#41 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,518 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

Two of us had lunch at Ship's Cafe in Catonsville last week. I was shocked to see a 15% gratuity added in for a table of two. I always tip 25% and was happy to save myself 10%.

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#42 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

I'll usually leave a small tip at carry-out, as long as they smile and/or are pleasant in some way... and don't royally screw up the order. Always tip at Box Hill when getting carry-out, as busy as that place gets around dinner time... I think the cook staff are working a lot harder than the wait staff.

Good to know about Mo's. Haven't been there in a while, but there's just something about being TOLD what to tip that keeps me away. Won't be going back now.

I know in Iceland tipping was considered an insult at one point. Assume it still is...
"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#43 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,162 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

I know in Iceland tipping was considered an insult at one point. Assume it still is...

in Italy most places didn't have a spot on the credit card bill for a tip ........

I left some cash but lots of folks didn't .......

http://www.ricksteve...ps/eurotips.htm
They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#44 Morgan208

Morgan208

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

Here is the bottom line, you have places that attract a certain clientele that on the whole do not tip very well, if at all. To keep servers they have to add the gratuity.

#45 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

Here is the bottom line, you have places that attract a certain clientele that on the whole do not tip very well, if at all. To keep servers they have to add the gratuity.

What's the clientele in Glen Burnie where Moe's is located that doesn't tip well? And since Moe's has several locations, did they only pick locations containing clientele that doesn't tip well including the Inner Harbor? :confused:
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#46 queenie

queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

this is my 1st post so please don't hold it against me....a lot of people also don't realize that the wait staff has to "tip out".....what this means is that the wait staff gives a portions of their tips to the bus boys and the bartenders and the food expiditer, etc......the better the restaurant the more people the waitress has to give a portion of the tips to....

#47 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,518 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

this is my 1st post so please don't hold it against me....a lot of people also don't realize that the wait staff has to "tip out".....what this means is that the wait staff gives a portions of their tips to the bus boys and the bartenders and the food expiditer, etc......the better the restaurant the more people the waitress has to give a portion of the tips to....

I think most people know that. I would be that most of us worked in a restaurant at some point.
Thanks for joining the board. Stick around!

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#48 CountessMeout

CountessMeout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,278 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Batemans in Parkville "rounded up" our bill w/o informing us. We left a tip and haven't been back.
CountessMeout

#49 bawlmer_fan

bawlmer_fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

What about charging extra for a "neat" drink?

Townhouse in Harbor East charged me an extra $2 for ordering my Scotch neat. I asked the bartender why and they said it was because they put more in. Now to me, a pour is a pour, and a bartender should know that and all drinks should be the same. Unfortunately it cost him in his tip. Yes, i got more, but i didnt ask for more and Im not going to play the ol' bait n switch game.

They also charged a 10% liquor tax. Isnt it 9% in Maryland? Anyway, Townhouse is a cookie cutter of an establishment with nothing special.

#50 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,518 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

I never heard that one before.

#51 Bloomin Onion

Bloomin Onion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:02 AM

I've only been to one place where the gratuity was automatically added to a small party.....and that was the Double TT in Catonsville and I think it was only in late nights.

I can understand why. That is when alll the ghetto people go in there and they are known for not tipping. I typically am a very good tipper. I tip after tax (the server has part of his money stolen by O'Mallley and Obama just as I have my money stolen by O'Malley and Obama) and before coupons, based on the original price. I never go under 20% unless the service was very bad. There was only one occassion where I did not tip after sitting down in a restaurant this was in an Indian buffet where the waiter was never there and we had to get up and find him every single time we needed him and he was still not found.

I may tip over 25% if its a cute waitress......this may go down to 20% if I subsequently find she is not single though it will still not go below 20%. I also tip over 20% when the bill is cheap......2 people can eat a full meal at Dennys or Waffle House for $10 and a $2 tip is too cheap I think after all they do the same work as someone at Olive Garden or Cheesecake Factory. In bars when I pay cash I tip a dollar a drink, sometimes more when its a mixed drink that is made very well, on a bar tab I tip 20%. I also tip in cash when possible for two reasons. One is that is if they share tips then you know the good waitress/bartender is getting it. And two with cash they may not declare it and be taxed on it. Many servers prefer cash tips for this reason.

I tip a dollar or two SOEMTIMES for carry out. I tip my hair lady 20%. I do NOT tip taxi drivers. I do NOT give CHristmas presents to the mailman. I definitely do NOT tip those bathroom attendants in those bars and clubs where they have someone pour the soap for you or give you the paper towel I don't see the point of having these people there at all I can wash my hands just fine thank you. When leaving a hotel, I leave a tip of a few dollars for housekeeping, except when the housekeeprs are illegals. I do not tip illegal aliens.

So I tip generously when I in a situation where tipping is expected, but I try to avoid situation where tipping is expected. I always walk inside and pick up my to go order myself vs have them bring it to my car. I never use valet parking or room service. I pick up my own pizza vs get it delivered.

I wonder how much people usually tip a taxi driver as I rarely take cabs. I also wonder how much to tip in a strip club. I've heard in SOME clubs the stripper demands a tip of at least half of what the dance is but that is not all clubs.

