Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Spiritual and Religious - same or diff.?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:38 PM

Religion is knowing about God (or trying to). Spirituality is knowing God (or trying to).

I am a Bible believing Christian myself, but I happen to believe there are other paths to God, I just have not found them as direct. I am very active in my church, and I do think that is important as to me it is an essential way to Christian living, but I am not down with religion for religion sake - the rules, the judgementalism, the empty traditions. I believe in the Bible and find truth there, but I am no fundamentalist who takes every word literally and tries to force my interpretation on others.

I believe God is love and that spirituality is love, love in the sense of unity, understanding, compassion. Galatians 5: 22-23 says, "... the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."

#42 Bartman

Bartman

General Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts
  • LocationBaltimore City

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:49 PM

I think those guys in ISIS would disagree with everyone here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't try to tell me that what I see with my own two eyes ISN'T what I'm seeing with my own two eyes!

#43 Hexexis

Hexexis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,718 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:27 AM

I believe in the Bible and find truth there

Me too: but the "truth" I find is that God had an awful time keeping His charges in line after choosing them & that by the end of the O.T. he's pretty much given up on them. By the N.T. He's departed & except for the "well-pleased" comment is in the main absent & has sent a surrogate to relieve His "Palestiners" from the misery of Roman occupation.

"...anyone who can offend almost anybody is [a] brilliant and original thinker."--S.I. Hayakawa

#44 tooldtocare

tooldtocare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:35 PM

"Couldn't "Cosmic Awareness" in the way of awareness of the size and composition of the Universe and.,.,.,..these things and would have even the slightest interest in Us"

In less than two (2) hundred years (200) we will have colonies on Mars or at least the moon. Give us a Billion (1,000,000,000) from now and try to guess where we will be by then-? Surly when we pass a lifeless planet that could support life, we will leave our sent behind.

There are Stars much older than ours with habitable planets revolving around them. You can actually see some in the Hubble Telescope. Google them, Wow what sights

& It is quite possible that we have been visited and/or we are being visited by one from one of those planet's right now either probe or in persons.

Who knows?

(:-

Edited by tooldtocare, 08 September 2014 - 08:43 PM.

#45 tooldtocare

tooldtocare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:50 PM

Member posted:

"You know, the funny thing is that there's no solid definition for what 'being spiritual' actually means.  If you search the word, you'll see all kinds of definitions out there.  It's not like when you think you might have a fever and you stick a thermometer in your mouth and you can check your temperature.  It's a mental thing that people have an intuition about..,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,."

I just wanted to re-post some of you words, hope you don't mind

As a bystander, Thank You for that post (:-

Edited by tooldtocare, 08 September 2014 - 08:51 PM.

#46 tooldtocare

tooldtocare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:58 PM

I think those guys in ISIS would disagree with everyone here.

It is my understanding that the one beheaded had a "Israel" and a USA passport. Other members of ISIS have "Israel" passports. 

To your knowledge, do you believe this to be true-?

Just asking

Answer not required (:-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users