31 replies to this topic

#1 SugarRay52

SugarRay52

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

http://profootballta...-flacco-ravens/

There are truly some ignorant jerks out there (read the comments under the article) but unfortunately Joe put himself out there for the wolves to attack him.

#2 elj1201

elj1201

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

the PFT crowd is usually rough with flacco, they really don't like him. especially since when during the season he said that the ravens didn't get any attention when they beat the steelers. florio made that a big deal with like 3 different articles that made joe seem like he was a big baby and wanted attention. and now the whole best in the leauge thing. come on joe....don't matter if it's a local station or espn, gotta watch what you say to the press. Joe really needs a SB. doesn't have a favorable reputation as a person. it's bad enough he doesn't say much as it is but when he does talk it's somewhat controversial easily taken out of context.

#3 can you hear me now!

can you hear me now!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

comments aren't much different that what supposed ravens fans post here....no need to get wound up about what other people say......I still think he'll be playing somewhere else after next year....

what do you consider an unfavorable reputation? he rightfully poked the media during the playoffs....he shows up, he plays hard, he's a great team mate and he stays out of trouble...should he cure cancer as well?
:eek: CYHMN Enterprises-- Manufacturing gloom and doom since 1998. :eek:

chaos, panic, disorder-- my work is done here...;)

#4 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,134 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:53 PM

Flacco's a good guy, but if you are going to make statements like that, you have to expect some media backlash. Imagine if Matt Ryan had made the statement that he thinks he is the best QB in the league. Threads here would be 5 pages of laughter and insults. Eli Manning got quite a bit of flack for his statement about being elite before last season, and he had a superbowl ring. He got another and shut everyone up. Flacco put himself out there by making that statement, and until he at least gets a team to the superbowl the media is going to pounce all over it.
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#5 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,379 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:16 AM

Most people just don't have the time or the interest to listen to the whole hour-ish long interview. Where "arrogant" Joe, by the way, was at a smallish, blue collar, suburban Baltimore restaurant & bar... meeting with the fans and helping WNST raise money for charity.

Earlier in the interview he joked about how he thinks it's funny how people dissect his quotes, when he's answering a question. 5 or 10 minutes later, Glenn leads with some banter about Eli Manning's quotes from last year, there's some laughter about it, and then asks Joe if he thinks he's a top 5 QB. They had alluded to his contract situation a few times. They had also prefaced the "100 million dollar question" (Glenn's words) question with a remark about his agent's comments. Now everybody is doing exactly what Joe laughed at earlier in the interview... dissecting his quotes with no knowledge of context.

Does anybody really think that Mike Florio or any of the ESPN talking heads listened to the whole interview? Does anybody think that they even listened to a whole segment, or even the 2 minutes before and after the now-headline quotes?

Nope... they read or heard a 5 second snippet of Joe saying "I'm the best" and ran with it from there. And they're still looking to pay him back for his "you guys" joke last year (another instance where nobody outside of the market had any REAL idea what they were really hearing).
"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#6 18-87-44-29

18-87-44-29

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

the PFT crowd is usually rough with the Ravens, they really don't like them.

I think this is more apropo and accurrate. (Sorry for the 'fix')

#7 AVATAR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

Trade Joe for two one's and 2nd rounder.lol

If he's gonna be a problem then get what you can get now.
Taylor can take the reigns..................(I think).

#8 Aletheia

Aletheia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

the PFT crowd is usually rough with flacco, they really don't like him. especially since when during the season he said that the ravens didn't get any attention when they beat the steelers. florio made that a big deal with like 3 different articles that made joe seem like he was a big baby and wanted attention. and now the whole best in the leauge thing. come on joe....don't matter if it's a local station or espn, gotta watch what you say to the press. Joe really needs a SB. doesn't have a favorable reputation as a person. it's bad enough he doesn't say much as it is but when he does talk it's somewhat controversial easily taken out of context.

I'd take him on the Steelers. Big Ben has been going downhill and I am getting tired of all his whining and drama. So can we trade them straight up?

#9 Reed 'Em and Heap

Reed 'Em and Heap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

The media has been getting worse and worse with its provocation of players, and now they've begun formulating their questions so that players can't sidestep them. With the Eli "incident" last year, Eli was asked if he thought he was better than Tom Brady. What is he going to say? Either you take heat from the media if you say yes, or you take heat from your teammates and fans if you say no. He chose to let the media take shots at them, which they did, mercilessly and needlessly. And guess what? He beat Brady in the Super Bowl for the second time in four seasons.

