182 replies to this topic

#1 SugarRay52

SugarRay52

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

http://profootballta...ck-in-football/

I'm digging the confidence he's displaying but based on the fan comments clearly the backlash is ugly. I can only imagine how things will be when Joe's contract gets finalized.

#2 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,584 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

This stuff continues to crack me up. If you ask Jamarcus Russell who the best QB in the NFL is... he should say "me". All of these guys need to think they're the best, and they need to prepare to be the best.

What's funny are all the folks who take it all literally, as if it's some arrogant God-complex driven quote. No friggin' idea what they're commenting on or talking about...
"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#3 SugarRay52

SugarRay52

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

This stuff continues to crack me up. If you ask Jamarcus Russell who the best QB in the NFL is... he should say "me". All of these guys need to think they're the best, and they need to prepare to be the best.

What's funny are all the folks who take it all literally, as if it's some arrogant God-complex driven quote. No friggin' idea what they're commenting on or talking about...

It's as if they want him to feel bad about himself, he should feel good about himself. I really don't think he cares anymore what people think because he knows the haters are going to hate on him no matter what he says or does.

#4 Peej7245

Peej7245

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

I have been listening to the interview (on part 2 of 3) and am impressed with his calmness. I get the sense that he is truly a blue-collar young man who will make our community proud!

#5 SugarRay52

SugarRay52

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

I have been listening to the interview (on part 2 of 3) and am impressed with his calmness. I get the sense that he is truly a blue-collar young man who will make our community proud!

Exactly, Joe is just a confident down to earth blue collar guy and not the whiny sensitive crybaby that knuckleheads at ESPN and NFL Network (Warren Sapp and Colin Cowherd specificially) make him out to be. It really doesn't matter what the media thinks anymore because the Ravens organization is prepared to make him their QB for the long haul and they didn't make a hard run after Peyton Manning or Tebow (LOL poor Mark Sanchez).

#6 can you hear me now!

can you hear me now!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,381 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

do you really want someone leading your team who doesn't think he's the best? that's what it boils down to.....
:eek: CYHMN Enterprises-- Manufacturing gloom and doom since 1998. :eek:

chaos, panic, disorder-- my work is done here...;)

#7 RestonRaven

RestonRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

I think it is a flippant comment. I'm glad he is confident. It really does not matter what he says or does. Literally. There is going to be some segment of the fan base that hates him. On one hand they chastise him for being so calm and lacking emotion, and if he shows some confidence or braggado then they chastise him for being arrogant. For lack of a better analogy it must be a lot like being a President. Too much credit when something goes right, and too much blame when something goes wrong - and some folks are going to hate you no matter what you do.

I posit that had two plays over the last two years turned differently (Anquan Boldin holding on to the TD pass in the 2010 playoff game in Pittsburgh, and Lee Evans holding on to the TD pass in New England) there would be a different conversation among NFL commentators and this fan base about Joe Flacco. Those plays did not happen and as such the criticism from some folks will continue to persist. It is what it is, those are the breaks and that is the nature of the business for most NFL QBs in the talk radio and internet age.

The kid is also in line for a contract extension, so of course he should try and position himself as best he can. He is not a stupid kid that just fell off the turnip truck. He certainly knows how a comment like this would be interpreted by the internet chatter rooms and talking heads. I just don't think he cares what all of these people say about him. We saw some of that attitude towards his detractors in his media comments towards the end of last year. He was getting berated after a 12-4 season, undefeated division record (including an incredible last second victory over the Steelers at Heinz field for the second year in a row), and outplaying Tom Brady in the AFC championship game. He is developing a thick skin and does not care what these people say. Good for him.

#8 18-87-44-29

18-87-44-29

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

I mean......it has to be a faceitious comment. I will take it as nothing more than that.

I mean....as wanting as he is found on the field.....he does seem to own some semblence of intellect.....so how can anyone get to worked up about this? He's obviously joking.

