19 replies to this topic

#1 baltimoreron

baltimoreron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,445 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

according to a WNST text.
Old & Busted - Big Ben. New hotness - Joe Cool.
... R.I.P. Arch

#2 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,763 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Seriously? If the choice is Boller or Painter, I'd take Boller and Boller sucks. If true, I'm praying it's a camp signing and nothing more
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#3 AntiMoon

AntiMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,074 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

He's the #3 guy. Nothing to get worked up over. Plus we have the most frickin durable QB in the league
Only 48 days til hockey season.
Only 31 days til football season.

#4 SugarRay52

SugarRay52

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

He's the #3 guy. Nothing to get worked up over. Plus we have the most frickin durable QB in the league

Exactly, if you think about this rationally you will come to the conclusion that he will be the 3rd string QB. No one made a big fuss when Hunter Cantwell was the 3rd string QB during training camp last year, people are reacting because it's Boller and Painter.

#5 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

Exactly, if you think about this rationally you will come to the conclusion that he will be the 3rd string QB. No one made a big fuss when Hunter Cantwell was the 3rd string QB during training camp last year, people are reacting because it's Boller and Painter.

Every time I hear or see the name Hunter Cantwell, I think of a shot putter. I guess I'm combining CJ Hunter and Christian Cantwell.
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#6 CajunRaven

CajunRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,547 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

Dixon is still the best of the 3. Camp QB or not, why not use the best guy? You never know down the road what will happen.
Is it Football Season yet?

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”

Thomas Jefferson

#7 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,763 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

Dixon is still the best of the 3. Camp QB or not, why not use the best guy? You never know down the road what will happen.

Best of the 4. If Flacco goes down I'd rather see Dixon than any of the other three to include Tyrod. Especially now that anti moon just jinxed us with the "durable qb" comment :D
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#8 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

Lots of depth at QB in the draft. Hope the Ravens use a 5th or 6th round choice on somebody like Kinne, Lindley or Keenum.

The guy from Tech is more Troy Smith than legit QB

#9 SugarRay52

SugarRay52

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Lots of depth at QB in the draft. Hope the Ravens use a 5th or 6th round choice on somebody like Kinne, Lindley or Keenum.

The guy from Tech is more Troy Smith than legit QB

If those guys are ranked high on their board by the 5th or 6th round they will probably draft them.

#10 Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Thank God they made the correct choice in picking ABB. In case anyone wonders what ABB stands for it is "Anybody but Boller" :eek:;)

The thought of that dufus even taking a snap for the practice squad gives me the heebie jeebies. That Peter Brady lookalike plays NFL QB about the same, like a no talent amateur. I hope he finally ends up where he belongs, out of the NFL.

On another note, I see several posters on this thread acting like Dennis Dixon is all that, if he was, why would the Stealers let him walk and sign none other than Troy Smith?Nuff said.

Edited by Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!, 19 April 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#11 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,465 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

At one time, Tom Brady was the most frickin durable QB in the league as well. Then he got nailed and tore an acl and was out for the season. It can happen to anyone. That said, I wouldn't spend too much time or money on a backup if I were the Ravens management. Very, very rarely do backups lead a team to the superbowl. If Flacco goes down, the season is over. Every other contender can say the same. You simply want a backup that can get you through a couple of games until your starter might come back from a minor injury. If the starter goes down for the season, that teams season is over.
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#12 Peej7245

Peej7245

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

If I were making the decision, I might have picked Painter too. He has NFL experience which will help Tyrod immensely in addition to taking quality reps in Training Camp and in Preseason.

He also showed some accuracy and, if nothing else, will give the WRs balls to catch.

It's doubtful that we will see him after August unless they decide to keep a 3rd QB.

#13 Peej7245

Peej7245

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

Who knows but the decision had something to do with our new QB coach. If he does not have to coach up a youngster, perhaps he can spend more time with the starter.

#14 DColeman

DColeman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,786 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:34 AM

You know you wanted you see Kyle's wobbly balls, don't lie..... :D
Baltimore Home of the RAVENS!!
Pittsburgh, Home of the asterisk*. * * * * * *
:D
*tnx Blue ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#15 RAVEN FAN

RAVEN FAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

Dixon is the best of the 3 he even beat up on us.

