• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 tman1024

tman1024

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

From the Patriots. 4 year deal worth 27 million. Anderson had 10 sacks last year. Buffalo's defensive line may be the best in the league. Williams, Dareus, Williams, Anderson.

#2 tman1024

tman1024

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

http://blogs.buffalo...-in-sights.html

#3 TDL

TDL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

Not even sure why the Ravens are bothering to bring these guys in since they have so badly mishandled the cap and have so little available cap space all they can do for the most part is give these guys leverage with another team by providing them with nothing more than a low ball offer.

#4 18-78-45-29

18-78-45-29

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:08 PM

Buffalo is loading up with talent; yet, I don't see that team doing anything this season.

#5 tman1024

tman1024

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

Buffalo will be better than Miami or the Jets

#6 tman1024

tman1024

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

They should draft Riley Reiff to be left tackle in the first round, then linebackers or corners or wideouts/te the rest of the draft

#7 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,882 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

Buffalo is loading up with talent; yet, I don't see that team doing anything this season.

I think it all depends upon Fitz.

#8 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,882 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

Not even sure why the Ravens are bothering to bring these guys in since they have so badly mishandled the cap and have so little available cap space all they can do for the most part is give these guys leverage with another team by providing them with nothing more than a low ball offer.

I don't know that the Ravens have totally mis-managed the cap -- IIRC, they're about in the middle of the pack as far as cap space goes. But something does seem to be amiss. The Ravens don't have glaring holes like some other teams, but they do have some definite needs to be filled. However, with re-signing Birk, it just doesn't seem that they "get it". I understand the need to maintain some sort of consistency along the O-line, but Birk seems to be the newest version of Mike Flynn. It wasn't until Jason Brown stepped in that the O-line really started to click.

#9 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

With you making that prediction, they'll probably go undefeated.
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#10 TDL

TDL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

I don't know that the Ravens have totally mis-managed the cap -- IIRC, they're about in the middle of the pack as far as cap space goes. But something does seem to be amiss. The Ravens don't have glaring holes like some other teams, but they do have some definite needs to be filled. However, with re-signing Birk, it just doesn't seem that they "get it". I understand the need to maintain some sort of consistency along the O-line, but Birk seems to be the newest version of Mike Flynn. It wasn't until Jason Brown stepped in that the O-line really started to click.

When they structure their cap in a way where 3 players consume $40M of the $120M cap I would say they have mismanaged their cap.I think they have around $5M available but that's not factoring in any of their own FA's they would like to retain.I suppose bringing these guys in even if they know they can't afford to sign them does serve their PR purposes.Look fans we're trying to do something!

#11 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,882 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

When they structure their cap in a way where 3 players consume $40M of the $120M cap I would say they have mismanaged their cap.I think they have around $5M available but that's not factoring in any of their own FA's they would like to retain.I suppose bringing these guys in even if they know they can't afford to sign them does serve their PR purposes.Look fans we're trying to do something!

I do agree with that part -- I never liked the Suggs contract. Or the Ngata contract either. (As far as Reed's contract...I guess that was predicated upon him not having such a serious injury.) And even Preston said the Ravens should have pulled the Lewis contract off the table after he found no suitors, and started over. But they didn't. And now they're stuck with the situation.

#12 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,550 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

Like I taught you earlier, only the perennial losers like your skins are making moves right now. The good teams like the Ravens are shedding old, dead weight and getting ready for the draft where they get their future stars cheap. ;)

#13 classea5

classea5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

Pittsburgh and Baltimore run the free agency and draft pretty much the same way, both are consistent participants in the post season. Neither is going to pay too much for anything except something they know because they played for them each and every day. It will all work out, as usual!

#14 Peej7245

Peej7245

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

There is one difference between Pittsburgh and Baltimore this off-season...The Ravens lost 3 starters (net one since on D, there are replacements that have proven themselves) while Pittsburgh has gotten rid of 2 OL, 1 RB, 1 DL and 2 LB as starters. This difference lies in the degree of housecleaning that had to be done.

Both teams, however, have plenty of good personnel who can step in and typically have good drafts and deep benches.

Both teams also play the FA game well, waiting until the early, overpaid FAs have been scooped up and after the draft when lots of quality players become available. Both teams stress continuity and have demonstrated consistently high performance levels.