The same thing happened with Flacco. They directly asked him if he thought he was a top-5 QB. What is he going to say? "No, actually I think I'm pretty terrible." If he had come out and said, unprovoked, "I'm the best QB in the league," then, yeah, the media would be justified in taking shots at him. But when they ask him a question that he has no way to avoid without sounding at least a little arrogant? That's gratuitous BS on the part of an increasingly less professional media industry.

#10 Reed 'Em and Heap

Reed 'Em and Heap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

Also, if Lee Evans held onto that ball, Flacco would have joined Eli as one of the QBs to outplay and knock off everyone's "good guy" (who, ironically, is probably the most arrogant of the bunch) in a championship game.

#11 chrisbraven

chrisbraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

I'd take him on the Steelers. Big Ben has been going downhill and I am getting tired of all his whining and drama. So can we trade them straight up?

YES.

I tried to warn folks about this negotiation. Not only are they not making progress, as this thread's title cites, but we are still stuck with the dysfunction of Flacco + Cameron. Two guys that basically hate each other. Caldwell is nowhere near enough of an influence to smooth things out--Zorn is far more aggressive than he is, and Zorn couldn't do it.

Rothlisberger has murdered his character rep, but he is nowhere near declining. He still stretches out plays and still is an assassin late in games. I do not like him like that, but I must admit that he would do a better job here than Flacco has, because his personality would not allow for Cameron to dominate.

People may misunderstand my take on these things, but at the end of the season, we'll see if I was out in space. Status quo Flacco + Cameron will NOT work again. I still contend that Flacco is even in Coach Harb's doghouse.

Unfortunately, there are no viable other options out there for us now. Unless there is some crazy unforeseen trade.

Please hear me right: my problem is not so much with Flacco's skill set, although there ARE aspects that are very questionable; my problem is with the un-chemistry between Cameron and him. It will doom us. If I had my way, Cameron would've been fired after this past season.

I hope we draft Russell Wilson out of Wisconsin. He is a better option for the future than Tyrod.

Braven

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,755 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

Status quo Flacco + Cameron will NOT work again. I still contend that Flacco is even in Coach Harb's doghouse.

Braven

Umm it worked last year until a certain receiver dropped a pass thrown right into his gut
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#13 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,134 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Also, if Lee Evans held onto that ball, Flacco would have joined Eli as one of the QBs to outplay and knock off everyone's "good guy" (who, ironically, is probably the most arrogant of the bunch) in a championship game.

Everyone always wants to put that whole loss on Lee Evans being stripped of the ball. Yes, a clutch receiver should hold on to it, but as Ray Lewis said, not one play lost that game. People seem to forget that about midway through the 4th quarter and the Ravens down by 3, Flacco threw an interception with the Ravens driving. The very next play, the Patriots foolishly went deep looking for a knockout kill and gave the ball right back. But the int did cost the Ravens field position and time. Suppose the Patriots had taken that int, and methodically moved down the field for a TD and take 5 minutes or so off the clock? What do you think people would have called the turning point of the game? There were a lot of plays that went into the team coming up just short. Evans and Cundiff just stand out because of when it happened.
I will choose freewill.

#14 Peej7245

Peej7245

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

Everyone always wants to put that whole loss on Lee Evans being stripped of the ball. Yes, a clutch receiver should hold on to it, but as Ray Lewis said, not one play lost that game. People seem to forget that about midway through the 4th quarter and the Ravens down by 3, Flacco threw an interception with the Ravens driving. The very next play, the Patriots foolishly went deep looking for a knockout kill and gave the ball right back. But the int did cost the Ravens field position and time. Suppose the Patriots had taken that int, and methodically moved down the field for a TD and take 5 minutes or so off the clock? What do you think people would have called the turning point of the game? There were a lot of plays that went into the team coming up just short. Evans and Cundiff just stand out because of when it happened.

On Flacco's INT, it was a good play by an alert LB who did not bite on a play action (he was looking at Grubbs and spotted a "tell" and immediately dropped into coverage and was deeper than was anticipated)

On Brady's INT, it was a good play by the Ravens D as well.

Bottom line for the Ravens, they still lost a heartbreaker.

Bottom line for Flacco, he still outplayed the "elite" Brady and proved that he could come up big in the big game AGAIN.

#15 SugarRay52

SugarRay52

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

YES.

I tried to warn folks about this negotiation. Not only are they not making progress, as this thread's title cites, but we are still stuck with the dysfunction of Flacco + Cameron. Two guys that basically hate each other. Caldwell is nowhere near enough of an influence to smooth things out--Zorn is far more aggressive than he is, and Zorn couldn't do it.