#9 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,631 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

When you make comments like that, you are turning the media crosshairs squarely upon yourself. Eli Manning did it last year, but then he went and backed it up by having a good season, bringing the Giants back from the dead to win the division, and winning the superbowl. Nothing wrong with the comments, I think all QB's think like that, but just be prepared for the inevitable media smackdown. I think it is better to just say something like I'll let the results on the field talk for themselves, but to each his own.
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#10 Terp34

Terp34

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

1. A. Rogers
2. T. Brady
3. D. Brees
4. P. Manning
5. E. Manning
6. P. Rivers
7. B. Rothlisberger
8. M. Stafford
9. C Newton
10. JOE FLACCO

I'm a RAVENS fan to the end. Joe is top 0, NOT TOP 5.

#11 Terp34

Terp34

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

That should be Top 0, NOT Top 5

#12 Terp34

Terp34

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

That should be Top 10, NOT Top 5.

#13 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,631 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

1. A. Rogers
2. T. Brady
3. D. Brees
4. P. Manning
5. E. Manning
6. P. Rivers
7. B. Rothlisberger
8. M. Stafford
9. C Newton
10. JOE FLACCO

I'm a RAVENS fan to the end. Joe is top 0, NOT TOP 5.

I would probably place Flacco ahead of Rivers, Stafford, and Newton on that list, but it would be close to mine. I'm also not ready to give Newton top 10 status yet off of one season and a lot of ints.

1. Rogers
2. Brady
3. Brees
4. P. Manning
5. E. Manning
6. Roethlisberger
7. Flacco
8. Stafford
9. Rivers
10. Schaub
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#14 Peej7245

Peej7245

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

I would probably place Flacco ahead of Rivers, Stafford, and Newton on that list, but it would be close to mine. I'm also not ready to give Newton top 10 status yet off of one season and a lot of ints.

1. Rogers
2. Brady
3. Brees
4. P. Manning
5. E. Manning
6. Roethlisberger
7. Flacco
8. Stafford
9. Rivers
10. Schaub

In terms of QBs as an individual, that is how I would rank them, but I also would state that it is irrelevant...

Here's how the NFL ranked them"

1. E Manning
2. T Brady
3. A Smith
4. Flacco
5. Yates
6. Teebow
7. Dalton
8. Rothelsberger

Based on how their teams performed.

That's all that counts: the rest is fantasy football crap!

#15 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

In terms of QBs as an individual, that is how I would rank them, but I also would state that it is irrelevant...

Here's how the NFL ranked them"

1. E Manning
2. T Brady
3. A Smith
4. Flacco
5. Yates
6. Teebow
7. Dalton
8. Rothelsberger

Based on how their teams performed.

That's all that counts: the rest is fantasy football crap!

You are putting Smith ahead of Flacco simply because we lost the early game and he lost the late game?
Pessimism is just an ugly word for 'pattern recognition'.

#16 18-87-44-29

18-87-44-29

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

You are putting Smith ahead of Flacco simply because we lost the early game and he lost the late game?

Al should be ahead of him anyway.

#17 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,021 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

I would probably place Flacco ahead of Rivers, Stafford,

Wow, just wow.
Its no surprise that the SSA is a mess when they hire economists with pea brains.

#18 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Does anyone really want a guy quarterbacking their team who would say, "Yeah, I'm fair to middlin'. Eh, I'd say I'm maybe 10th best in the league"?

I wouldn't.
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#19 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

Al should be ahead of him anyway.

Why, exactly? What has Alex Smith done to indicate that he is any better than Joe Flacco? Is it because 'Bristol' says so?
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#20 baltimoreron

baltimoreron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,449 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Good for Joe. I like his confidence.

That being said -- I don't agree with him and I sure hope he doesn't want to be paid like the best QB in the league.
Old & Busted - Big Ben. New hotness - Joe Cool.
... R.I.P. Arch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users