10 replies to this topic

#1 ghetto_gospel

ghetto_gospel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:41 PM

http://www.examiner.....programs-place

was looking on another website and saw this... just want to get people's view on this.. and if they think suggs or anyone else would receive any type of penalty??

#2 ghetto_gospel

ghetto_gospel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:08 AM

http://www.examiner....-programs-place

New link..

sorry..

but still want peoples input though about it...

#3 babylinux

babylinux

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:23 AM

that was four years ago (Suggs)...not sure the NFL would backtrack that far?

#4 classea5

classea5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:33 AM

There is a difference between spouting off in a typical Suggs like manner, although I find Suggs very entertaining, and a system of bounties that is part of the culture and knowingly supported by team staff. Harbs would never condone this, never, and you can take that to the bank!!

#5 18-87-44-29

18-87-44-29

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

There is a difference between spouting off in a typical Suggs like manner, although I find Suggs very entertaining, and a system of bounties that is part of the culture and knowingly supported by team staff. Harbs would never condone this, never, and you can take that to the bank!!

Right.....just as we were all so sure the seemingly classy Payton would never condone something like this either. :rolleyes:

#6 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:20 AM

Right.....just as we were all so sure the seemingly classy Payton would never condone something like this either. :rolleyes:

In reality, it's the players who start this stuff more than the coaches. But, it's up to the coach to shut this stuff down.

Do I think Suggs would have been part of the gang if he played in New Orleans? YEP! Do I think Vilma and his buddies would have been doing this stuff if their MLB was Mr. Lewis? NOPE!

Say all you want about knives and hard hits but other players in the league know Lewis plays hard but respects his opponents. He would not tolerate any formal bounty program but few in the league have his forceful presence and sadly, more are like Vilma...and the Colts/Steelers...whoever you root for now that Indy is in shambles.

#7 AntiMoon

AntiMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,074 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

Redskins players like M bowen admitted to bounty program under Williams and NFL just swept it under the rug so I doubt anything happens to us. No doubt in my mind both Ravens and Steelers have had bounty programs when they've played each other. Saints got the death penalty not because of bounties but because they were warned to stop, didn't and then continued to lie about it.
Only 48 days til hockey season.
Only 31 days til football season.

#8 classea5

classea5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

No one thought Payton was classy, as a matter of fact he had some investigations into shady financial deals a few years back.

#9 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,592 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

Who knows. I sort of doubt it, but it wouldn't shock me either.

I think the things that made the Saints stand out and get special attention were:

1) The league had made many inquiries to them about it in recent years
2) The team said nothing was going on
3) Evidence suggested that it continued after multiple league inquiries and warnings
4) Team officials, in the big picture, lied about it and the league believes they willfully lied about it (not simply answering incorrectly because of ignorance, but knowingly misleading)
5) ...and this might even be the most egregious one of all... coaches and staff were actively involved in it all along

None of it is right. The league knows that they'll never be able to prevent the players from throwing some money in a secret stash and then doling it out whenever one of them makes a big play (whether that's a TD catch or a concussion quality hit). I think we're foolish if we don't think that Ward would get some off-the-record gifts / compensation from teammates when he laid someone out. I think we're foolish if we don't think Johnson didn't get some sort of "reward" for the hit he put on Ward in the opener, or that Scott didn't get a free meal or something for de-cleating Ben back in '06. But they CANNOT allow their organizations to not only protect / cover up the activity... but even participate in it themselves.

Players suing players for their own private foolishness is one thing. Players suing teams / the league for what basically amounts to team-sanctioned "hunting" is a much, much bigger concern to the league as a whole.
"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#10 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,844 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

Who knows. I sort of doubt it, but it wouldn't shock me either.

I think the things that made the Saints stand out and get special attention were:

1) The league had made many inquiries to them about it in recent years
2) The team said nothing was going on
3) Evidence suggested that it continued after multiple league inquiries and warnings
4) Team officials, in the big picture, lied about it and the league believes they willfully lied about it (not simply answering incorrectly because of ignorance, but knowingly misleading)
5) ...and this might even be the most egregious one of all... coaches and staff were actively involved in it all along

None of it is right. The league knows that they'll never be able to prevent the players from throwing some money in a secret stash and then doling it out whenever one of them makes a big play (whether that's a TD catch or a concussion quality hit). I think we're foolish if we don't think that Ward would get some off-the-record gifts / compensation from teammates when he laid someone out. I think we're foolish if we don't think Johnson didn't get some sort of "reward" for the hit he put on Ward in the opener, or that Scott didn't get a free meal or something for de-cleating Ben back in '06. But they CANNOT allow their organizations to not only protect / cover up the activity... but even participate in it themselves.

Players suing players for their own private foolishness is one thing. Players suing teams / the league for what basically amounts to team-sanctioned "hunting" is a much, much bigger concern to the league as a whole.

Excellent breakdown/analysis.

#11 18-78-45-29

18-78-45-29

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

The examiner is not real reporting (everybody can sign up to be a writer there) so if you look around you will not find this in the real news. This is most likely a guy looking for attention.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users