#1 SugarRay52

SugarRay52

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

Per Jason LaCanfora:

jasonlacanfora Jason La Canfora
Free agent G/C Jason Brown mulling options. Visited CAR and SF; BAL, GB, TENN also interested. BAL made a conservative 1yr offer
37 minutes ago Reply Retweet

#2 can you hear me now!

can you hear me now!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

hmmm...that's interesting...not that having him come back is a bad thing...he better hope he gets a better offer or it will appear that he is coming back with his tail between his legs....
:eek: CYHMN Enterprises-- Manufacturing gloom and doom since 1998. :eek:

chaos, panic, disorder-- my work is done here...;)

#3 18-87-44-29

18-87-44-29

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

Let's see.....

Work w/a young stud in Camtastic

Go to an up and coming (if not already arrived) SF team w/the entertaining Big Bro coaching him

Join a team one yr removed from a Lombardi

Join a team to block for one of the greatest RBs of all time

Join an aging past it's prime team w/question marks and unsigned players across the board

Well....I know 1 team that he surely won't consider.

#4 dmac43

dmac43

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Let's see.....

Go to an up and coming (if not already arrived) SF team w/the entertaining Big Bro coaching him

Join an aging past it's prime team w/question marks and unsigned players across the board

lick nutz jackazz

#5 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

Let's see.....

You're right. No way he would consider the Colts (massive depletion) or Steelers (old and capped out).

#6 justforfun

justforfun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

It amazes me how much this guy can write about his own team and it's faults and try to pass it on as a Ravens fault.

#7 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,513 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

Maybe Brown isn't as good as I thought he'd become after he left the Ravens. No one is jumping to get a guy who can play both guard and center.

#8 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,449 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

Offensive linemen are an interesting lot. I never saw the fascination with Casey Rabach as an "elite" C, and saw him get blown back off the ball as much as anyone else at his position. When Mike Flynn was nearing his end and folks crucified his play quite a bit, I saw the same level of play that Casey Rabach was at when he was briefly considered an elite type player. Chris Chester was sort of a project who took a while to become a starter and seemed to be very up-and-down to me while he was here, then he became a precious nugget when he hit the open market. Grubbs is another guy who, while I don't think is a "bad" player in any way, never seemed CONSISTENT enough to me to warrant an elite, must-have label. Jason Brown was similar to me... good when he was here, but not elite, inconsistent at times, and certainly not a guy you couldn't live without. In some fairness to him though... didn't he get injured badly after he got to St. Louis?

Maybe I'm oversimplifying it... but it seems to me like there are a select few elite guys (like an Ogden), more than a few shouldn't-be-playing guys (like a Kipp Vickers), and a TON otherwise fall in to the good-but-not-irreplaceable category. I think Ozzie and company seem to take care not to pay the good-but-not-irreplaceable guys like the elite.
"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#9 dowell

dowell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

Ravens2006...good post....agree...most free agents are over-valued...and rarely perform up to expectations...especially OL and DL players..

#10 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,513 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

Offensive linemen are an interesting lot. I never saw the fascination with Casey Rabach as an "elite" C, and saw him get blown back off the ball as much as anyone else at his position. When Mike Flynn was nearing his end and folks crucified his play quite a bit, I saw the same level of play that Casey Rabach was at when he was briefly considered an elite type player. Chris Chester was sort of a project who took a while to become a starter and seemed to be very up-and-down to me while he was here, then he became a precious nugget when he hit the open market. Grubbs is another guy who, while I don't think is a "bad" player in any way, never seemed CONSISTENT enough to me to warrant an elite, must-have label. Jason Brown was similar to me... good when he was here, but not elite, inconsistent at times, and certainly not a guy you couldn't live without. In some fairness to him though... didn't he get injured badly after he got to St. Louis?

Maybe I'm oversimplifying it... but it seems to me like there are a select few elite guys (like an Ogden), more than a few shouldn't-be-playing guys (like a Kipp Vickers), and a TON otherwise fall in to the good-but-not-irreplaceable category. I think Ozzie and company seem to take care not to pay the good-but-not-irreplaceable guys like the elite.

But what did you see the year that it was: Gaither-Yanda-Brown-Grubbs-Anderson? I saw the best O-line the Ravens have fielded in over a decade.