Rothlisberger has murdered his character rep, but he is nowhere near declining. He still stretches out plays and still is an assassin late in games. I do not like him like that, but I must admit that he would do a better job here than Flacco has, because his personality would not allow for Cameron to dominate.

People may misunderstand my take on these things, but at the end of the season, we'll see if I was out in space. Status quo Flacco + Cameron will NOT work again. I still contend that Flacco is even in Coach Harb's doghouse.

Unfortunately, there are no viable other options out there for us now. Unless there is some crazy unforeseen trade.

Please hear me right: my problem is not so much with Flacco's skill set, although there ARE aspects that are very questionable; my problem is with the un-chemistry between Cameron and him. It will doom us. If I had my way, Cameron would've been fired after this past season.

I hope we draft Russell Wilson out of Wisconsin. He is a better option for the future than Tyrod.

Braven

Again you continue not to get it, I guess I'm going to have to smack you upside the head a few times for it to sink in.

#16 Aletheia

Aletheia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

YES.

Braven

Obviously you haven't watched much Steelers games because if you did you would see a deteriation in Big Ben. There were games he looked just miserable and clueless out there. I really don't know whathis problem is but he hasn't been the same. And is anyone here going to argue the Steelers don't have better receivers than the Ravens? He doesn't have that excuse. Your quarterback is a damn good one. I never buy into this elite bs but are you trying to tell me you want to throw your quarterback away that got you so close to the Super Bowl last year? Nobody is perfect, but with Joe as your quarterback, the ravens have been in the playoffs 4 straight seasons. That is all you ask from a team. After they get to the playoff its sudden death and the team that is fortunate to click in the end wins it all.

#17 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,134 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

On Flacco's INT, it was a good play by an alert LB who did not bite on a play action (he was looking at Grubbs and spotted a "tell" and immediately dropped into coverage and was deeper than was anticipated)

On Brady's INT, it was a good play by the Ravens D as well.

Bottom line for the Ravens, they still lost a heartbreaker.

Bottom line for Flacco, he still outplayed the "elite" Brady and proved that he could come up big in the big game AGAIN.

I absolutely agree with you. I'm just getting tired of everyone making Evans out to be the guy who totally "lost" the game. The db made a very good play and stripped the ball. Mistakes are mistakes no matter when they happen. On Brady's int, it was a good play, but it was more of a stupid call by the Patriots. Better strategy would have been to try and dink and dunk your way down the field and eat up clock. At the minimum, maybe you get a FG and force the Ravens to think TD. At best, if you get a TD and eat 4-5 minutes off the clock, the game is probably over. Somebody on the Patriots side got greedy and it gave the ball right back to the Ravens. If the Pats had eaten time off the clock and scored, people would have pointed to the int as the mistake that cost the Raven's the game. That too would not necessarily be fair. Just like it isn't fair to blame the whole loss on Evans.
I will choose freewill.

#18 can you hear me now!

can you hear me now!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

well, I guess not keeping the game winning catch in your possession with.18 seconds left in the game is not the reason they lost...in retrospect the play wasn't any more or less significant than the other 130+ plays.....I never seen a game lost in the first quarter, but apparently a play in that quarter is just as important..I may have to start watching the game from a different perspective.....

in the meantime the "Let's run Flacco out of Town" brigade must be giddy in anticipation....
:eek: CYHMN Enterprises-- Manufacturing gloom and doom since 1998. :eek:

chaos, panic, disorder-- my work is done here...;)

#19 Reed 'Em and Heap

Reed 'Em and Heap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

I agree with you, but the point of my post wasn't really about Evans as much as it was to the original post. It was just something to point to as a way of showing how close Joe was to toppling everyone's golden boy. But yes, people put too much heat on Evans and not enough credit to Moore (around these parts, anyway).

#20 chrisbraven

chrisbraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

Umm it worked last year until a certain receiver dropped a pass thrown right into his gut

Umm, what kind of mediocre, loser mentality says that a year which was statistically WORSE (at QB) than the previous "worked." What mentality says that losing the AFC Championship game, again, "worked." What mentality says that not scoring more than 7 points against Jacksonville, "Worked." Y'all act like Flacco carried his team on his back. Uh, IT WAS THE OTHER WAY AROUND. Ray Rice and the D carried HIM and Cameron's contorlfreak O.

If it worked so well, why is Flacco still unsigned?

Braven

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users