Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone actually read the Columbia Flier?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Seadog

Seadog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

I share a driveway with three other houses. Every Thursday or Friday morning, someone throws four copies of the Columbia Flier on the foot of the driveway or in the grass next to it. They lay there, unread, until Sunday evening when the recycle containers go out. Then either I, or one of my neighbors, picks up the papers and drops them in the bin for recycling.

Yesterday (Sunday) morning, I took Trotter Road as a shortcut to Rt 32 and noticed that there was a Flier laying at the foot of every driveway on Trotter Road from Rt 108 to the traffic circle. No one had picked up "their" copy of the Flier. I assume that those papers will also end up unread in the recycle or trash bins.

What a waste of paper, ink & gasoline. Also a waste of their advertiser's dollars.
"If anyone, concerned really for truth, undertake the confutation of my hypothesis, I promise him either to recant my mistake, upon fair conviction; or to answer his difficulties. But he must remember two things: First, that cavilling here and there, at some expression, or little incident of my discourse, is not an answer to my book. Secondly, that I shall not take railing for arguments, nor think either of these worth my notice". John Locke, (First Treatise, Preface).

#2 Seadog

Seadog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

Wow, 56 views and no replies. Either no one else reads the Flier either, or no one thinks the topic is worth a few keystrokes.
"If anyone, concerned really for truth, undertake the confutation of my hypothesis, I promise him either to recant my mistake, upon fair conviction; or to answer his difficulties. But he must remember two things: First, that cavilling here and there, at some expression, or little incident of my discourse, is not an answer to my book. Secondly, that I shall not take railing for arguments, nor think either of these worth my notice". John Locke, (First Treatise, Preface).

#3 canis

canis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

Sd, another possibility is that none of the viewers so far are from that area. Sorry, I'm not either.

#4 Seadog

Seadog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

Canis,
Maybe, but it's up to 2,519 views. Kind of hard to believe that many people from outside Howard County would have clicked on this.

#5 Scaggsville

Scaggsville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,042 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

I don't read the Columbia Flier. I get a similarly useless waste of a good tree fish wrapper called the Laurel Leader. Since I cancelled the Washington Post, the Laurel Leader was at a premium this summer as a table cover for my crab feasts.

#6 The Eternal White Belt

The Eternal White Belt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

I read it.

Also, page views does not mean real people are viewing the thread. Every time a search 'bot' views the page, it increases the number page views.

#7 Seadog

Seadog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

I read it.

Also, page views does not mean real people are viewing the thread. Every time a search 'bot' views the page, it increases the number page views.

Interesting. I learn something new every day.

#8 Seadog

Seadog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

OK, I partially retract my OP.

This weekend, I picked up the Flyer and carried it into the house to recycle, just so it wouldn't be laying on the driveway all weekend.

My wife noticed that the paper was unusually fat, so she looked inside and found a copy of Howard Magazine. We read it and found a number of interesting articles, in the magazine, the paper went into the recycle bin unread.

Note, when the Flyer first started showing up, I thumbed through a few issues to see if they had the same content as the Howard County Times. Yes, as far as Columbia is concerned, not so much for the rest of the county.

We'll keep subscribing to the Times, and keep recycling the Flyer.

#9 The Eternal White Belt

The Eternal White Belt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

I generally flip through the flier and look at the letters to the editor. I like to see what my neighbors are concerned about in the community and what events are happening. I generally spend about 5 minutes looking at it.

#10 Seadog

Seadog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

I read the HoCo Times pretty thoroughly. Mostly for the same reason.

#11 steve_o_2

steve_o_2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

We read it every week. The Sun doesn't have much Howard news and the Post even less (we get the print edition of both deleivered). Most in my neighborhood read it (we're one of the most affluent communities in Columbia--there's a correlation), and it's a stable neighborhood where people are less transient.
There are often two sides to a story and the truth usually lies somewhere in between.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users