#1 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,585 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ws_mlb&c_id=mlb

Nine-time All-Star and 2004 American League MVP Vladimir Guerrero was in police custody in the Dominican Republic on Tuesday and was being charged with physical and verbal assault to an authority, according to multiple reports.

A report by the newspaper Dominican Today said that the National Police revealed that Guerrero was being sought for an alleged aggression against a police major and for "unleashing a brawl in a discotheque."

An NBC Sports report said that Guerrero had been taken into police custody and charged.

The slugger spent 16 seasons in the big leagues, most recently with Baltimore, where he hit .290 with 13 homers and 63 RBIs last year. He hit .337 with 39 homers and 126 RBIs for the Angels in his MVP season.

According to the Dominican Today report, police spokesman Maximo Baez said one of Guerrero's brothers, two cousins and an employee were being held for their alleged roles in the brawl.

The 37-year-old Guerrero, a native of the Dominican Republic, did not sign with a Major League club this offseason after spending the past few years of his career primarily as a designated hitter.

He is a career .318 hitter with 2,590 hits, 449 homers and 1,496 RBIs. His career hit total is the highest among Dominican-born players.

The kids are alright.

#2 babylinux

babylinux

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,083 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

are discotheque's making some sort of comeback or something? :D

#3 hector

hector

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

Like everything else that goes wrong in the world, it's all PA's fault. If the O's had signed the future Hall of Famer, he wouldn't have been in a disco abusing the cops. Vlad's probably feeling really low having been replaced by non-future Hall of Famer, Wilson Betemit.

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,644 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

if his punches are as slow as his bat speed, he lost that fight.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,644 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

He is a career .318 hitter with 2,590 hits, 449 homers and 1,496 RBIs. His career hit total is the highest among Dominican-born players.

I don't know, those don't look like sure fire HOF numbers to me. none of the benchmarks have been achieved.
it seems to me that a HOF player has at least one of these numbers: 3K hits, 500 HR, 1500 RBI. he looks like a candidate for the hall of very good.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#6 hector

hector

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

if his punches are as slow as his bat speed, he lost that fight.

I'm impressed that he was in a disco. The anti-Vlad chorus in this forum spoke of him as a physical wreck who could barely move. We now have indisputable proof that Vlad has the movements necessary to disco dance and punch out cops.

#7 hector

hector

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

I don't know, those don't look like sure fire HOF numbers to me. none of the benchmarks have been achieved.
it seems to me that a HOF player has at least one of these numbers: 3K hits, 500 HR, 1500 RBI. he looks like a candidate for the hall of very good.

Is there anybody with Vlad's COMBINATION of career statistics that's NOT in the Hall of Fame?

#8 can you hear me now!

can you hear me now!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

Is there anybody with Vlad's COMBINATION of career statistics that's NOT in the Hall of Fame?

yep...guess who?

2490 493 1550 .284

how about this guy (still active)....think he's a HOF'er

2615 454 1561 .304

recently retired...how about him?

2689 509 1676 .292

how about this guy...can't wait for this answer....

2574 555 1831 .312

so the answer he's border line and falls in line with some of his contemporaries....
:eek: CYHMN Enterprises-- Manufacturing gloom and doom since 1998. :eek:

chaos, panic, disorder-- my work is done here...;)

#9 hector

hector

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

yep...guess who?

2490 493 1550 .284

how about this guy (still active)....think he's a HOF'er

2615 454 1561 .304

recently retired...how about him?

2689 509 1676 .292

how about this guy...can't wait for this answer....

2574 555 1831 .312

so the answer he's border line and falls in line with some of his contemporaries....

I give up - names please.

#10 can you hear me now!

can you hear me now!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

that's no fun......

do the work, you made the comment......

claiming the O's released Vlad in his prime is pure comedy gold....if he was in his prime some other team would have signed him....he was on the downhill slide and sadly, his career was ending....

#11 gottselig2004

gottselig2004

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,889 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

I give up - names please.

go to baseball reference and check one of the stat categories until you find your guy...

You run a fortune 500 company amongst international intrigue and yet you can find baseball historical info?

#12 can you hear me now!

can you hear me now!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

hector--- hint:

FM

CJ

GS

MR....

