40 replies to this topic

#1 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

http://espn.go.com/e...b&pollId=135989

Who is the greatest third baseman of all time?

Boggs, Brett, Jones, Schmidt or someone else?

At least the people of Maryland & Michigan are smart enough to know the correct answer.
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#2 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

http://espn.go.com/e...b&pollId=135989

Who is the greatest third baseman of all time?

Boggs, Brett, Jones, Schmidt or someone else?

At least the people of Maryland & Michigan are smart enough to know the correct answer.

Joe Sewell, I remember him well.

#3 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,354 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

Honestly, and I say this objectively, it's Schmidt. It isn't really that close.

Now, are you asking who played the position the best? That's another story.
The kids are alright.

#4 Agrippa

Agrippa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,010 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

Eddie Mathews?

#5 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,694 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

What a ridiculous poll.
ESPN gets worse and worse every day.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#6 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

Brooks should have been in the poll but I vote for Michael Jack Schmidt. Why? 30+ years ago I wrote both letters for an autograph, Brooks kept my baseball cards, Mike signed the cards and included a letter too. Chipper would be #2 and Brooks 3.

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

Brooks should have been in the poll but I vote for Michael Jack Schmidt. Why? 30+ years ago I wrote both letters for an autograph, Brooks kept my baseball cards, Mike signed the cards and included a letter too. Chipper would be #2 and Brooks 3.

are you really ranking players based on who gave you an autograph, rather than how he performed on the field?

that's an interesting set of standards.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#8 TravisMoon

TravisMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,945 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

Brooks hands down is by himself on another level of #1. The real question is who is #2?

TM
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "The Preying Matusz" devours another batter!

#9 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

I'd bet money that Brooks never even saw your cards, or your letter. Having met him several times, I'd venture to say that there is no finer human being.
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#10 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

I was a George Brett fan myself

modern era

Schmidt
Brooks
Brett

very subjective poll though

#11 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,528 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

Boggs couldn't even pull out a win in Massachusetts?

#12 SeaDee3

SeaDee3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,948 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

The best defensively:

Brooks Robinson Orioles
Clete Boyer Yankees
Aurelio Rodríguez Senators, Tigers
George Kell Tigers
Greg Nettles Yankees
Schmidt Phillies
George Brett Royals

Offensively:

George Brett
Mike Schmidt
A-Rod
Eddie Matthews
Wade Boggs
Brooks Robinson
Chipper Jones

Overall best.............................Brooks. Also one of the most prolific clutch hitters to play the game.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

#13 18-87-44-29

18-87-44-29

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

I must say.....I think Bristol may have slipped up here. I mean.....if you are going to include The Wizard of Oz in the convo of greatest SSs ever (as most if not all do).....then Brooksie must be in the convo of greatest 3Bs ever. Both were unarguably the best defenders at their positions.....and Brooksie's bat was a little better than the Wiz.

I will attribute this to a minor oversight on their part.

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

The best defensively:

Brooks Robinson Orioles
Clete Boyer Yankees
Aurelio Rodríguez Senators, Tigers
George Kell Tigers
Greg Nettles Yankees
Schmidt Phillies
George Brett Royals

Offensively:

George Brett
Mike Schmidt
A-Rod
Eddie Matthews
Wade Boggs
Brooks Robinson
Chipper Jones

Overall best.............................Brooks. Also one of the most prolific clutch hitters to play the game.

this discussion usually pops up once or twice a year. the two fielding percentages were .971 and .955, factor in that MS played his whole career on the cement infield at the Vet, and it justifies the narrow difference.

the offensive numbers aren't too close at all. over the course of his career, Schmidt may have let a handful of balls get by that brooks would have played, but he more than made up for it with his HRs and RBI count.

you can't go wrong drafting either player.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#15 SeaDee3

SeaDee3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,948 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

this discussion usually pops up once or twice a year. the two fielding percentages were .971 and .955, factor in that MS played his whole career on the cement infield at the Vet, and it justifies the narrow difference.

the offensive numbers aren't too close at all. over the course of his career, Schmidt may have let a handful of balls get by that brooks would have played, but he more than made up for it with his HRs and RBI count.

you can't go wrong drafting either player.

Quick amusing story. My Son-in-law is from Louisiana. My daughter met him while she was a grad student at LSU. My son-in-law's dad was an LSU QB back in the 60's and he was also a good baseball player for them too. He had a look with the Yankees and was drafted by the Colts but he went to law school and is now a judge in Lake Charles LA.

My ex business partner invited me and my son-in-law to play in a Stag Day golf outing at Hillendale CC about 8 years ago. My old business partner's buddy was Brook's neighbor and Brooks was playing in the tournament. I have met Brooks more than once and have played golf with him but I knew that Joe's neighbor would be happy to introduce my son-in-law to him.

