Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcorioles

Worst "Great" movie of all time

43 posts in this topic

I'll start,Caddyshack.Maybe it's a generational thing,I just don't get it.

What’s to get?  It was sophomoric humor at its best, which means at its worst.  I saw it once, had some chuckles, but have no desire to see it again. 

Yeah, I went into that one with high expectations and it put me to sleep.  Something good science fiction should never do. 

Dances with Wolves, The Deer Hunter , Midnight Cowboy all terribly boring written and acted and did not need to be made

Agree, agree, and agree.  

I never got the hype about Gone With The Wind

Yeah, I kept waiting for something exciting to happen in that film and it never did.  Though I did kind of develop a crush on Vivien Leigh (she was one fine looking woman in her time) it wasn't enough to keep me nailed to what was basically a period-piece soap opera.  

Titanic

No amount a CGI can make up for a bad writing.  It was a movie with a grand theme in the background and a penny-dreadful melodrama in the foreground. A Night to Remember or the original feature film titled Titanic were much better films, though both lacked the amazing special effects. 

No accounting for tastes, I guess. I just love the Star Wars movies; that to me is (at least one aspect of) what movies are about - whiz-bang escapism. I loved Close Encounters as well.

On the other hand, I have no taste at all for something like Raging Bull, featuring a lead character who is nothing but disgusting and violent and utterly without redeeming humanity.

Me too.  I saw Star Wars in Chicago when it first came out and thought it was great fun.  Enough fun that I went back to see it a second time.  The opening shot where the imperial battle cruiser or whatever it was passed over your head blew my mind. It’s the best argument for seeing the original theatrical release of that film on the big screen; it loses something on home video and I don’t know if Lucas messed with it for his “director’s cut” version.  But the original long shot – WOW! 

The rest of the Star Wars franchise I have mixed feelings about.  I thought The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi were okay.  I didn’t care for the most recent three though.  And I’m not expecting much from the Disney additions. tot he franchise  But maybe Disney will surprise us and make something better than one of their formula action flicks. We’ll see. 

Yes: just what is the attraction of a romance w/ the Civil War for a backdrop? I've watched the first 20 min. 10 times, if only to see future Superman George Reeves as one of those twins.

"The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button"

I never understood why that movie became such a huge hit. It was incredibly boring

'Dances With Wolves' should be renamed 'Yawning With Wolves'.

One movie. Two words.

Road House.

C'mon! That is in the, "So bad it's good." category.

I couldn't stomach the deliberate racial stereotypes. Methinks that's really why it was popular. "Those Were The Days"...

C'mon! That is in the, "So bad it's good." category.

Really, I mean how can anyone discount the immortal line "Pain don't hurt".

In what realm and universe was Road House ever considered to be a "great" movie?

I'm a big Coen brothers fan, but could never understand the glowing reviews regarding No Country for Old Men.