88 replies to this topic

#21 georjec2

georjec2

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,842 posts
  • LocationBaltimore Md

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:15 AM

If they add the tip, that's what they get, not one penny more. I usually tip 20%. If the service is exceptionally good, I'll add a little more. If the service is exceptionally bad, I'll speak to the management. Servers with georjec2's beliefs regarding black people usually do a half-a $ $ job of serving, and I tip them accordingly. I'm not going to reward mediocre service just to try to dispel a stereotype.

And I don't blame you. Too bad there aren't more of us like you willing to tip according to the service given.

#22 Snoopy71

Snoopy71

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

What is fair for a buffet? Sometimes they just do drinks and sometimes just plates or less. I never want to stiff them but 20+% seems a lot.

I still tip the same. The servers still get taxed the same by uncle sam based on sales no matter if it is regular sit-down service or a buffet. I'm not going to penalize the server just because he/she happens to be working the buffet. Of course that's my years of serving experience speaking.

#23 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

I still tip the same. The servers still get taxed the same by uncle sam based on sales no matter if it is regular sit-down service or a buffet. I'm not going to penalize the server just because he/she happens to be working the buffet. Of course that's my years of serving experience speaking.

I agree 100%. I mean with the exception of taking an order and bringing the food to the table(and sometimes the server doesn't even do that), they basically do the same job
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#24 sigmalady

sigmalady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,517 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

What is fair for a buffet? Sometimes they just do drinks and sometimes just plates or less. I never want to stiff them but 20+% seems a lot.

http://www.ehow.com/...ip-buffet_.html

Bottom Line
Etiquette guru Emily Post recommends tipping buffet servers 10 percent of your pre-tax meal cost. This percentage will usually reflect the level of fanciness of the location and can be adjusted based on exemplary or poor service.

This is pretty much how I figure it. I generally avoid buffets.

#25 mythoughts

mythoughts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,936 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

When I eat at a buffet I tip $1 for each drink that I ask for.
I always ask for a soda and a water to start - so that's $2.
And I always get at least another soda or water - so that's $3, and sometimes one more of each - for $4.
2009 is the International Year of Astronomy
Have you looked through a telescope this year ?

Saturday October 24, 2009 is Astronomy Day.
Consider visiting a local astronomy club/astronomical society, planetarium, or observatory to take a look at the sky through a telescope.

http://www.astroleag...y/astroday.html

#26 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,162 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

If they add the tip, that's what they get, not one penny more. I usually tip 20%. If the service is exceptionally good, I'll add a little more. If the service is exceptionally bad, I'll speak to the management. Servers with georjec2's beliefs regarding black people usually do a half-a $ $ job of serving, and I tip them accordingly. I'm not going to reward mediocre service just to try to dispel a stereotype.

yea, me too........

when they add it they almost always get less from me .........

last night we were out with 6 couples and they added 18% ......

that's what they got .......
They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#27 lane17

lane17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

You have to be a waiter or waitress to appreciate that after 'serving' someone you should give them a gratuity. Fortunately most people understand this. It's usually the uncultured few and black people* that have to be reminded that nothing is really just for free with a gratuity reminder.

(*Black people are the worst tippers )

I always hear wait staff saying that we Blacks don't tip. My husband and I tip 20% and up, so do our friends and family. Should I just assume they have spit in my food as they assume I wont tip?

#28 CountessMeout

CountessMeout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,278 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

Parkville Bateman's started rounding up the bill before presenting it to us. We won't be back. Our tips were very good- so it's the staff's loss.
CountessMeout

#29 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

I always hear wait staff saying that we Blacks don't tip. My husband and I tip 20% and up, so do our friends and family. Should I just assume they have spit in my food as they assume I wont tip?

I'll never understand the whole "blacks don't tip" thing either. I've never failed to leave a tip even when the service didn't warrant one

#30 Guest_crabsnbeer_*

Guest_crabsnbeer_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:04 AM

I saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd at the Howard Theater in DC last week. Fun show although he is not my cup of tea musically he is very talented.
The Howard has been totally renovated and is beautiful. It is set up with tables and you can eat a meal while the band plays. Food was decent. Overpriced but I expected that.
What killed me was that they added the 15% tax and had a $12.95 "service fee". What is that? Does the wait staff get that or the house?

#31 betamanlet

betamanlet

• Miserable Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,751 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

I'll never understand the whole "blacks don't tip" thing either. I've never failed to leave a tip even when the service didn't warrant one

http://seattletimes....1233_jdl11.html

#32 betamanlet

betamanlet

• Miserable Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,751 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

http://www.huffingto..._n_1478953.html

#33 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

http://seattletimes....1233_jdl11.html

I don't click your links Betamax. I know I tip 20%+ as does everyone in my circle

#34 betamanlet

betamanlet

• Miserable Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,751 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

I don't click your links Betamax. I know I tip 20%+ as does everyone in my circle

Apparently not everyone does though. Hence why you should click the link.

I assure you, if the link wasn't a news story about tipping, and was some "troll" thing or whatever you'll claim as the reason you aren't clicking, lik e a goatse link or something, i would get banned.

So be a big boy and click on the link.

#35 mythoughts

mythoughts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,936 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

I'm reluctant to go to restaraunts anymore simply because of their "hidden fees".
2009 is the International Year of Astronomy
Have you looked through a telescope this year ?

Saturday October 24, 2009 is Astronomy Day.
Consider visiting a local astronomy club/astronomical society, planetarium, or observatory to take a look at the sky through a telescope.

http://www.astroleag...y/astroday.html

#36 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

Apparently not everyone does though. Hence why you should click the link.

Not everyone white does either, which is my point of how bogus it is

#37 RobbieB

RobbieB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

I've never heard that one before. I worked in a restaurant for several years, and found that color was never an issue. Instead, it was the overly demanding, critical patrons that were cheap with the tips.

#38 foxhound

foxhound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

This is Stacy's first post. She may never post again but in case she does I ask her...

Stacy do you believe that when a person waits and serves you at a eating establishment that it should be a voluntary gift to you ?

Okay. So what, then, does that have to do with the price of my meal? The server does the same amount of work to bring me a plate of hot dog and fries as he/she does to bring me a plate of filet mignon. Why should he/she earn $2 for the first task but $15 for the second?

I have many friends who work in the industry, and I know they frequently get unfairly stiffed, so I tend to be a ridiculously generous tipper even for just normal service. But this system is totally irrational; servers should be paid a regular wage, all tips should be voluntary and given for above-and-beyond service, and, yes, that means we should all pay a bit more for our meals out.

(Oh, yeah, and I'm also in the camp of "a mandatory tip added to my bill = that's all the tip I'm going to give")

#39 atomic

atomic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:20 AM

In Iceland there is no tipping as everyone is paid a decent wage. And guess what service is a lot better.

#40 VOSA

VOSA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,960 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

(*Black people are the worst tippers )

Got anything, other than your own opinion, that supports this assertion?

Stacy do you believe that when a person waits and serves you at a eating establishment that it should be a voluntary gift to you ?

C’mon man!

Do you believe working as a waiter/waitress/server/caretaker or whatever they are calling themselves these days is some kind of involuntary servitude? News flash for you, it’s not. If they don’t like the job, they should find another one. Maybe one of those jobs that the supporters of illegal immigration call a job Americans won’t do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users