missstacy44

Tipping Is No Longer Voluntary

89 posts in this topic

If they add the tip, that's what they get, not one penny more. I usually tip 20%. If the service is exceptionally good, I'll add a little more. If the service is exceptionally bad, I'll speak to the management. Servers with georjec2's beliefs regarding black people usually do a half-a $ $ job of serving, and I tip them accordingly. I'm not going to reward mediocre service just to try to dispel a stereotype.

yea, me too........

when they add it they almost always get less from me .........

last night we were out with 6 couples and they added 18% ......

that's what they got .......

You have to be a waiter or waitress to appreciate that after 'serving' someone you should give them a gratuity. Fortunately most people understand this. It's usually the uncultured few and black people* that have to be reminded that nothing is really just for free with a gratuity reminder.

(*Black people are the worst tippers )

I always hear wait staff saying that we Blacks don't tip. My husband and I tip 20% and up, so do our friends and family. Should I just assume they have spit in my food as they assume I wont tip?

I always hear wait staff saying that we Blacks don't tip. My husband and I tip 20% and up, so do our friends and family. Should I just assume they have spit in my food as they assume I wont tip?

I'll never understand the whole "blacks don't tip" thing either. I've never failed to leave a tip even when the service didn't warrant one

I saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd at the Howard Theater in DC last week. Fun show although he is not my cup of tea musically he is very talented.

The Howard has been totally renovated and is beautiful. It is set up with tables and you can eat a meal while the band plays. Food was decent. Overpriced but I expected that.

What killed me was that they added the 15% tax and had a $12.95 "service fee". What is that? Does the wait staff get that or the house?

I don't click your links Betamax. I know I tip 20%+ as does everyone in my circle

Apparently not everyone does though. Hence why you should click the link.

I assure you, if the link wasn't a news story about tipping, and was some "troll" thing or whatever you'll claim as the reason you aren't clicking, lik e a goatse link or something, i would get banned.

So be a big boy and click on the link.

Apparently not everyone does though. Hence why you should click the link.

Not everyone white does either, which is my point of how bogus it is

I'll never understand the whole "blacks don't tip" thing either. I've never failed to leave a tip even when the service didn't warrant one

I've never heard that one before. I worked in a restaurant for several years, and found that color was never an issue. Instead, it was the overly demanding, critical patrons that were cheap with the tips.

This is Stacy's first post. She may never post again but in case she does I ask her...

Stacy do you believe that when a person waits and serves you at a eating establishment that it should be a voluntary gift to you ?

Okay. So what, then, does that have to do with the price of my meal? The server does the same amount of work to bring me a plate of hot dog and fries as he/she does to bring me a plate of filet mignon. Why should he/she earn $2 for the first task but $15 for the second?

I have many friends who work in the industry, and I know they frequently get unfairly stiffed, so I tend to be a ridiculously generous tipper even for just normal service. But this system is totally irrational; servers should be paid a regular wage, all tips should be voluntary and given for above-and-beyond service, and, yes, that means we should all pay a bit more for our meals out.

(Oh, yeah, and I'm also in the camp of "a mandatory tip added to my bill = that's all the tip I'm going to give")

(*Black people are the worst tippers )

Got anything, other than your own opinion, that supports this assertion?

Stacy do you believe that when a person waits and serves you at a eating establishment that it should be a voluntary gift to you ?

C’mon man!

Do you believe working as a waiter/waitress/server/caretaker or whatever they are calling themselves these days is some kind of involuntary servitude? News flash for you, it’s not. If they don’t like the job, they should find another one. Maybe one of those jobs that the supporters of illegal immigration call a job Americans won’t do.

I'll usually leave a small tip at carry-out, as long as they smile and/or are pleasant in some way... and don't royally screw up the order. Always tip at Box Hill when getting carry-out, as busy as that place gets around dinner time... I think the cook staff are working a lot harder than the wait staff.

Good to know about Mo's. Haven't been there in a while, but there's just something about being TOLD what to tip that keeps me away. Won't be going back now.

I know in Iceland tipping was considered an insult at one point. Assume it still is...

Here is the bottom line, you have places that attract a certain clientele that on the whole do not tip very well, if at all. To keep servers they have to add the gratuity.

Here is the bottom line, you have places that attract a certain clientele that on the whole do not tip very well, if at all. To keep servers they have to add the gratuity.

What's the clientele in Glen Burnie where Moe's is located that doesn't tip well? And since Moe's has several locations, did they only pick locations containing clientele that doesn't tip well including the Inner Harbor? :confused:

this is my 1st post so please don't hold it against me....a lot of people also don't realize that the wait staff has to "tip out".....what this means is that the wait staff gives a portions of their tips to the bus boys and the bartenders and the food expiditer, etc......the better the restaurant the more people the waitress has to give a portion of the tips to....

this is my 1st post so please don't hold it against me....a lot of people also don't realize that the wait staff has to "tip out".....what this means is that the wait staff gives a portions of their tips to the bus boys and the bartenders and the food expiditer, etc......the better the restaurant the more people the waitress has to give a portion of the tips to....

I think most people know that. I would be that most of us worked in a restaurant at some point.

Thanks for joining the board. Stick around!

What about charging extra for a "neat" drink?

Townhouse in Harbor East charged me an extra $2 for ordering my Scotch neat. I asked the bartender why and they said it was because they put more in. Now to me, a pour is a pour, and a bartender should know that and all drinks should be the same. Unfortunately it cost him in his tip. Yes, i got more, but i didnt ask for more and Im not going to play the ol' bait n switch game.

They also charged a 10% liquor tax. Isnt it 9% in Maryland? Anyway, Townhouse is a cookie cutter of an establishment with nothing special.