#13 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,644 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

I'm impressed that he was in a disco. The anti-Vlad chorus in this forum spoke of him as a physical wreck who could barely move. We now have indisputable proof that Vlad has the movements necessary to disco dance and punch out cops.

look at you rewriting the story. I didn't see where it said he was dancing and punching out cops. good try though.

#14 hector

hector

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:47 AM

go to baseball reference and check one of the stat categories until you find your guy...

You run a fortune 500 company amongst international intrigue and yet you can find baseball historical info?

I don't run a Fortune 500 company - those type companies along with small and medium sized companies and foreign governments are my clients. I'm a one person company.

#15 rick and roll

rick and roll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

I'm not taking Hector's side (heaven forbid) but regarding the four players:

The first one is one of those who could go either way, but I think he should be in. Reminds me of Andre Dawson stat-wise. Problem is if he played a less power premium position he'd already be in.

Second is still active but is a shoo-in.

Third is an odd case. I did not know his home runs were that high. But he's not eligible yet.

Last one will not get in if steroids are an issue.

So really, only the first guy is comparable to your argument. And he should be in -he played a good first base. Vlad didn't add anything defensively, so he's just a better Harold Baines. Vlad shouldn't be in.

As for Hector, anyone that says Justin Morneau signed a big contract and was jaking it when he had a bad concussion really shouldn't be taken seriously :)

#16 hector

hector

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

The first one is one of those who could go either way, but I think he should be in. Reminds me of Andre Dawson stat-wise. Problem is if he played a less power premium position he'd already be in.

Third is an odd case. I did not know his home runs were that high. But he's not eligible yet.

So really, only the first guy is comparable to your argument. And he should be in -he played a good first base. Vlad didn't add anything defensively, so he's just a better Harold Baines. Vlad shouldn't be in.

As for Hector, anyone that says Justin Morneau signed a big contract and was jaking it when he had a bad concussion really shouldn't be taken seriously :)

You're obviously envious since I have sufficient stature on the board to have a thread directed at me by name and you don't. Be patient - if you offer some original thinking supported in a logical and sensible way, you too could have a thread addressed to you by name.

Since we're doing comparisons regarding Vlad's quals for Hall of Fame, I suggest a comparison to Dave Winfield is pretty much on the mark. Winfield is in the Hall of Fame and his stats are at best equal to Vlad's on an overall basis but certainly not better. That's a far more appropriate comparison than to players who aren't yet eligible for Cooperstown.

#17 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,644 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

You're obviously envious since I have sufficient stature on the board to have a thread directed at me by name and you don't. Be patient - if you offer some original thinking supported in a logical and sensible way, you too could have a thread addressed to you by name.

Since we're doing comparisons regarding Vlad's quals for Hall of Fame, I suggest a comparison to Dave Winfield is pretty much on the mark. Winfield is in the Hall of Fame and his stats are at best equal to Vlad's on an overall basis but certainly not better. That's a far more appropriate comparison than to players who aren't yet eligible for Cooperstown.

Winfield, that's good stuff. I know you only chose him for shock value and to get people upset, so I'll leave them the fun of spazzing out on you.

#18 can you hear me now!

can you hear me now!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

I think the first guy should be in as well....I'm not sold on the other 2 just yet....and the last ain't getting in due to steroids....

Vlad played a pretty good right field and had a very good arm...his knees, much like Dawson, kept him from being better defensively as he got older...

#19 rick and roll

rick and roll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

Please go to a thread you started about taking pitchers out, if you would like to see many of us use original thinking and facts to slam your opinion into dust.

As for envy, the only person I envy is myself for being so secure :P

There are many other boards I'm on and not enough time in the day to converse, so I get in here when I can. I'm actually happy for you that you have this "stature". It probably keeps you from committing crimes or otherwise taking up our legal and police resources.

#20 rick and roll

rick and roll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

I think the first guy should be in as well....I'm not sold on the other 2 just yet....and the last ain't getting in due to steroids....

Vlad played a pretty good right field and had a very good arm...his knees, much like Dawson, kept him from being better defensively as he got older...

I agree about Chipper...but the prevailing thought is that he will get in. Agreed about Sheffield - didn't really "carry" an offense...and good point about Vlad. I let his recent defense cloud my thinking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users