missstacy44

Tipping Is No Longer Voluntary

89 posts in this topic

Ok, I have a tipping question for the group. I was at a Ravens game recently and bought a beer from a vendor in the stands. Now I know those guys and gals hustle for their money and frankly I don't mind tipping. But I passed my ten bucks down and he passed the beer back with no change. I just don't like the "assumed" tip. By the time I realized what he had done he had already moved on and I was not going to chase him down for less than two bucks but it did bother me. I guess you can make decent money that way.

Ok, I have a tipping question for the group. I was at a Ravens game recently and bought a beer from a vendor in the stands. Now I know those guys and gals hustle for their money and frankly I don't mind tipping. But I passed my ten bucks down and he passed the beer back with no change. I just don't like the "assumed" tip. By the time I realized what he had done he had already moved on and I was not going to chase him down for less than two bucks but it did bother me. I guess you can make decent money that way.

What was the question?  

He had no right to assume a tip, especially not the full $2.  Keep in mind these guys make $32 per case of beer, so it's not like they're making minimum wage like the poor waitress in a modest restaurant. 

Let's add more buffets so you can serve yourself and that date you are trying to impress. Americans see movie stars, celebrities and politicians being served at eateries and think that they are entitled to be treated the same way...for free. If you can afford $50.00 for a meal but can't afford to leave a $7-$10 tip you are fronting and maybe should go to McDonalds or Wendy's.

No tips are required at Mr.G's out on Rt. 40. ;)

if you want to charge $50 for a meal because of your namesake, you can afford to pay your wait staff a decent salary.

$9 for a beer … 

Edited by Baltimatt
Language

I vended O's games during college in 96/97, never made it to beerman status there but I did do beer for opening season of Ravens' Stadium. Those beer guys can make up to $30K per season per sport.

I vended O's games during college in 96/97, never made it to beerman status there but I did do beer for opening season of Ravens' Stadium. Those beer guys can make up to $30K per season per sport.

Wow, I had no idea :o

Wow, I had no idea :o

Apologies. Per sport is an exaggeration as football is only 8 (+2) games. But they were pulling in $400-500/Orioles' game in 96-97 (i.e. when we were selling out almost every night).

What was the question?  

He had no right to assume a tip, especially not the full $2.  Keep in mind these guys make $32 per case of beer, so it's not like they're making minimum wage like the poor waitress in a modest restaurant.

The question is simple: am I petty to want my change or at least be asked for the tip? Is it ok to assume and just take the tip? There was half a row of people between us so it would have been awkward to pass the money back and forth but he could/should have just held up the two bucks and asked if it was a tip.

The question is simple: am I petty to want my change or at least be asked for the tip? Is it ok to assume and just take the tip? There was half a row of people between us so it would have been awkward to pass the money back and forth but he could/should have just held up the two bucks and asked if it was a tip.

IMHO, no and no. He should have asked if you wanted your change and allowed you to decide whether to tip, and how much ($1 or $2).

Hey, let's wait another 6 months to respond to each other! :-)

Whenever someone tries to gain sympathy by mentioning the minimum wage that a wait staff member earns, it shows a disingenuous approach to any discussion about this subject. My wife was a waitress when she was is college. I've had friends who waited tables. They earn such a low salary because everyone knows they get tips. 

Let me offer a counter point to your comments by offering a very conservative estimation of how much money a wait person can earn. In my scenario, the bill is $50.00 and the wait person works 5 tables. If you are experienced in this industry, you know that those are conservative variables, since most meals cost more than $50 for a table of 2, and working 5 tables isn't the most tables someone would work in a usual situation. 

$50 X .15% (again, a conservative figure since most people tip .20% or more) = $7.50 X 5 tables = $37.5 + $2.25 = $39.75/hr

That's really nice bank for the demographic that compose the bulk of the wait staff industry across this nation. And they don't pay taxes on most of it. Anyone who has working knowledge, of how earnings are calculated for a member of the wait staff, knows that only a small portion of those tips are claimed as income.    

An old friend of mine worked at Max's Taphouse on Broadway in Fells Point. He was a bartender. No salary other than a couple bucks an hour. He would routinely pull in over $250,000 a year. I'm not even kidding.

I've been out of the business for a while, But used to be that customers were only legally responsible for paying for their food, beverages and tax.