88 replies to this topic

#81 bawlmer_fan

bawlmer_fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:18 PM

Wow, I had no idea :o

Apologies. Per sport is an exaggeration as football is only 8 (+2) games. But they were pulling in $400-500/Orioles' game in 96-97 (i.e. when we were selling out almost every night).

#82 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,518 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:24 PM

What was the question?  

He had no right to assume a tip, especially not the full $2.  Keep in mind these guys make $32 per case of beer, so it's not like they're making minimum wage like the poor waitress in a modest restaurant.

The question is simple: am I petty to want my change or at least be asked for the tip? Is it ok to assume and just take the tip? There was half a row of people between us so it would have been awkward to pass the money back and forth but he could/should have just held up the two bucks and asked if it was a tip.

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#83 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:03 PM

The question is simple: am I petty to want my change or at least be asked for the tip? Is it ok to assume and just take the tip? There was half a row of people between us so it would have been awkward to pass the money back and forth but he could/should have just held up the two bucks and asked if it was a tip.

IMHO, no and no. He should have asked if you wanted your change and allowed you to decide whether to tip, and how much ($1 or $2).

Hey, let's wait another 6 months to respond to each other! :-)

#84 aurelius

aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:18 AM

How much should you tip for a cheap haircut that costs 12 bucks.

#85 Circe

Circe

Solidarity Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:26 AM

At least $3.

I tip $5 on a $14 haircut. My barber is from Michoacán and we have interesting conversations.

#86 EnochRoot

EnochRoot

Money won't change me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:28 AM

Whenever someone tries to gain sympathy by mentioning the minimum wage that a wait staff member earns, it shows a disingenuous approach to any discussion about this subject. My wife was a waitress when she was is college. I've had friends who waited tables. They earn such a low salary because everyone knows they get tips. 

Let me offer a counter point to your comments by offering a very conservative estimation of how much money a wait person can earn. In my scenario, the bill is $50.00 and the wait person works 5 tables. If you are experienced in this industry, you know that those are conservative variables, since most meals cost more than $50 for a table of 2, and working 5 tables isn't the most tables someone would work in a usual situation. 

$50 X .15% (again, a conservative figure since most people tip .20% or more) = $7.50 X 5 tables = $37.5 + $2.25 = $39.75/hr

That's really nice bank for the demographic that compose the bulk of the wait staff industry across this nation. And they don't pay taxes on most of it. Anyone who has working knowledge, of how earnings are calculated for a member of the wait staff, knows that only a small portion of those tips are claimed as income.    

An old friend of mine worked at Max's Taphouse on Broadway in Fells Point. He was a bartender. No salary other than a couple bucks an hour. He would routinely pull in over $250,000 a year. I'm not even kidding.

#87 Manny

Manny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,505 posts
  • LocationEastern Shore of Maryland

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:32 AM

No more tipping at Joe's Crab Shack

http://www.fox4news..../47241615-story

#88 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,518 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:37 PM

No more tipping at Joe's Crab Shack

http://www.fox4news..../47241615-story

I think it is a cool experiment. Of course the food there is God awful.

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#89 edb

edb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:54 PM

I've been out of the business for a while, But used to be that customers were only legally responsible for paying for their food, beverages and tax.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users