• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,513 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

I heard it on the radio. Any confirmation?

2 year/ $10 million

DISCLAIMER: I'm not sure if this is not an April Fool's joke. The more I think of it, it probably is.
-----------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#2 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,662 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:43 AM

http://www.camdencha...o-two-year-deal

Read the quotes and check out the picture... :P
"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#3 gottselig2004

gottselig2004

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,889 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:59 AM

This is what getting stuck in quicksand must feel like huh Birdfan?

#4 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,513 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

This is what getting stuck in quicksand must feel like huh Birdfan?

Indeed. I was listening to a radio station down here in NC and they later quoted the Camden chat site and said they were duped. I don't believe them though. I am sure they just passed it on, already knowing it was an April Fool's joke. I was scratching my head when I saw the 2 year deal at $5mil when no one release wanted him.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,445 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

The Damon quotes are from the scene in Bull Durham when Crash teaches Nuke interview cliches.

#6 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,513 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

The Damon quotes are from the scene in Bull Durham when Crash teaches Nuke interview cliches.

I just finally saw the site where the report originated. I was driving and when I heard it announced on the radio I momentarily lost control of my car. But it was all in fun and I am so glad it is not true.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 joe cool

joe cool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:58 AM

I just finally saw the site where the report originated. I was driving and when I heard it announced on the radio I momentarily lost control of my car. But it was all in fun and I am so glad it is not true.

Believe me if it had been true I’m sure there would be a couple of people on here who would have him going to the hall of fame as an Oriole. There would be a few others who would rationalize that a 2 year contract is not crippling to the team and that Damon still has leadoff hitter qualities. Of course people will say they are glad it didn’t happen because it didn’t but if it had I’m sure a lot of the stories on here now would be the total opposite. :cool:
GO YANKS:cool:

It is great to be back home!!!

Go Yankees, Go Giants, Go NY Where Champions Are Born!!!;)

#8 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,971 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

Believe me if it had been true I’m sure there would be a couple of people on here who would have him going to the hall of fame as an Oriole. There would be a few others who would rationalize that a 2 year contract is not crippling to the team and that Damon still has leadoff hitter qualities. Of course people will say they are glad it didn’t happen because it didn’t but if it had I’m sure a lot of the stories on here now would be the total opposite. :cool:

Guilty as charged. I believe the O's would have been far stronger if they'd signed Damon, Vlad AND Manny and kept Pie around as a late inning defensive replacement. Under this scenario, they would have traded Jones for a boatload of pitchers from Latin America.

#9 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,513 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

Guilty as charged. I believe the O's would have been far stronger if they'd signed Damon, Vlad AND Manny and kept Pie around as a late inning defensive replacement. Under this scenario, they would have traded Jones for a boatload of pitchers from Latin America.

If this team were gushing with players that are a step away from the playoffs it would make a little sense. But Damon would only be a temporary fix with his ABs taking away from the younger players. I am as frustrated as any fan, but adding Damon would not help the O's in the long run, if in fact there is any future for this team. Now, if they added Damon, along with Fielder and CJ Wilson, etc., I would agree.

This is the year the O's need to see what the prospects can do and if they can build around them. That is, if they are seriously thinking about signing REAL free agents down the road.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,971 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

If this team were gushing with players that are a step away from the playoffs it would make a little sense. But Damon would only be a temporary fix with his ABs taking away from the younger players. I am as frustrated as any fan, but adding Damon would not help the O's in the long run, if in fact there is any future for this team. Now, if they added Damon, along with Fielder and CJ Wilson, etc., I would agree.

This is the year the O's need to see what the prospects can do and if they can build around them. That is, if they are seriously thinking about signing REAL free agents down the road.

What younger players - Nick Johnson, Jai Miller?

#11 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,513 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

What younger players - Nick Johnson, Jai Miller?

What? You do't think they are prospects?;)
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#12 joe cool

joe cool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:34 AM

See the problem is that we hear this about the O’s every year. Every single year I’ve been on here we get at least one person, and most of the time it has been several people, talking about finding out if the youngsters are ready for prime time. Every year we all find out that they are not but yet people still want to wait to see if they pan out. If they refuse to sign real players that can help the team in the win column while also providing those youngsters the opportunity to grow and learn from real players they will never again find success. :cool:

GO YANKS:cool:

It is great to be back home!!!

Go Yankees, Go Giants, Go NY Where Champions Are Born!!!;)

#13 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,513 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:26 AM

See the problem is that we hear this about the O’s every year. Every single year I’ve been on here we get at least one person, and most of the time it has been several people, talking about finding out if the youngsters are ready for prime time. Every year we all find out that they are not but yet people still want to wait to see if they pan out. If they refuse to sign real players that can help the team in the win column while also providing those youngsters the opportunity to grow and learn from real players they will never again find success. :cool:

I agree with you. In this case though, we are talking about Johnny Damon, a player who can probably contribute to a club, but is far past his prime. The formula for a winning club is a mixture of high quality veterans with strong prospects. Then you can throw in a few fillers, aka Damon, to round out the roster. However, the O's have not done that. They seem to have been the resting place for aging veterans who are not in high demand elsewhere - in this case, Johnny Damon - last year it was Guerrero.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users