Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

http://www.baltimore...0,7018346.story

#2 AntiMoon

AntiMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,074 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

Just another fakey fan that can't appreciate Angelos' genius.

TM
Only 48 days til hockey season.
Only 31 days til football season.

#3 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

The owner's roll in a team's fortunes are minimal.

TM

#4 jabba2

jabba2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

It’s clear to me that the entire organization is inept,” Deford said. “It used to be the best organization in baseball. You can’t avoid the conclusion that one man came in and fouled it up. As long as he’s going to be there, he’s going to fail. It’s just unfortunate that the wrong guy owns the team.”

On the other hand, Deford said Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti “seems to know how to run a franchise,” and that the team was unlucky not to win to the Super Bowl this year.

Its nice to read things like this printed in the Sun after fans have been saying it at least since Mussina left 11 years ago. If not a few years before. Keep the quotes coming.

#5 larsanderson

larsanderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

Frank Deford is one of the most respected and intelligent journalists working in Sports in America. He's experienced and knowledgable and a fan.

I'm sure ownership doesn't care what Deford thinks, and they probably beleive that Deford is wrong and Peter Angelos is right.

That's the shame in this organization, they have no shame of failure.

#6 Softbank Orioles

Softbank Orioles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

It’s clear to me that the entire organization is inept,” Deford said. “It used to be the best organization in baseball. You can’t avoid the conclusion that one man came in and fouled it up. As long as he’s going to be there, he’s going to fail. It’s just unfortunate that the wrong guy owns the team.”

On the other hand, Deford said Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti “seems to know how to run a franchise,” and that the team was unlucky not to win to the Super Bowl this year.

Its nice to read things like this printed in the Sun after fans have been saying it at least since Mussina left 11 years ago. If not a few years before. Keep the quotes coming.

I think they figured out that the only thing they have left to offer people outside of Baltimore City is sports coverage so they have to try to actually write about things.

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,947 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

does everyone feel better now? an article told us that the Orioles are a poorly run team. is it going to inspire ownership to rise to the challenge? is it going to make the team play harder and defy the odds? is it at least going to make the sunspot pom-pom club admit the team is a mess?

I can't understand why critical reporting on this team is so important. what do we know now that we didn't know yesterday?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#8 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,648 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

does everyone feel better now? an article told us that the Orioles are a poorly run team. is it going to inspire ownership to rise to the challenge? is it going to make the team play harder and defy the odds? is it at least going to make the sunspot pom-pom club admit the team is a mess?

I can't understand why critical reporting on this team is so important. what do we know now that we didn't know yesterday?

It beats doing and saying nothing.
The kids are alright.

#9 Softbank Orioles

Softbank Orioles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

The media can affect the standards by which a team is judged. Consider how harsh the media is about every single little miscue the Yankees and Sox make.

#10 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,659 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

People appreciate a little bit of honesty. After over a decade of The Sun and the Orioles' censored broadcast partners CONSTANTLY blaming bad luck and the damn Yankees for the Orioles total ineptitude and utter failure, it's simply nice to see and hear credible media telling the truth.

And he hits the nail right on the head with the line that the "entire organization is inept." The best thing that could happen for the fortunes of the franchise would be for somehow new ownership to come in... and literally fire every single person in the organization. Every... single... one... And I might not even spare secretaries or janitorial staff either. :) Call it Oliver Stone-ish, but I'm pretty sure that if the Yankees went 10 straight years being eliminated from WC contention by July 1st, MLB would find a way to force ownership there out.
"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#11 TravisMoon

TravisMoon

Oriole-riffic Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,956 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

The owner's roll in a team's fortunes are minimal.

TM

That's a misquote. Try again. ;)

TM
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "The Preying Matusz" devours another batter!

#12 TravisMoon

TravisMoon

Oriole-riffic Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,956 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

Such a timely article too with the Orioles in 1st place and all.

TM

#13 CharmCityCrab

CharmCityCrab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Such a timely article too with the Orioles in 1st place and all.

You're an idiot.

We'll be 20 games back at the All-Star break.

What have you been doing the last 15 years? How do you not understand what's happened to this team?

You've almost got to be the weirdest form of troll- overly positive guy.

#14 TravisMoon

TravisMoon

Oriole-riffic Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,956 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

You're an idiot.

We'll be 20 games back at the All-Star break.

You should get some money on that prediction. I bet you own Vegas. :P

TM

#15 can you hear me now!

can you hear me now!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

awww, looks like moonie's girlie parts are hurting again....Deford is a respected writer....whining about the timing is sad, but when you've dedicated your life to being a message board martyr, it's expected...

here are some indisputable truths:

what he says is true and it comes from being a Baltimore native and real Oriole fan...moonie never lived in Baltimore and latched on to the O's for reason that no really cares about

deford has more talent in his little pinkie than the oft-fired, no talent dj could ever hope to have...

deford writes for some of the best periodicals around...moonie posts crap on this board....

deford is nationally respected...moon toils in obscurity, but he is good at mailing resume's....

being in first place today means nothing and does not erase the last 14 years, they've been in first at various times over the last 4 years and have finished dead last each year.....

calling him an idiot demeans idiots....
:eek: CYHMN Enterprises-- Manufacturing gloom and doom since 1998. :eek:

chaos, panic, disorder-- my work is done here...;)

#16 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,186 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

In fairness, the farm system dried up in the late 70's.

The last good crop to come through here (Rochester) was the '76 club.

That said, the day the Angeloses (?) no longer own any part of the team might see me break my long sobriety streak! :D

#17 Oriole Dave

Oriole Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

It's smoke and mirrors, I'm enjoying the winning but it won't last, Jones has 11 strike outs and 1 walk, bats cool off. The defense is horrible. I see a team better than last years but still headed for the AL East cellar.

#18 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,947 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

The media can affect the standards by which a team is judged. Consider how harsh the media is about every single little miscue the Yankees and Sox make.

I agree with you regarding most teams in every sport. but Angelos isn't influenced by these things. this article, while accurate, will change nothing. don't misunderstand, I'm not suggesting that it shouldn't have been printed. I'm commenting on this board. there are several posts (it seems weekly) that gripe about the lack of critical reporting on the team. I just don't see the point of it all when the owner isn't influenced by it.

is there any doubt that he knows his team is in the state of ineptitude that Deford described? heck no. he's fully aware. that's not the problem. the problem is he doesn't care.

what did he say in Press Box? "losing's not my game"
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#19 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,947 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

It beats doing and saying nothing.

I suppose that's in the eye of the beholder

#20 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

The sad thing is this is how the Sun attacks Angelos. Schmuck, Preston etc. are giant puzzy's who treat Angelos the way Monica treated Bill, except the Sun Sports staff digest!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users