Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LarryN

ESPN 3rd Baseman poll...

41 posts in this topic

Brooks should have been in the poll but I vote for Michael Jack Schmidt. Why? 30+ years ago I wrote both letters for an autograph, Brooks kept my baseball cards, Mike signed the cards and included a letter too. Chipper would be #2 and Brooks 3.

Brooks should have been in the poll but I vote for Michael Jack Schmidt. Why? 30+ years ago I wrote both letters for an autograph, Brooks kept my baseball cards, Mike signed the cards and included a letter too. Chipper would be #2 and Brooks 3.

are you really ranking players based on who gave you an autograph, rather than how he performed on the field?

that's an interesting set of standards.

I'd bet money that Brooks never even saw your cards, or your letter. Having met him several times, I'd venture to say that there is no finer human being.

The best defensively:

Brooks Robinson Orioles

Clete Boyer Yankees

Aurelio Rodríguez Senators, Tigers

George Kell Tigers

Greg Nettles Yankees

Schmidt Phillies

George Brett Royals

Offensively:

George Brett

Mike Schmidt

A-Rod

Eddie Matthews

Wade Boggs

Brooks Robinson

Chipper Jones

Overall best.............................Brooks. Also one of the most prolific clutch hitters to play the game.

I must say.....I think Bristol may have slipped up here. I mean.....if you are going to include The Wizard of Oz in the convo of greatest SSs ever (as most if not all do).....then Brooksie must be in the convo of greatest 3Bs ever. Both were unarguably the best defenders at their positions.....and Brooksie's bat was a little better than the Wiz.

I will attribute this to a minor oversight on their part.

The best defensively:

Brooks Robinson Orioles

Clete Boyer Yankees

Aurelio Rodríguez Senators, Tigers

George Kell Tigers

Greg Nettles Yankees

Schmidt Phillies

George Brett Royals

Offensively:

George Brett

Mike Schmidt

A-Rod

Eddie Matthews

Wade Boggs

Brooks Robinson

Chipper Jones

Overall best.............................Brooks. Also one of the most prolific clutch hitters to play the game.

this discussion usually pops up once or twice a year. the two fielding percentages were .971 and .955, factor in that MS played his whole career on the cement infield at the Vet, and it justifies the narrow difference.

the offensive numbers aren't too close at all. over the course of his career, Schmidt may have let a handful of balls get by that brooks would have played, but he more than made up for it with his HRs and RBI count.

you can't go wrong drafting either player.

this discussion usually pops up once or twice a year. the two fielding percentages were .971 and .955, factor in that MS played his whole career on the cement infield at the Vet, and it justifies the narrow difference.

the offensive numbers aren't too close at all. over the course of his career, Schmidt may have let a handful of balls get by that brooks would have played, but he more than made up for it with his HRs and RBI count.

you can't go wrong drafting either player.

Quick amusing story. My Son-in-law is from Louisiana. My daughter met him while she was a grad student at LSU. My son-in-law's dad was an LSU QB back in the 60's and he was also a good baseball player for them too. He had a look with the Yankees and was drafted by the Colts but he went to law school and is now a judge in Lake Charles LA.

My ex business partner invited me and my son-in-law to play in a Stag Day golf outing at Hillendale CC about 8 years ago. My old business partner's buddy was Brook's neighbor and Brooks was playing in the tournament. I have met Brooks more than once and have played golf with him but I knew that Joe's neighbor would be happy to introduce my son-in-law to him.

We are having a few beers after the round and I ask my son-in-law if he would like to meet the greatest 3rd baseman to ever play the game. He looks at me and says "damn Charlie..is Mike Schmidt here?" To which I almost hit him with a beer bottle.

I looked at him and said "Mike Schmidt"? F you and walked away. I then told him it was Brooks Robinson and my friend introduces my son-in-law, Britt, to Brooks and they must have talked for a 1/2 hour. Britt comes back looking for me and says "What a great guy! I can't believe he spent all that time talking to me about growing up in Little Rock and knowing all about LSU".

About a 1/2 hour later Britt grabs his cell phone calls his dad in Louisiana and tells him he just met Brooks Robinson and his dad was as excited as a kid at Christmas and asked his son to let him talk to Brooks and he did. When I told Britt's dad about the Mike Schmidt incident he told me that the next time he saw his son he was going to kick him in the @$$ (lol). Brooks is The Baltimore Orioles. He is who most us wanted to grow up and be and wanted our kids to be. He is kind and considerate and I don't think he could be nasty to someone if you threatened him with a law suit. he has been in a hospital in Florida since taking a fall from a stage. I wish him a speedy recovery.

I remember a famous sports writer being told that when Reggie Jackson left the Orioles and went to the Yankees they named a candy bar after him. The sports writer looked at the guy and told him in Baltimore we have Brooks and people name their kids after him.

Quick amusing story. My Son-in-law is from Louisiana. My daughter met him while she was a grad student at LSU. My son-in-law's dad was an LSU QB back in the 60's and he was also a good baseball player for them too. He had a look with the Yankees and was drafted by the Colts but he went to law school and is now a judge in Lake Charles LA.