We are having a few beers after the round and I ask my son-in-law if he would like to meet the greatest 3rd baseman to ever play the game. He looks at me and says "damn Charlie..is Mike Schmidt here?" To which I almost hit him with a beer bottle.
I looked at him and said "Mike Schmidt"? F you and walked away. I then told him it was Brooks Robinson and my friend introduces my son-in-law, Britt, to Brooks and they must have talked for a 1/2 hour. Britt comes back looking for me and says "What a great guy! I can't believe he spent all that time talking to me about growing up in Little Rock and knowing all about LSU".

About a 1/2 hour later Britt grabs his cell phone calls his dad in Louisiana and tells him he just met Brooks Robinson and his dad was as excited as a kid at Christmas and asked his son to let him talk to Brooks and he did. When I told Britt's dad about the Mike Schmidt incident he told me that the next time he saw his son he was going to kick him in the @$$ (lol). Brooks is The Baltimore Orioles. He is who most us wanted to grow up and be and wanted our kids to be. He is kind and considerate and I don't think he could be nasty to someone if you threatened him with a law suit. he has been in a hospital in Florida since taking a fall from a stage. I wish him a speedy recovery.

I remember a famous sports writer being told that when Reggie Jackson left the Orioles and went to the Yankees they named a candy bar after him. The sports writer looked at the guy and told him in Baltimore we have Brooks and people name their kids after him.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

#16 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

Quick amusing story. My Son-in-law is from Louisiana. My daughter met him while she was a grad student at LSU. My son-in-law's dad was an LSU QB back in the 60's and he was also a good baseball player for them too. He had a look with the Yankees and was drafted by the Colts but he went to law school and is now a judge in Lake Charles LA.

My ex business partner invited me and my son-in-law to play in a Stag Day golf outing at Hillendale CC about 8 years ago. My old business partner's buddy was Brook's neighbor and Brooks was playing in the tournament. I have met Brooks more than once and have played golf with him but I knew that Joe's neighbor would be happy to introduce my son-in-law to him.

We are having a few beers after the round and I ask my son-in-law if he would like to meet the greatest 3rd baseman to ever play the game. He looks at me and says "damn Charlie..is Mike Schmidt here?" To which I almost hit him with a beer bottle.
I looked at him and said "Mike Schmidt"? F you and walked away. I then told him it was Brooks Robinson and my friend introduces my son-in-law, Britt, to Brooks and they must have talked for a 1/2 hour. Britt comes back looking for me and says "What a great guy! I can't believe he spent all that time talking to me about growing up in Little Rock and knowing all about LSU".

About a 1/2 hour later Britt grabs his cell phone calls his dad in Louisiana and tells him he just met Brooks Robinson and his dad was as excited as a kid at Christmas and asked his son to let him talk to Brooks and he did. When I told Britt's dad about the Mike Schmidt incident he told me that the next time he saw his son he was going to kick him in the @$$ (lol). Brooks is The Baltimore Orioles. He is who most us wanted to grow up and be and wanted our kids to be. He is kind and considerate and I don't think he could be nasty to someone if you threatened him with a law suit. he has been in a hospital in Florida since taking a fall from a stage. I wish him a speedy recovery.

I remember a famous sports writer being told that when Reggie Jackson left the Orioles and went to the Yankees they named a candy bar after him. The sports writer looked at the guy and told him in Baltimore we have Brooks and people name their kids after him.

that's a great story. I also like the last part about the writer and Reggie. Brooks is the man. he was my baseball hero when I was growing up. even though his playing days were mostly before my time, I still wanted to be Brooks when I grew up.

#17 joe cool

joe cool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:08 AM

Just because Brooks was a hero to you guys, and you guys thought of him as a great player, doesn’t mean that the rest of the country felt the same. I think the names submitted were definitely worthy and obviously the people that made the poll didn’t view Brooks as worthy of being a part of this poll, so get over yourselves!! :cool:

GO YANKS:cool:

It is great to be back home!!!

Go Yankees, Go Giants, Go NY Where Champions Are Born!!!;)

#18 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

Just because Brooks was a hero to you guys, and you guys thought of him as a great player, doesn’t mean that the rest of the country felt the same. I think the names submitted were definitely worthy and obviously the people that made the poll didn’t view Brooks as worthy of being a part of this poll, so get over yourselves!! :cool:

so let me get this straight....your on a Baltimore message board, and you think people shouldn't think/post that Brooks belongs on that list. Maybe you should get over yourself. What a stupid post....or are you just trying to piss people off ?

Not INCLUDING Brooks in any greatest list is ludicrous.
A hall of famer during the Orioles glory years with multiple World Series victories. Oh, one more thing.....the greatest defensive 3rd basemen of all time. But hey Yankeee fan let's just skip right over the facts.
Why don't you go take a poll across the country and see if BROOKS qualifies for that list.

Damn people are idiots !

#19 Agrippa

Agrippa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,010 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

Brooks is a top 3 3B of all time. He's better than Boggs, unquestionably.
Brett, Schmidt and Chipper Jones are the 3 best to come after Brooks. Kell and Mathews the best before Brooks came into the league, both better hitters than Brooks but not better fielders.

#20 moojer

moojer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

My write-in vote would go to Leo Gomez!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users