it will take another 50 years to get it back.

#27 bawlmer_fan

bawlmer_fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:39 AM

Cheez Wiz does not come in a can.

Cheez Whiz at these stands does actually comes in a bulk metal can.
I love heading up there and spending the day in Philly every spring for "chEaster."

#28 volperdinger

volperdinger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:52 AM

The one place I can't avoid in Reading Terminal is Tommy DiNic's.

http://tommydinics.com/

#29 boink

boink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:45 PM

The one place I can't avoid in Reading Terminal is Tommy DiNic's.

http://tommydinics.com/

funny you should mention DiNic's; Wash Post has it as a place to visit if you're in town for the DC

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/convention-escape-plan-for-cleveland-and-philadelphia/2016/07/07/7ab20280-1e04-11e6-8c7b-6931e66333e7_story.html

When you’re not feeling conventional, an escape plan for Cleveland and Philadelphia

"...Fork a signature dish

Double bacon cheeseburger pierogi at Pierogi Palace at West Side Market

Roast pork and broccoli rabe sandwich at DiNic’s at Reading Terminal Market..."

Edited by boink, 15 July 2016 - 04:54 PM.

#30 boink

boink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:50 PM

I've been to Philly countless times and never had a cheesesteak; never wanted to stand in the long lines at Pat's and Geno's

prefer places in the Fishtown and Kensington areas; Girard Ave, etc.

http://articles.phil...p-johnny-brenda

#31 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 01:13 PM

Pat's and Geno's are overrated anyway

#32 mlatoman

mlatoman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,250 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:13 PM

Pat's and Geno's are overrated anyway

I work in Philly. No one I know ever eats at Pat's or Geno's.

There's a little hot dog shack on Rt. 291 between Rt. 420 and Bartram Ave (just south of PHL Int'l) called RJ's. They make a killer cheesesteak. But up there, a cheesesteak with L-T-M is a cheesesteak hoagie.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"This little piggie should have stayed home

#33 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:39 AM

I've always been a John's Roast Pork guy. I still can't get used to cheese whiz on my sandwich and they don't use it.

#34 mlatoman

mlatoman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,250 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:01 AM

I've always been a John's Roast Pork guy. I still can't get used to cheese whiz on my sandwich and they don't use it.

Most of the people I work with get steak, onions and either American or provolone cheese, and that's it. Although some get (ugh!) ketchup.

One thing I noticed is that most good cheesesteak places in Philly throw onions and cherry peppers on the grill and lay the steak atop it. When the steak is about 1/2 way cooked, they take two big spatulas and chop the hell out of it. Once done, they mold the steak into the size of the roll (and a good Amoroso's roll), put slices of cheese on the steak, lay the roll on top the steak and flip it over and in with a spatula. Grilling the onions separate and putting on hot peppers after the fact is not a real Philly cheesesteak.

And green peppers? Every chain restaurant nationwide has a "Philly cheesesteak" on the menu, with onions and green bell peppers. I've never seen one Philadelphian order a cheesesteak with green peppers!

#35 stevez51

stevez51

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,110 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:25 AM

Sounds like my wife when we travel and she sees Md crab cakes. I tell her don't get it, it will not be the same. After a few tries she now knows.

Except for the place in Pas A Grille Fl. The owners are from the Md Eastern Shore.

#36 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:36 AM

I have a friend in Boston who I visit occasionally. The first time I went there and we went out to eat(I forgot the name of the restaurant), He said I brought you here because you're from Maryland and this place has a great crab cake.To which I told him I'm not eating a Boston crab cake bro. When he asked why , I said the next time you're in Bmore, I'll show you why. Now every time he comes here his first stop is Faidley's.

#37 mlatoman

mlatoman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,250 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:12 PM

I have a friend in Boston who I visit occasionally. The first time I went there and we went out to eat(I forgot the name of the restaurant), He said I brought you here because you're from Maryland and this place has a great crab cake.To which I told him I'm not eating a Boston crab cake bro. When he asked why , I said the next time you're in Bmore, I'll show you why. Now every time he comes here his first stop is Faidley's.

I won't even get crabcakes in DC. :P

#38 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,504 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:20 PM

I won't even get crabcakes in DC. :P

Shoot, most crabcakes in MD are complete crap.

#39 mlatoman

mlatoman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,250 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:03 PM

Shoot, most crabcakes in MD are complete crap.

Won't argue that! Gotta know where to go!

#40 EL-FLIPPO

EL-FLIPPO

School & Street Educated

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,252 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Doodad Nebula

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:30 PM

Is Mo's on Pratt & President still open? Their jumbo lump crabcakes about 10 years ago were KILLER! So were Faidley's, Jimmy's, and G & M's.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Give not that which is holy unto the dogs,
neither cast ye your pearls before swine,
lest they trample them under their feet
.â€
~
Matthew 7:6 ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users