Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcorioles

Worst "Great" movie of all time

43 posts in this topic

I'll start,Caddyshack.Maybe it's a generational thing,I just don't get it.

I'll start,Caddyshack.Maybe it's a generational thing,I just don't get it.

You're way off base. 'Caddyshack' is a comedic American classic, with quotable lines for all situations.

Here's two 'great' movies I could even sit through. 'Citizen Kane' and 'Chariots of Fire'. Bored to death 20 minutes in. I gave up on both and never returned.

For me it's any of the Stars Wars movies ... they bore me to death. I was I guess 6 when it came out. I saw the 1st one when it came on regular TV in the late 70's or early 80's and it did nothing for me.

Titanic

And any of the Focker movies (however I have the perfect title for their next sequel..."Mother Focker")

fwiw - boy do I disagree with Caddyshack ! To me it is a "must see" everytime it is on !

Caddyshack did nothing for me. Nor did Christmas Vacation.

While I didn't find Citizen Kane to be horrible, I didn't understand the hype.

I can't say anything about the Star Wars movies, because I've only ever seen the first one. Once. In 1977. I don't really think I'd have an interest in them.

The English Patient. Even the cable networks don't rerun it despite the fact it won 9 Academy Awards including best picture.

While I didn't find Citizen Kane to be horrible, I didn't understand the hype.

Me too. Except for a few nice innnovations in technique, I could never figure out what thye big deal was. :confused:

The English Patient. Even the cable networks don't rerun it despite the fact it won 9 Academy Awards including best picture.
Good point: eminently watchable flix like Die Hard, Ronin, Spy Game, Bourne series, & Adam Sandler (NMCoT; "not my cup of tea") movies get recycled thru all the premium netws. So do the Muppet movies but never Henson's Dark Crystal. Never saw E.P.; don't intend to.

Of all the movies cited here so far, I've seen Citizen Kane dozens of times (yes: plotless, artsy charm), orig. Star Wars x4 in theaters; none of the others after that.

"Chariots" a serious period piece: w/o that soundtrack, it's barely sentient. Took me a week to watch a DVR'd Gandhi. (There are, in fact, lotsa horror stories from the 80s.)

Once in a while, if I get to tell people I was a caddy summers during h.s., they'll ask if I've seen Caddyshack. I guess I don't even make the connection betw. the two. 'Course, then, I've never seen Animal House either.

I have never seen a best movie list with caddyshack on it :rolleyes: .......

geez, might as well put hangover and american pie on the list then ......

its a cult classic with some good sophomoric humor ........

I don't know if No Country for Old Men is considered an all time great, but the ending didn't really do anything for me. Good movie though, just overrated.

Titanic

I thought Titanic sucked too. Now it's out in 3D, so I guess it sucks in a whole new demension. :D

No accounting for tastes, I guess. I just love the Star Wars movies; that to me is (at least one aspect of) what movies are about - whiz-bang escapism. I loved Close Encounters as well.

On the other hand, I have no taste at all for something like Raging Bull, featuring a lead character who is nothing but disgusting and violent and utterly without redeeming humanity.

No accounting for tastes, I guess. I just love the Star Wars movies; that to me is (at least one aspect of) what movies are about - whiz-bang escapism. I loved Close Encounters as well.

On the other hand, I have no taste at all for something like Raging Bull, featuring a lead character who is nothing but disgusting and violent and utterly without redeeming humanity.

Really? Raging Bull is one of my all time favorites. Not much wiz, but a lot of bangs.

Dances with Wolves, The Deer Hunter , Midnight Cowboy all terribly boring written and acted and did not need to be made

I never got the hype about Gone With The Wind

I think it was popular back in the 40's or something, I remember falling asleep through it after about 15 mins when I was like 7 years old or so  :)