missstacy44

Tipping Is No Longer Voluntary

89 posts in this topic

Since when in America did the acting of tipping become mandatory. It is a socially expected practice, but mandatory and per determined? By definition to tip is giving a gratuity; from the Latin gra- tu-i- tus meaning voluntary. Gratuity defined from the modern dictionary is a favor or gift usually in the form of money, given in return for service; something given without claim or obligation. To my surprise, amazement and anger I most recently learned that tipping is no longer voluntary at least not at Mo’s Seafood Restaurant in Parkville. I visited with the intention of purchasing food for takeout. In my wait time for service or to be acknowledged by staff; I began to read the menu which stated a “Notice” that all checks would be subject to a 17% gratuity, and all carry out orders would be subject to a 5% gratuity. I thought it was a typo. I realize having been a waitress that sometimes you may get stiffed on the check, as unfortunate as that may be I don’t believe that a Restaurant should assume that my service is going to be outstanding and automatically claim a gratuity. Although I have seen stated on menus in restaurants that an “auto-grat” would apply to parties of 6 or more which I disagree, I understand it a little better than just a two people at a bar ordering take out whose wallet gets high jacked for 17% for the one beer purchased and an additional 5% on the take-out order had I opted to continue with the purchase. Imagine if every take-out establishment adopted this practice of a standard 5% gratuity. This practice hurts the staff, because without the high jacking of a tip, I’d usually give a standard 20% and that’s for mediocre service- just because. However, and I want to have a choice in tipping and be able to determine how much or not according to the service rendered. This is not a great marketing idea for restaurants. I asked to speak with a manger and the bartender immediately got an attitude when questioned about their auto- grat practice and became extremely rude. That’s the kind of service my involuntary 17% tip got me; a lot of attitude. So Mo’s Restaurant, I will not be returning for a visit and will tell anyone and everyone that will listen that they will be high jacked for a tip in your establishment and the customer no longer has the right or ability to decide an appropriate gratuity. How Un-American.

Stacy Wallace

Parkville

I had the same experience Stacy. I had dinner at Mo's in Glen Burnie one night last week. After my date and I were done eating, she insisted on leaving the tip(I begrudgingly allowed her to do so) so she wanted to know what the total was. When I looked at the bill, lo and behold there was the word G-R-A-T-U-I-T-Y. I was surprised just not as upset as you were. Both my food and service were good, so I was ok with it.

The 17% gratuity isn't so shocking as the 5% "carry out" charge.

A similar phenomenon is leaving those tip jars on the counter at all sorts of establishments for merely routine transactions. Starbucks started that craze, I think, and for a complex, labor-intensive specialty drink maybe it's justified, but NOT for a simple cup of coffee!

You have to be a waiter or waitress to appreciate that after 'serving' someone you should give them a gratuity. Fortunately most people understand this. It's usually the uncultured few and black people* that have to be reminded that nothing is really just for free with a gratuity reminder.

(*Black people are the worst tippers )

Let's add more buffets so you can serve yourself and that date you are trying to impress. Americans see movie stars, celebrities and politicians being served at eateries and think that they are entitled to be treated the same way...for free. If you can afford $50.00 for a meal but can't afford to leave a $7-$10 tip you are fronting and maybe should go to McDonalds or Wendy's.

No tips are required at Mr.G's out on Rt. 40. ;)

I don't think that was the OP's issue Georj, I think it was more that the tipping amount was taken out of her hands. Do you tip when you get bad service from a server? Do you tip better when you get exceptional service from a server? Shouldn't it be your choice either way?

I don't think that was the OP's issue Georj, I think it was more that the tipping amount was taken out of her hands. Do you tip when you get bad service from a server? Do you tip better when you get exceptional service from a server? Shouldn't it be your choice either way?

I think at that establishment the tippers were so bad and people were leaving with out tipping so frequently they had to build into the service/receipt a gratuity charge.

It is not in the interest of the waiter/waitress to give anything other than good quality service as tips are the bread and butter of their earnings. But when you serve a party of 3-5 and they have you running back and forwards and then leave $2-$3 on the table, that you then have to clean up, a gratuity charge is welcomed and necessary if that establish wants to attract waiters.

If you get bad service complain to the management. Enough complaints and that manager will fire the offending waiter. Unfortunately too many people who did not get bad service still leave bad tips because they think the service is 'owed' to them because of the 12.75 meal they bought and the serving should be free. In Europe not leaving a tip rarely ever happens and is looked upon as 'lower class'. It's here in America that many of us feel entitled to be treated like Kim Kardashian and Michael Jordan et al.

Bad service yes deserves a small tip if you really feel it was bad tell the manager and they will remove the tip completely and you can confront the waiter as to why.

Otherwise just imagine yourself as a waiter/waitress and pay what you would expect to receive.

I don't disagree, but I was talking about the OP who posted

I want to have a choice in tipping and be able to determine how much or not according to the service rendered.

