• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,513 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

What would you do if you were the Ravens?

What would you do if you were Ray Rice?

I'm really on the fence with this one.

#2 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

I would take care of Rice. He's young, he can avoid tackles and he's great in the passing game. Definitely better than the average back.

#3 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Show him the money.
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,286 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Ray's saying all the right things, but if I'm him I'm staying home. He's one freak injury away from screwing up his eventual long term deal
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#5 Aclobat

Aclobat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

You give him money.

#6 can you hear me now!

can you hear me now!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

you pay him....he's right when he says he's outplayed his contract...he's given the club first round production from a second round pick....the club reaped value from his performance versus draft slot...having said that paying him $8 million a year for 4 years (versus the $7.7 franchise tag) with a $25 million signing bonus ought to be enough... that's slightly more than Chris Johnson got from the Titans...I think Ray is as good as Johnson given the offenses they operate in....there is no way I'd pay Ray the same type of money Adrian Peterson received from the Vikings...no offense to Ray but AP can do more between the tackles and is probably (even after the knee injury) more of a breakaway threat...
:eek: CYHMN Enterprises-- Manufacturing gloom and doom since 1998. :eek:

chaos, panic, disorder-- my work is done here...;)

#7 18-87-44-29

18-87-44-29

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

You give him money.

You give him a halfway decent OLine 1st.....then give him the $$$. Because w/that patch-work job you have up there now....they'll make it very hard for him to earn said $$$.

#8 classea5

classea5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

Vonta Leach, nuf said combo

#9 TDL

TDL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

It really depends on what he's asking for. With the salary cap like it is you can't have a team where 5-6 players consume 50% of the money then you end up having to divide up the rest among the other 48.Not sure a few stars surrounded by a sea of mediocrity is the way to go.

#10 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,513 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

It really depends on what he's asking for. With the salary cap like it is you can't have a team where 5-6 players consume 50% of the money then you end up having to divide up the rest among the other 48.Not sure a few stars surrounded by a sea of mediocrity is the way to go.

That's what makes it a tough call. On the one hand, he deserves to be recognized not only for his performance on the field but on his good attitude. On the other hand, I think it's a mistake to get/stay lopsided as far as the cap is concerned. I felt the same way about Ngata. He's certainly one of the best at his positions, but there's a point of diminishing returns. And honestly, I'm not sure the Ravens made the right call with him. Time will tell.

#11 RAVEN FAN

RAVEN FAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

give RAY the money and then give JOE the money why this waiting time. then we have to worry about the draft.

#12 can you hear me now!

can you hear me now!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

well, what would you do? I mean aside from complain....
:eek: CYHMN Enterprises-- Manufacturing gloom and doom since 1998. :eek:

chaos, panic, disorder-- my work is done here...;)

#13 TDL

TDL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

well, what would you do? I mean aside from complain....

Wasn't aware that I was complaining in that post.Reading comprehension issues?

If a quality player doesn't fit into their salary structure you're pretty much put into the position of cutting them,letting them walk via FA or consider dealing them away for multiple high picks and filling the roster with younger players who don't cost $10 million a season. If the choice is $10 million a season or a couple #1's I'm taking the picks.

I doubt that Dallas ever had any regrets for dealing away Hershel Walker.

#14 boulderterp

boulderterp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

He wants more $ than Foster and isn't as good, can't get short tough yards. If he insists on getting more $ than Foster, let him walk next year, draft a back in the 2nd round and move on. Rice is a 2 down back, that is used alot, but he is overrated. Rb's are a almost a dime a dozen. He was terrible in the playoffs 2 years in a row. Costly momentum changing fumble vs Steelers 2 years ago. RB's in today's league are worth that much money, Foster got a fair deal and is better- enough said. Draft a back, save tons of $ next 4 years to fortify other spots and you cover yourself from injury and diminishing returns. Question who do you want carting the ball on 3rd and 1/2 yard Rice or Foster? That question says it all, they are the $ money plays- rice isn't good in that spot. 2 down back. Let him go. He won't get the money he wants on the open market either, let him get a huge dose of reality, btw MCGahee was pro bowl also. I have always thought he is the most overated player on the team. Boldin close second, small TE basically who can't bowl people over anymore.

#15 18-87-44-29

18-87-44-29

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:20 AM

He wants more $ than Foster and isn't as good, can't get short tough yards. If he insists on getting more $ than Foster, let him walk next year, draft a back in the 2nd round and move on. Rice is a 2 down back, that is used alot, but he is overrated. Rb's are a almost a dime a dozen. He was terrible in the playoffs 2 years in a row. Costly momentum changing fumble vs Steelers 2 years ago. RB's in today's league are worth that much money, Foster got a fair deal and is better- enough said. Draft a back, save tons of $ next 4 years to fortify other spots and you cover yourself from injury and diminishing returns. Question who do you want carting the ball on 3rd and 1/2 yard Rice or Foster? That question says it all, they are the $ money plays- rice isn't good in that spot. 2 down back. Let him go. He won't get the money he wants on the open market either, let him get a huge dose of reality, btw MCGahee was pro bowl also. I have always thought he is the most overated player on the team. Boldin close second, small TE basically who can't bowl people over anymore.

Lot of truth in this post. It boggles me how so many on this board proclaim Minute Rice as the next Walter Payton or something. He may have 2 decent years left.....3 if you are REALLY lucky.....but then there's that whole issue w/the OLine such as is is...so yeah....likely closer to 2yrs.

If you ask me.....better sink that $$$ into other needs (and you have a lot of them.)

(BTW.....agree about Antwan too. Now HE was supposed to be the next Jerry Rice the way most on this board were carrying on and hooting and hollering when they got him. Uh....yeah about that.....:o)

#16 Rave-O

Rave-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

I could not disagree with you more. What makes you think Foster is better than Rice because he is better in short yardage? That makes no sense. As for who I would rather have on 3rd and 1/2 yard, neither, I would rather have the full back do that short yardage work! And how can you say a guy who lead the entire league in yds from scrimmage is overrated???
And Foster is underpaid IMO, he should fire his agent. Houston flashed some money at him and he jumped on it, he had a year left on his contract. He should have waited untill he became a free agent and tested the market. He would have definitely gotten more money. Bad job on his agents part. Ray Rice deserves to get paid a ton of money.

#17 Dub

Dub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

I could not disagree with you more. What makes you think Foster is better than Rice because he is better in short yardage? That makes no sense. As for who I would rather have on 3rd and 1/2 yard, neither, I would rather have the full back do that short yardage work! And how can you say a guy who lead the entire league in yds from scrimmage is overrated???
And Foster is underpaid IMO, he should fire his agent. Houston flashed some money at him and he jumped on it, he had a year left on his contract. He should have waited untill he became a free agent and tested the market. He would have definitely gotten more money. Bad job on his agents part. Ray Rice deserves to get paid a ton of money.

I agree with you that Foster jumped on the offer and could of gotten more. But Foster is better then Rice, PERIOD. I was happy with the Foster deal because I thought it would be easier for the Rice deal to get made and it was about 10mil less then I thought he would get. I think Rice may get more then Foster, but I dont think Rice is better.

#18 Rave-O

Rave-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

I agree with you that Foster jumped on the offer and could of gotten more. But Foster is better then Rice, PERIOD. I was happy with the Foster deal because I thought it would be easier for the Rice deal to get made and it was about 10mil less then I thought he would get. I think Rice may get more then Foster, but I dont think Rice is better.

You and I have debated this subject before so I won't rehash it. But I still disagree with you and feel I proved my point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users