#52 Bloomin Onion

Bloomin Onion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:06 AM

I think ghetto people don't tip because they are ghetto, they know the rules but disregard them.

When a foreigner doens't tip its usually because they do not understand our customs. In Florida once I saw a restaurant menu that explained tipping "to our international guests". It actually suggested a 18% tip or more and that the patron should see a manager if they felt the service was not good enough to deserve a 18% tip. I actually know some European and Asian visitors who come to the US knowing about tipping.

I hear there are foreign countries where they don't expect locals to tip, but expect a tip from Americans.

#53 sigmalady

sigmalady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,517 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

I've only been to one place where the gratuity was automatically added to a small party.....and that was the Double TT in Catonsville and I think it was only in late nights.

I can understand why. That is when alll the ghetto people go in there and they are known for not tipping. I typically am a very good tipper. I tip after tax (the server has part of his money stolen by O'Mallley and Obama just as I have my money stolen by O'Malley and Obama) and before coupons, based on the original price. I never go under 20% unless the service was very bad. There was only one occassion where I did not tip after sitting down in a restaurant this was in an Indian buffet where the waiter was never there and we had to get up and find him every single time we needed him and he was still not found.

I may tip over 25% if its a cute waitress......this may go down to 20% if I subsequently find she is not single though it will still not go below 20%. I also tip over 20% when the bill is cheap......2 people can eat a full meal at Dennys or Waffle House for $10 and a $2 tip is too cheap I think after all they do the same work as someone at Olive Garden or Cheesecake Factory. In bars when I pay cash I tip a dollar a drink, sometimes more when its a mixed drink that is made very well, on a bar tab I tip 20%. I also tip in cash when possible for two reasons. One is that is if they share tips then you know the good waitress/bartender is getting it. And two with cash they may not declare it and be taxed on it. Many servers prefer cash tips for this reason.

I tip a dollar or two SOEMTIMES for carry out. I tip my hair lady 20%. I do NOT tip taxi drivers. I do NOT give CHristmas presents to the mailman. I definitely do NOT tip those bathroom attendants in those bars and clubs where they have someone pour the soap for you or give you the paper towel I don't see the point of having these people there at all I can wash my hands just fine thank you. When leaving a hotel, I leave a tip of a few dollars for housekeeping, except when the housekeeprs are illegals. I do not tip illegal aliens.

So I tip generously when I in a situation where tipping is expected, but I try to avoid situation where tipping is expected. I always walk inside and pick up my to go order myself vs have them bring it to my car. I never use valet parking or room service. I pick up my own pizza vs get it delivered.

I wonder how much people usually tip a taxi driver as I rarely take cabs. I also wonder how much to tip in a strip club. I've heard in SOME clubs the stripper demands a tip of at least half of what the dance is but that is not all clubs.

I've never had the tip added at the Double T Diner.

#54 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

I've never had the tip added at the Double T Diner.

Neither have I although it's been a minute since I've eaten at one
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#55 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

I guess it's because I don't usually dine out in large groups, but I witnessed something I hadn't seen before last Friday. A group from our office went to the Joe's Crab Shack in Abingdon for lunch and the (separate) checks arrived with gratuity already added on - that part I expected.

What I had never seen before was the Gratuity Tax that was also added on to each check. I guess in the case of automatic gratuities it's considered income for the restaurant and must be taxed? Seemed strange to me.

#56 ravenbrad

ravenbrad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

Okay. So what, then, does that have to do with the price of my meal? The server does the same amount of work to bring me a plate of hot dog and fries as he/she does to bring me a plate of filet mignon. Why should he/she earn $2 for the first task but $15 for the second?

I have many friends who work in the industry, and I know they frequently get unfairly stiffed, so I tend to be a ridiculously generous tipper even for just normal service. But this system is totally irrational; servers should be paid a regular wage, all tips should be voluntary and given for above-and-beyond service, and, yes, that means we should all pay a bit more for our meals out.

(Oh, yeah, and I'm also in the camp of "a mandatory tip added to my bill = that's all the tip I'm going to give")

Because the government taxes servers on sales, not on tips. Simple.

#57 songfourone

songfourone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,314 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

The mail person, newspaper, refuse people get a card and a little something every year for the holidays.

#58 songfourone

songfourone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,314 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

I am curious to know how you know the immigration status of the housekeeping staff? Did you ask for documentation? And in turn were you asked for your documentation???

#59 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

I am curious to know how you know the immigration status of the housekeeping staff? Did you ask for documentation? And in turn were you asked for your documentation???

Bloomin Onion's first rule of life is

HISPANIC LOOKING IN AMERICA EQUALS ILLEGAL

#60 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,704 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

I ate at the Moe's in Harbor East. one thing I can say for sure, they aren't using that mandatory tip to clean the place. the food is pretty horrible. how do you serve that poor excuse for seafood in a port city?

I once saw the Tony Bourdain episode where he has lunch with the local criminal - turn criminal hero - turn regular old criminal again, Snoop. that poor man had to sit there and suffer through that meal and her ridiculous explanation of why it is such an incredible place to eat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users