#11 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,449 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

But what did you see the year that it was: Gaither-Yanda-Brown-Grubbs-Anderson? I saw the best O-line the Ravens have fielded in over a decade.

I saw one of the better groups they've fielded in the last decade, sure. Gaither was playing LT at a really, really high level. Anderson was a plus-player for the running game, and a liability in the passing game. Overall I still saw an O-line that struggled to manage the edge blitz, and it cost them dearly in all three games against the Steelers that year. They kept their TEs in a LOT that year to block as well, and Lorenzo Neal was as good a FB in pass protection and blitz pickup as we've ever seen here... even at his age. They ran the ball a LOT in '08 (not that I'd complain about that mindset) and I'm sure it helped to mask some weaknesses in pass protection that would have shown up a lot more if they called 100 more passing plays. The difference between run blocking and pass blocking is basically whether you're on the attack, or your trying to fend off an attack. Some guys do one much better than the other. The '08 group was often going on the attack with multiple TEs, extra OL lined up at TE, and the FB ramming forward. You had a LOT more plays back then designed for 8 or 9 guys to sell out run-blocking. The '10 & '11 groups have been asked to drop back and play "defense" more often... where you're asking 5 or 6 guys to sit back and let the other side dictate the pressure. Personally, I don't think that's the best "scheme" for this current crop of talent on OL, but that's another issue... ;)

The '09 group with Gaither and Oher at the tackles, and Birk at C, was even more impressive to me personally. The overwhelming sentiment was that with those two on the edges, the line was in good shape for years to come... assuming Oher would improve. Gaither regressed / got hurt, and Oher (in my eye) hasn't improved very much. So here we are 3 years later without two rock solid bookends to anchor the line. I think that makes everyone else in between look different than they might otherwise seem.

Edited by Ravens2006, 15 April 2012 - 12:27 PM.

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#12 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,513 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

I saw one of the better groups they've fielded in the last decade, sure. Gaither was playing LT at a really, really high level. Anderson was a plus-player for the running game, and a liability in the passing game. Overall I still saw an O-line that struggled to manage the edge blitz, and it cost them dearly in all three games against the Steelers that year. They kept their TEs in a LOT that year to block as well, and Lorenzo Neal was as good a FB in pass protection and blitz pickup as we've ever seen here... even at his age. They ran the ball a LOT in '08 (not that I'd complain about that mindset) and I'm sure it helped to mask some weaknesses in pass protection that would have shown up a lot more if they called 100 more passing plays. The difference between run blocking and pass blocking is basically whether you're on the attack, or your trying to fend off an attack. Some guys do one much better than the other. The '08 group was often going on the attack with multiple TEs, extra OL lined up at TE, and the FB ramming forward. You had a LOT more plays back then designed for 8 or 9 guys to sell out run-blocking. The '10 & '11 groups have been asked to drop back and play "defense" more often... where you're asking 5 or 6 guys to sit back and let the other side dictate the pressure. Personally, I don't think that's the best "scheme" for this current crop of talent on OL, but that's another issue... ;)

The '09 group with Gaither and Oher at the tackles, and Birk at C, was even more impressive to me personally. The overwhelming sentiment was that with those two on the edges, the line was in good shape for years to come... assuming Oher would improve. Gaither regressed / got hurt, and Oher (in my eye) hasn't improved very much. So here we are 3 years later without two rock solid bookends to anchor the line. I think that makes everyone else in between look different than they might otherwise seem.

Good analysis. Thanks for posting it. +1

#13 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,588 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

Ok, one last time numbers. "Big Bro" is the little bro. Who you call Pinkett is Plunkett. Please acknowledge that you are aware of having had these facts pointed out to you many times or just admit that you intend to portray yourself as the cartoon character that you are.
Pessimism is just an ugly word for 'pattern recognition'.

#14 Tru Dat

Tru Dat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:11 AM

You're right. No way he would consider the Colts (massive depletion) or Steelers (old and capped out).

I don't think either team wants him, and I know neither team made him an offer. Stupid post like always, but at least you are consistent.:rolleyes:

#15 AVATAR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

He played well in our scheme before and doesn't hurt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users