Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seadog

Does anyone actually read the Columbia Flier?

11 posts in this topic

I share a driveway with three other houses. Every Thursday or Friday morning, someone throws four copies of the Columbia Flier on the foot of the driveway or in the grass next to it. They lay there, unread, until Sunday evening when the recycle containers go out. Then either I, or one of my neighbors, picks up the papers and drops them in the bin for recycling.

Yesterday (Sunday) morning, I took Trotter Road as a shortcut to Rt 32 and noticed that there was a Flier laying at the foot of every driveway on Trotter Road from Rt 108 to the traffic circle. No one had picked up "their" copy of the Flier. I assume that those papers will also end up unread in the recycle or trash bins.

What a waste of paper, ink & gasoline. Also a waste of their advertiser's dollars.

I don't read the Columbia Flier. I get a similarly useless waste of a good tree fish wrapper called the Laurel Leader. Since I cancelled the Washington Post, the Laurel Leader was at a premium this summer as a table cover for my crab feasts.

I read it.

Also, page views does not mean real people are viewing the thread. Every time a search 'bot' views the page, it increases the number page views.

Interesting. I learn something new every day.

OK, I partially retract my OP.

This weekend, I picked up the Flyer and carried it into the house to recycle, just so it wouldn't be laying on the driveway all weekend.

My wife noticed that the paper was unusually fat, so she looked inside and found a copy of Howard Magazine. We read it and found a number of interesting articles, in the magazine, the paper went into the recycle bin unread.

Note, when the Flyer first started showing up, I thumbed through a few issues to see if they had the same content as the Howard County Times. Yes, as far as Columbia is concerned, not so much for the rest of the county.

We'll keep subscribing to the Times, and keep recycling the Flyer.

I generally flip through the flier and look at the letters to the editor. I like to see what my neighbors are concerned about in the community and what events are happening. I generally spend about 5 minutes looking at it.

We read it every week. The Sun doesn't have much Howard news and the Post even less (we get the print edition of both deleivered). Most in my neighborhood read it (we're one of the most affluent communities in Columbia--there's a correlation), and it's a stable neighborhood where people are less transient.