Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ravens2006

Route 24 Overpass

21 posts in this topic

What an encouraging debut at rush hour tonight for the new setup at 24 / 924. Instead of the usual modest delay at that one light, traffic was stop-and-crawl pretty much from Route 40 all the way to Singer Road. It was the biggest non-accident related mess I've seen there in my nearly 13 years in the county. Awesome.

Did they actually open it?

Traffic is like that almost every day from about 2pm on, coming from APG-EA to at least Singer...

I thought it was supposed to mostly help people going Rt 24 from Bel Air to 95?

Did they actually open it?

Traffic is like that almost every day from about 2pm on, coming from APG-EA to at least Singer...

I thought it was supposed to mostly help people going Rt 24 from Bel Air to 95?

Yeah, the bridge was open as of yesterday. I know traffic is usually heavy through there, I go through there nearly every day, but I've honestly never seen it as completely clogged without some sort of accident contributing. Cars bumper to bumper, even through the lights, from about Route 40 to Singer. Took about 30 minutes to get through a 3 mile stretch. Sat through FOUR cycles of red/green at Route 7.

924 wasn't any better Wednesday evening. I ride the 410 commuter bus. It's usually about 20 minutes from the time we get off of 95 to my stop. It took us 30 on Wednesday. Last night seemed okay, though.

Save harford County- Shoot a developer

I feel very much the same. Odd thing is before they f'd it up traffic flowed much better through there and you actually had trees - made for a much more bucolic entry to town. It's an outrageous waste of money and I wonder who paid for it. Bet Wegmans, et al., paid next to nothing. It isn't about the ingress/egress of the citizens, it's about ingress/egress into the Wegmans shopping center.

The new bridge over Tollgate Road / MD.924 is a godsend. Just put down your phones and your coffees and follow the signs and the arrows painted on the road. It couldn't be more simpler. Crossing the bridge? Stay in the left two lanes. Heading to Wal Mart or Wegman's use the right two lanes.

I avoided it for a week, then tried again. This time it was only the second-worst rush hour run through from Route 40 to Singer Road I've ever had there... without an accident involved. They've somehow managed to worsen the bottleneck at the Route 7 and Edgewood Road intersections, and also increased the usual backup at Singer Road. Two weeks in, people should have the correct lanes down by now. A little alarming...

Last Thursday, the lanes from bel air toward 95 and past it to APG-EA were all messed up. No signage, lanes mysteriously ended. ROads were down to that stripped rough layer...seems like a lot of work remains. Guess they were pushing to "complete" it ASAP.

I don't see much benefit to anyone coming out of the WalMart Shopping district or Constant Friendship neighborhoods. .Should be a nighmare during the holiday rush.......PS the lights under the bridge don't change any quicker........:mad:

I don't see much benefit to anyone coming out of the WalMart Shopping district or Constant Friendship neighborhoods. .Should be a nighmare during the holiday rush.......PS the lights under the bridge don't change any quicker........:mad:

It wlll be a mess at the holidays.

The signage on 95 is confusing to driviers that don't know the names of roads.

The powers that be underestimated the public's ability to misunderstand.

It wlll be a mess at the holidays.

The signage on 95 is confusing to driviers that don't know the names of roads.

The powers that be underestimated the public's ability to misunderstand.

Its confused many who do know the name of roads.

Folks didn't realize until they already screwed the pooch that if you got off on 24 you can't get off at Tollgate or 924.

Or they get off at Tollgate/924 and glog up the light because they are going straight to 24 instead getting on Tollgate/924.

Its a cluster F and will remain so, and as mentioned above the holidays will be a hoot,lol.

Last Thursday, the lanes from bel air toward 95 and past it to APG-EA were all messed up. No signage, lanes mysteriously ended. ROads were down to that stripped rough layer...seems like a lot of work remains. Guess they were pushing to "complete" it ASAP.

No signage and lanes mysteriously ending almost got me killed last week. Thankfully it was the middle of the day so I saw the pending disaster and swerved to avoid it. :mad:

Very dangerous section just past the Walmart/Target exit headed toward 95 exit area and EA-APG.

When I came through there today at evening rush hour, traffic was stop-and-go bumper to bumper from Singer Road all the way to just past Route 7. All this "improvement" has done is move the traffic jams around a bit, and it has actually made things worse for folks coming from Route 40 / APG towards Abingdon & Bel Air. Instead of the slow roll for folks coming from 95 on to Route 24... they fly on to 24 thanks to a VERY long light in their favor... and now the backup at Singer Road consistently eclipses anything I've seen in the last decade. Instead of folks from Route 40 slow-rolling in and mixing with the 95 inbound traffic, they get stuck at 3 long lights on 24 before the 924 junction, and then join in whatever madness starts at Singer Road.

It's a shame that a lot of people don't lose their jobs for this sort of abysmal civil engineering...

I'd imagine 3rd and 4th travel lanes in either direction from Rt. 1 to I 95 would have been much more useful (and even possibly cheaper!) than the "overpass to nowhere!"

Funny you mention the third lanes. I said the same thing to my wife the other day. I foresee the day where that grassy median is gone.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/explore/harford/news/ph-ag-abingdon-council-0125-20120123,0,3719267.story

The engineer on hand from the SHA basically says it's a success and any problems are a result of people "not understanding" where to go. What a joke. It's been open for well over 3 months now... people understand the signs you moron.

He's right though, they alleviated some of the backup on to the exit ramp on I-95. Of course, there was already an extremely long exit lane on I-95 TO HANDLE THOSE BACKUPS. It forced everyone coming off of I-95 to sort of "slow roll" on to Route 24. Annoying? Sure. A massive problem? Nope.

Now instead of I-95 inbound traffic dealing with a few minutes extra at the junction, they've moved most of the Bel Air-bound backup down to Singer Road, while also DRASTICALLY (and I mean DRASTICALLY) impacting the return commute for folks coming from Route 40 and the APG North / South areas. The lights at Philadelphia Road and Edgewood Road are a disaster now, mostly thanks to the incredibly long new light for ALL Bel Air-bound Route 24 traffic.

They've literally trimmed a few minutes off the commute home for people who LEAVE the county for their jobs... and significantly worsened it (at least 10 minutes extra on many nights) for many who stay IN the county for their jobs. I'd love to see what a simple "clover-leaf" at the junction of 24 / 924 / Tollgate would have done in comparison....