#16 CharmCityCrab

CharmCityCrab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Based on his performance in Indy last year, I think Curtis Painter could easily lose a quarterback competition to an actual can of paint.

Kyle Boller, on the other hand, would have been a perfect fit for the Ravens as the backup to Joe Flacco. He's got a big arm and has proven he can win games. He's also a pro-style drop-back guy. If Flacco gets hurt in the middle of the game, Boller is similar enough stylistically, and has a strong enough arm, that you can basically just continue with the same game plan you've been mapping out all week.

I know some people in Baltimore probably hear the name "Kyle Boller" and shudder as they flashback to fumbled snaps and so on and so forth. But, look, the idea this time around wasn't to pay him a lot of money and build the team around him, or even let him start. The idea is to have him sit on the bench behind Joe Flacco for a minimal amount of money, and come in and play only if absolutely necessary due to an injury type situation.

When it comes to backup quarterbacks, the available pool is thin, and no one in it has the talent or even the (minimal) accomplishments Kyle Boller has. Signing Curtis Painter instead strikes me as a public relations move- in the sense that the Ravens probably thought it would have been bad public relations to bring Boller back in any capacity. Bringing Boller backup would have been the right move for the team, though, and in my view they should have done it.

#17 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,600 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

At one time, Tom Brady was the most frickin durable QB in the league as well. Then he got nailed and tore an acl and was out for the season. It can happen to anyone. That said, I wouldn't spend too much time or money on a backup if I were the Ravens management. Very, very rarely do backups lead a team to the superbowl. If Flacco goes down, the season is over. Every other contender can say the same. You simply want a backup that can get you through a couple of games until your starter might come back from a minor injury. If the starter goes down for the season, that teams season is over.

and peyton was pretty durable for a heck of a lot of years as well........

but hey, we got painter now, same insurance as the colts had ........
They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#18 SugarRay52

SugarRay52

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

Based on his performance in Indy last year, I think Curtis Painter could easily lose a quarterback competition to an actual can of paint.

Kyle Boller, on the other hand, would have been a perfect fit for the Ravens as the backup to Joe Flacco. He's got a big arm and has proven he can win games. He's also a pro-style drop-back guy. If Flacco gets hurt in the middle of the game, Boller is similar enough stylistically, and has a strong enough arm, that you can basically just continue with the same game plan you've been mapping out all week.

I know some people in Baltimore probably hear the name "Kyle Boller" and shudder as they flashback to fumbled snaps and so on and so forth. But, look, the idea this time around wasn't to pay him a lot of money and build the team around him, or even let him start. The idea is to have him sit on the bench behind Joe Flacco for a minimal amount of money, and come in and play only if absolutely necessary due to an injury type situation.

When it comes to backup quarterbacks, the available pool is thin, and no one in it has the talent or even the (minimal) accomplishments Kyle Boller has. Signing Curtis Painter instead strikes me as a public relations move- in the sense that the Ravens probably thought it would have been bad public relations to bring Boller back in any capacity. Bringing Boller backup would have been the right move for the team, though, and in my view they should have done it.

Did you watch his "wonderful" performance against the Chiefs last year in which he threw not one, not two, but three first half interceptions. Painter is the third string QB and Boller would have filled the same role, they still believe in Tyrod as the 2nd string QB.

#19 floridaraven

floridaraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

Dixon got lucky as the Ravens/Steelers don't play til late in the season. If they played the games early, Dixon may not have made the team. He will be used in that game for his knowledge of the Steelers offense

#20 AVATAR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

Camp arms don't worry me. Dixon would be a defector I'd entertain late as he would get our playbook way too early. The desperation will be paramount and obvious for the defunct steelmiller's this season. Knowing our playbook wouldn't be advisable if we had to cut Dixon. Good move to recognize it before making life easier for a foe. At least Dixon knows we may have legit interest when we cut down the roster.

If we could have added him (after the draft) to our practice squad makes more sense. And only added him on the actives in a crunch could help alittle as far as anti espionage/sabotage/subversion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users