My ex business partner invited me and my son-in-law to play in a Stag Day golf outing at Hillendale CC about 8 years ago. My old business partner's buddy was Brook's neighbor and Brooks was playing in the tournament. I have met Brooks more than once and have played golf with him but I knew that Joe's neighbor would be happy to introduce my son-in-law to him.

We are having a few beers after the round and I ask my son-in-law if he would like to meet the greatest 3rd baseman to ever play the game. He looks at me and says "damn Charlie..is Mike Schmidt here?" To which I almost hit him with a beer bottle.

I looked at him and said "Mike Schmidt"? F you and walked away. I then told him it was Brooks Robinson and my friend introduces my son-in-law, Britt, to Brooks and they must have talked for a 1/2 hour. Britt comes back looking for me and says "What a great guy! I can't believe he spent all that time talking to me about growing up in Little Rock and knowing all about LSU".

About a 1/2 hour later Britt grabs his cell phone calls his dad in Louisiana and tells him he just met Brooks Robinson and his dad was as excited as a kid at Christmas and asked his son to let him talk to Brooks and he did. When I told Britt's dad about the Mike Schmidt incident he told me that the next time he saw his son he was going to kick him in the @$$ (lol). Brooks is The Baltimore Orioles. He is who most us wanted to grow up and be and wanted our kids to be. He is kind and considerate and I don't think he could be nasty to someone if you threatened him with a law suit. he has been in a hospital in Florida since taking a fall from a stage. I wish him a speedy recovery.

I remember a famous sports writer being told that when Reggie Jackson left the Orioles and went to the Yankees they named a candy bar after him. The sports writer looked at the guy and told him in Baltimore we have Brooks and people name their kids after him.

that's a great story. I also like the last part about the writer and Reggie. Brooks is the man. he was my baseball hero when I was growing up. even though his playing days were mostly before my time, I still wanted to be Brooks when I grew up.

Just because Brooks was a hero to you guys, and you guys thought of him as a great player, doesn’t mean that the rest of the country felt the same. I think the names submitted were definitely worthy and obviously the people that made the poll didn’t view Brooks as worthy of being a part of this poll, so get over yourselves!! B)

Just because Brooks was a hero to you guys, and you guys thought of him as a great player, doesn’t mean that the rest of the country felt the same. I think the names submitted were definitely worthy and obviously the people that made the poll didn’t view Brooks as worthy of being a part of this poll, so get over yourselves!! B)

so let me get this straight....your on a Baltimore message board, and you think people shouldn't think/post that Brooks belongs on that list. Maybe you should get over yourself. What a stupid post....or are you just trying to piss people off ?

Not INCLUDING Brooks in any greatest list is ludicrous.

A hall of famer during the Orioles glory years with multiple World Series victories. Oh, one more thing.....the greatest defensive 3rd basemen of all time. But hey Yankeee fan let's just skip right over the facts.

Why don't you go take a poll across the country and see if BROOKS qualifies for that list.

Damn people are idiots !

Brooks is a top 3 3B of all time. He's better than Boggs, unquestionably.

Brett, Schmidt and Chipper Jones are the 3 best to come after Brooks. Kell and Mathews the best before Brooks came into the league, both better hitters than Brooks but not better fielders.

And don't forget Pie Traynor.

I think as big of a question of why Brooks wasn't on the list, is why Boggs was on it.

it's ESPN, they don't write anything without including something about NY or Bos. Boggs played for both. how could he not be the greatest 3b in history

so let me get this straight....your on a Baltimore message board, and you think people shouldn't think/post that Brooks belongs on that list. Maybe you should get over yourself. What a stupid post....or are you just trying to piss people off ?

Not INCLUDING Brooks in any greatest list is ludicrous.

A hall of famer during the Orioles glory years with multiple World Series victories. Oh, one more thing.....the greatest defensive 3rd basemen of all time. But hey Yankeee fan let's just skip right over the facts.

Why don't you go take a poll across the country and see if BROOKS qualifies for that list.

Damn people are idiots !

Dude......maybe you need to get over your self. Not every1 here is looking to stir up crap and break ppl's family jewels. But not every1 is going to come here and faun over your local teams either. I fail to understand how one makes that leap though.....from not being a fan of a Baltimore team to trying to '(tick) ppl off.' :confused:

What'd I miss? :confused:

Dude......maybe you need to get over your self. Not every1 here is looking to stir up crap and break ppl's family jewels. But not every1 is going to come here and faun over your local teams either. I fail to understand how one makes that leap though.....from not being a fan of a Baltimore team to trying to '(tick) ppl off.' :confused:

What'd I miss? :confused:

you are the biggest idiot on these boards and you know it

Joe Fool is right behind ya.....you guys live to piss on ANYTHING Baltimore

I don't care if this is a public forum you and your pal know it's 99% Pro Baltimore...now go F off

let's not play games

Brooks is a top 3 3B of all time. He's better than Boggs, unquestionably.

Brett, Schmidt and Chipper Jones are the 3 best to come after Brooks. Kell and Mathews the best before Brooks came into the league, both better hitters than Brooks but not better fielders.

I get why some would pick Chipper, Schmidt and Brett over Brooks. They have better offensive stats.

But not to include Brooks on ANY list when it comes to best all-time.....as I said earlier....idiotic. This includes locker combo and Joe Fool

and I happen to think nettles was a top 3 defensive 3rd basemen