• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 StevenJB

StevenJB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:55 AM

Some of the members of this Board ridicule Nationals' attendance and try to make the broader case that Washington fans do not support their first place Nationals.

Well, it just goes to show you that Orioles fans who live in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones at Nationals fans.

Tonight, your first place Baltimore Orioles reported an official attendance of 11,058. That's the paid attendance, Orioles fans. Only God and Peter Angelos know for sure how many or in this case how few fans actually showed up.

The next time you Orioles fans want to criticize Nationals fans for not supporting their first place team, please remember that charity begins at home.

#2 joe cool

joe cool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

Some of the members of this Board ridicule Nationals' attendance and try to make the broader case that Washington fans do not support their first place Nationals.

Well, it just goes to show you that Orioles fans who live in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones at Nationals fans.

Tonight, your first place Baltimore Orioles reported an official attendance of 11,058. That's the paid attendance, Orioles fans. Only God and Peter Angelos know for sure how many or in this case how few fans actually showed up.

The next time you Orioles fans want to criticize Nationals fans for not supporting their first place team, please remember that charity begins at home.

The difference is that the Nationals have been building and getting better over that last couple of years and it looks like they will be for real this season, while most people, including O’s fans themselves, know that what they are seeing with the O’s this early in the season is a mirage and won’t last long.

This has happened to the O’s fans so many times in the past I don’t blame them for staying away. All you have to do to see the truth is look at Moon Face’s “Record Comparison” threat. For the Nats this is all new and I believe more real than anything the O’s have done in the last decade and a half!! :cool:
GO YANKS:cool:

It is great to be back home!!!

Go Yankees, Go Giants, Go NY Where Champions Are Born!!!;)

#3 DaJellyBelly

DaJellyBelly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:38 AM

I'm not too concerned about the present lack of attendance at Camden Yards. However, if the Orioles continue to play like they have been so far this season and attendance does not improve. Then that would give me cause for alarm.

#4 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,405 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

Any team that has been losing for over a decade will have attendance problems. And it's a little early to be saying that fans don't support the 1st place O's.

If we're in 1st or at least winning/contending in August, then we can talk about support.

#5 18-87-44-29

18-87-44-29

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

Any team that has been losing for over a decade will have attendance problems. And it's a little early to be saying that fans don't support the 1st place O's.

If we're in 1st or at least winning/contending in August, then we can talk about support.

There's a sno-ball's chance in Hades of that happening but for the sake of argument....what happens when they are still playing to low quintiple digits every night even then?

#6 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,405 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:34 AM

There's a sno-ball's chance in Hades of that happening but for the sake of argument....what happens when they are still playing to low quintiple digits every night even then?

They become the Indiannapolis Colts I guess. Although it took only one year for those "fans" to lose interest.

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:55 AM

good try, but the same argument you're talking about doesn't work for the Baltimore fans. and there are multiple reasons why.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#8 TravisMoon

TravisMoon

Oriole-riffic Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,956 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

Bandwagonners/fontrunners are still in denial.
Clinging to their last strand of doom n gloom is all that is on their mind right now.

Should the Orioles continue their assault on the East, they will quietly slither back to the yard.

TM
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "The Preying Matusz" devours another batter!

#9 dandrews

dandrews

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,055 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

If the Orioles had Strasburg, Gonzalez, and Zimmerman pitching, I'd be at the yard 3 times more than I go now.

Same does not hold true for Nats fans apparently

#10 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

O's attendance is a result of poor play for 14 years.

Nats attendance is a result of poor fan support lasting the history of the Washington area (for baseball).

Washington has never led the league in attendance. When the O's were winning, they were the toughest ticket in baseball. Even after they started losing, they were still in the top half of league attendance for several years.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#11 18-87-44-29

18-87-44-29

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

Nats attendance is a result of poor fan support lasting the history of the Washington area (for baseball).

Washington has never led the league in attendance. When the O's were winning, they were the toughest ticket in baseball. Even after they started losing, they were still in the top half of league attendance for several years.

Winning or not.....I have a hard time believing that.

#12 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,290 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

Attendance at Camden Yards "sucks" because Peter Angelos has not fielded a winning product since 1997.

#13 shocksyde

shocksyde

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

Winning or not.....I have a hard time believing that.

Maybe you should look something up before you shove your foot in your mouth...

In 1997, when the Orioles last appeared in the playoffs, they led the league in home attendance.

Proof

Edited by shocksyde, 25 April 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#14 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,592 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

In 2005, the Orioles and the Nationals combined to sell over 5.35 million tickets.

In 2011, the Orioles and the Nationals combined to sell just over 3.69 million tickets (about the same number the '97 Orioles sold ALONE).

Ticket sales in both markets suffer from a serious lack of "hope"...
"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#15 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,405 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

Maybe you should look something up before you shove your foot in your mouth...

In 1997, when the Orioles last appeared in the playoffs, they led the league in home attendance.

Proof

Numbers knows even less about baseball than football.

#16 talby1027

talby1027

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

You do realize that over 2/3 of that attendance was from Washington area fans. Now having said that, I believe that there are still quite a few Orioles fans in the DC area, and they won't cheer for the Nats, and they won't go to Orioles games because the Orioles stink. I think that explains a great deal of the lack of attendance for both teams.

#17 TravisMoon

TravisMoon

Oriole-riffic Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,956 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

Attendance at Camden Yards "sucks" because Peter Angelos has not fielded a winning product since 1997.

Really. Look who's in 1st place with a winning product at 10-7. :rolleyes:

TM
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "The Preying Matusz" devours another batter!

#18 DaJellyBelly

DaJellyBelly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

TM

Travis, there are 3 other teams in first place as well.

#19 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,997 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

TM

Let's revisit this post in mid May, early June
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#20 StevenJB

StevenJB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

good try, but the same argument you're talking about doesn't work for the Baltimore fans. and there are multiple reasons why.

Of course, Orioles fans should never be held to the same standards that Nationals fans are. How could I be so ignorant of that fact? Orioles fans are special. Your shyte doesn't stink!

Let's face it, Orioles fans, you are aluminum plated hypocrites of the first order. I can always count on you people to make lame excuse after lame excuse as why you don't attend Orioles games but the truth always emerges. I guess that the truth is, just like Washington, Baltimore is not a baseball town!

Baltimore is certainly not a hockey town. You guys have lost nine hockey franchises since the end of WWII! Baltimore gets its hockey from a real hockey town, Washington!

The only basketball team that you ever had left for greener pastures and for, of all places, Washington!! <horrors> Looks like Baltimore is not a basketball town, either, O's fans!

That leaves just football. I'm not sure whether Baltimore is a football town, either. You managed to lose your last football team because of non-support. Will the Ravens follow suit? Only the Shadow knows! <cue creepy laugh>

You are going to have plenty of opportunities to come up with more original and provocative excuses as to why you don't attend Orioles games this season. This oughta be really good! Just keep reminding me of the fact that Orioles fans are different from Nationals fans and that you are not required to be held to the same standards. Sure, sure, sure, and I've got a bridge that crosses the Chesapeake Bay that I'd like to sell to you guys! LOL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users