Since when in America did the acting of tipping become mandatory. It is a socially expected practice, but mandatory and per determined? By definition to tip is giving a gratuity; from the Latin gra- tu-i- tus meaning voluntary. Gratuity defined from the modern dictionary is a favor or gift usually in the form of money, given in return for service; something given without claim or obligation. To my surprise, amazement and anger I most recently learned that tipping is no longer voluntary at least not at Mo’s Seafood Restaurant in Parkville. I visited with the intention of purchasing food for takeout. In my wait time for service or to be acknowledged by staff; I began to read the menu which stated a “Notice” that all checks would be subject to a 17% gratuity, and all carry out orders would be subject to a 5% gratuity. I thought it was a typo. I realize having been a waitress that sometimes you may get stiffed on the check, as unfortunate as that may be I don’t believe that a Restaurant should assume that my service is going to be outstanding and automatically claim a gratuity. Although I have seen stated on menus in restaurants that an “auto-grat” would apply to parties of 6 or more which I disagree, I understand it a little better than just a two people at a bar ordering take out whose wallet gets high jacked for 17% for the one beer purchased and an additional 5% on the take-out order had I opted to continue with the purchase. Imagine if every take-out establishment adopted this practice of a standard 5% gratuity. This practice hurts the staff, because without the high jacking of a tip, I’d usually give a standard 20% and that’s for mediocre service- just because. However, and I want to have a choice in tipping and be able to determine how much or not according to the service rendered. This is not a great marketing idea for restaurants. I asked to speak with a manger and the bartender immediately got an attitude when questioned about their auto- grat practice and became extremely rude. That’s the kind of service my involuntary 17% tip got me; a lot of attitude. So Mo’s Restaurant, I will not be returning for a visit and will tell anyone and everyone that will listen that they will be high jacked for a tip in your establishment and the customer no longer has the right or ability to decide an appropriate gratuity. How Un-American.

Stacy Wallace

Parkville

This is Stacy's first post. She may never post again but in case she does I ask her...

Stacy do you believe that when a person waits and serves you at a eating establishment that it should be a voluntary gift to you ? If not what do you think should be fair and adequate compensation for taking your order, bringing you food, checking to make sure your beverage is refreshed and over all doting on you ?

Finally, in the future I would expect that you will not have the indignity of having a gratuity set for service and carryout by Mo's or any other eating establishment because one thing that has surely not changed in America is that you can still choose where to eat. I'm sure in the future you'll be more selective.

Welcome to Sun Spot !

:)

If they want to cheat themselves out of money that is their choice. I always figure 25% and round up.

But if they include a tip I do not add more. Ever.

If they want to cheat themselves out of money that is their choice. I always figure 25% and round up.

Same here. I hate to hurt the server, but if the establishment is deciding my tip they've decided what the server's service is worth

You and I are 100% in agreement on this. If they add the tip they've taken the math out of my hands.

I lost that argument to my wife the other night. We had a groupon type thing and I guess waitstaff figure that people do not remember to tip on the original amount and not the discounted total. The waiter added in 17%. I have eaten the quite a few times in the past and they never added tip. I was going to leave it as 17% but I was overruled by my former waitress wife.

I did not put up much of a fight.

I lost that argument to my wife the other night. We had a groupon type thing and I guess waitstaff figure that people do not remember to tip on the original amount and not the discounted total. The waiter added in 17%. I have eaten the quite a few times in the past and they never added tip. I was going to leave it as 17% but I was overruled by my former waitress wife.

I did not put up much of a fight.

That's a fight you couldn't win. One of the reasons I'm single :D

If they add the tip, that's what they get, not one penny more. I usually tip 20%. If the service is exceptionally good, I'll add a little more. If the service is exceptionally bad, I'll speak to the management. Servers with georjec2's beliefs regarding black people usually do a half-a $ $ job of serving, and I tip them accordingly. I'm not going to reward mediocre service just to try to dispel a stereotype.

What is fair for a buffet? Sometimes they just do drinks and sometimes just plates or less. I never want to stiff them but 20+% seems a lot.

If they add the tip, that's what they get, not one penny more. I usually tip 20%. If the service is exceptionally good, I'll add a little more. If the service is exceptionally bad, I'll speak to the management. Servers with georjec2's beliefs regarding black people usually do a half-a $ $ job of serving, and I tip them accordingly. I'm not going to reward mediocre service just to try to dispel a stereotype.

And I don't blame you. Too bad there aren't more of us like you willing to tip according to the service given.

What is fair for a buffet? Sometimes they just do drinks and sometimes just plates or less. I never want to stiff them but 20+% seems a lot.

I still tip the same. The servers still get taxed the same by uncle sam based on sales no matter if it is regular sit-down service or a buffet. I'm not going to penalize the server just because he/she happens to be working the buffet. Of course that's my years of serving experience speaking.

I still tip the same. The servers still get taxed the same by uncle sam based on sales no matter if it is regular sit-down service or a buffet. I'm not going to penalize the server just because he/she happens to be working the buffet. Of course that's my years of serving experience speaking.

I agree 100%. I mean with the exception of taking an order and bringing the food to the table(and sometimes the server doesn't even do that), they basically do the same job

http://www.ehow.com/decision_7240429_much-should-tip-buffet_.html

Bottom Line

Etiquette guru Emily Post recommends tipping buffet servers 10 percent of your pre-tax meal cost. This percentage will usually reflect the level of fanciness of the location and can be adjusted based on exemplary or poor service.

This is pretty much how I figure it. I generally avoid buffets.

When I eat at a buffet I tip $1 for each drink that I ask for.

I always ask for a soda and a water to start - so that's $2.

And I always get at least another soda or water - so that's $3, and sometimes one more of each - for $4.