Edited by Peej7245, 22 March 2012 - 03:58 PM.

#15 18-87-44-29

18-87-44-29

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:16 AM

Ah.....and yet another FA stud comes thru One 'Winning' Drive and leaves w/a Coke and a smile....and gets the big $$$ from the playoff contender that he really wanted all along.

Someone needs to tell West Side Ozzie to stop hitting the snooze button....things are just getting started.

#16 Peej7245

Peej7245

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:32 AM

Ah.....and yet another FA stud comes thru One 'Winning' Drive and leaves w/a Coke and a smile....and gets the big $$$ from the playoff contender that he really wanted all along.

Someone needs to tell West Side Ozzie to stop hitting the snooze button....things are just getting started.

Why pay big money (and bust the cap) on a D Lineman when the Ravens have plenty of them already, including two (Jones, McPhee) who are already slated to fight for the starting job?

LIke a lot of players, this FA stud went on his "magical mystery tour" looking for the most money he could get and took it - good for him.

Like has been his history, Ozzie took a chance that he could entice this kid with non-monetary inducements, but could not. So what? The Ravens have shown that they would rather pay big bucks to an anchor player (Hgata on the DLine, Suggs at the LB level and Reed - and soon - Webb in the D backfield.

The Ravens also have shown that they would rather pay big dollars to their own young players.

It has worked for the past four years, I'd say.

#17 18-87-44-29

18-87-44-29

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:35 AM

Why pay big money (and bust the cap) on a D Lineman when the Ravens have plenty of them already, including two (Jones, McPhee) who are already slated to fight for the starting job?

LIke a lot of players, this FA stud went on his "magical mystery tour" looking for the most money he could get and took it - good for him.

Like has been his history, Ozzie took a chance that he could entice this kid with non-monetary inducements, but could not. So what? The Ravens have shown that they would rather pay big bucks to an anchor player (Hgata on the DLine, Suggs at the LB level and Reed - and soon - Webb in the D backfield.

The Ravens also have shown that they would rather pay big dollars to their own young players.

I dare say that Anderson is better than either of those 2 guys who are 'fighting it out for the starting job.'

#18 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,544 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:13 AM

Numbers is too stupid to understand that good teams build from within, not through free agency. He's also too stupid to know how a salary cap works. Or he's just a complete loser that keeps saying the same thing over and over.

#19 Peej7245

Peej7245

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:19 AM

I dare say that Anderson is better than either of those 2 guys who are 'fighting it out for the starting job.'

Perhaps so, but that is both unsure...and irrelevant.

He might be a better player than two promising young players, but his cost makes him unaffordable in the Ravens team-building strategy (pay your own young players first, when they deserve it and after their rookie contracts expire)

However, he might not be a "better" player than both of these young guys. As I understand it, both McPhee and Jones had a total number of sacks that were close to 2/3 of Anderson's sack total in a little more than 1/2 the number of plays.

This is an example of having to make a choice under the salary cap: pay now or pay later!

This is also an example of Ozzie not chasing after a player when he knows he has two on the team already. Do you think a professional like Redding had not let the coaching staff know how well these two were progressing? Do you think that Ozzie did not factor that into consideration knowing these two were ready to step in and that Pagano had greater need of a veteran DLineman to shore up his defense?

By the way, in your quote, why don't you specify why you dare say that Anderson is a better player. If you have a reason or supporting facts or anecdotes, I might not agree with you but we will have the basis for a nice, friendly discussion.

Edited by Peej7245, 22 March 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#20 18-87-44-29

18-87-44-29

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:42 AM

Perhaps so, but that is both unsure...and irrelevant.

He might be a better player than two promising young players, but his cost makes him unaffordable in the Ravens team-building strategy (pay your own young players first, when they deserve it and after their rookie contracts expire)

However, he might not be a "better" player. As I understand it, both McPhee and Jones had a total number of sacks that were close to, if not greater than, Anderson's. This is an example of having to make a choice under the salary cap: pay now or pay later!

By the way, in your quote, why don't you specify why you dare say that Anderson is a better player. If you have a reason or supporting facts or anecdotes, I might not agree with you but we will have the basis for a nice, friendly discussion.

Anderson = 10 sacks

Bone's bro/McPhee = 6

Thats just for starters..but I'll leave it here for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users