• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gottselig2004

gottselig2004

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,889 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

This thread of years past has been replaced by indifference or very cautious optimism and a 12-7 start will generally do that. So if your WalMart greeter seems different these days (a little less/more grumpier) or maybe your flight from the early 1900s is a little more enjoyable today things have seemed to turn the corner for these Birds and you should feel a little giddy. The ridiculous trade posts have ceased for now and that is a sign that improvement has finally taken root.

Its what a certain poster has been telling us all along over some 300,000 posts is that we are dominant! :)

Of course if you must moan or complain that Matusz is a bust or Reynolds is the reason we are not 18-1 than so be it but I see a competitive team this year

#2 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

This thread of years past has been replaced by indifference or very cautious optimism and a 12-7 start will generally do that. So if your WalMart greeter seems different these days (a little less/more grumpier) or maybe your flight from the early 1900s is a little more enjoyable today things have seemed to turn the corner for these Birds and you should feel a little giddy. The ridiculous trade posts have ceased for now and that is a sign that improvement has finally taken root.

Its what a certain poster has been telling us all along over some 300,000 posts is that we are dominant! :)

Of course if you must moan or complain that Matusz is a bust or Reynolds is the reason we are not 18-1 than so be it but I see a competitive team this year

I agree with you - the O's are on pace for 102 wins this year which is higher than the 95 I predicted. Peter A deserves credit for not wasting money pursuing severely overpriced free agents like Fielder and Pujols. He did mess up by not signing a low price free agent like Vlad (the O's would be 14-5 with him) but I commend Peter A for his frugality over all.

#3 hampden623

hampden623

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

...and even if we don't, I like what I see so far, and we'll see where it goes...

so...agreed.

#4 gottselig2004

gottselig2004

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,889 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

I would be happy with close to 80 wins, baby steps.....Chavez replacing Pie/Scott on the roster was along time coming IMO as we now have someone who can play LF on days when Reimold slumps and not embarrass himself. Still have visions of them patrolling LF like they were playing dodge ball last year .... the BP (minus Gregg) are looking good so far but Im a little worried about the potential of IP piling up.

baby steps

#5 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,960 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

"This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism." - MLK
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#6 hampden623

hampden623

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

"Just can't live that negative way...make way for the positive day."

Bob Marley

#7 TravisMoon

TravisMoon

Oriole-riffic Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,956 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

It is a nightmare scenario for some who went "all-in" on the doom n gloom. :)

TM
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "The Preying Matusz" devours another batter!

#8 gottselig2004

gottselig2004

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,889 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

"Im a stranger here on this place called earth and ive been sent down here to discover the worth of your little blue planet third from the sun come and show me what youve done"

Les Emmerson & The 5 Man Electrical band

#9 socalbirdfan

socalbirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

I agree with you - the O's are on pace for 102 wins this year which is higher than the 95 I predicted. Peter A deserves credit for not wasting money pursuing severely overpriced free agents like Fielder and Pujols. He did mess up by not signing a low price free agent like Vlad (the O's would be 14-5 with him) but I commend Peter A for his frugality over all.

You're kidding about the Vlad signing right?

#10 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:42 AM

No I'm not. Folks should stop comparing Vlad to perfection (the Vlad of old) and instead compare him to the players like Nick Johnson who are on the roster instead of Hall of Famer Vlad.

#11 hampden623

hampden623

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:01 AM

He's not sure.

One minute he's giving it to the krauts on the fields of France (WWI mind you)...the next he's yelling at his waitress at Denny's because his oatmeal is really scrambled eggs.

bear with him...

#12 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

He's not sure.

One minute he's giving it to the krauts on the fields of France (WWI mind you)...the next he's yelling at his waitress at Denny's because his oatmeal is really scrambled eggs.

bear with him...

Actually I missed out on World War I but I used to kibitz with Plato and Aristotle. What is it about Greek folks that they just fantasize rather than do real work? I used to hassle P and A about this all the time.

What's this Denny's place that you mentioned? Sounds like a restaurant. I tend to dine at McDonalds because they don't discriminate against Latinos.

Give my regards to your namesake, "Nick" Johnson.

#13 gottselig2004

gottselig2004

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,889 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

Only 14-8???????? These are certainly trying times to be a fan......Im gonna the Os another 130 games to impress me

#14 jabba2

jabba2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

Its gonna take more than a 14-8 start to think things are turned around. Does everyone forget the 42-28 start of 2005?? This current team is striking out at a near major league record pace. They also draw the lowest amount of walks in the majors or are near the bottom. Thats not good. Pitching has done surprisingly well though.

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,960 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

Its gonna take more than a 14-8 start to think things are turned around. Does everyone forget the 42-28 start of 2005?? This current team is striking out at a near major league record pace. They also draw the lowest amount of walks in the majors or are near the bottom. Thats not good. Pitching has done surprisingly well though.

the 2005 team could have stayed competitive longer, but Flanny let them twist in the wind because he didn't believe they were for real. that's not the team's fault, that's the FO/owner not doing their part. losing Bedard to the injury and not doing anything about it is a big reason so many fans believe the owner has no interest in winning.

as for this team, the stats you mentioned are not good, but they are better at clutch hitting. so far, that's been enough to compensate. over the long haul, the Ks will be an issue if they don't get better at making contact. but I'm confident there have been competitive teams that weren't good at working the count and coaxing walks.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#16 jabba2

jabba2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

the 2005 team could have stayed competitive longer, but Flanny let them twist in the wind because he didn't believe they were for real. that's not the team's fault, that's the FO/owner not doing their part. losing Bedard to the injury and not doing anything about it is a big reason so many fans believe the owner has no interest in winning.

as for this team, the stats you mentioned are not good, but they are better at clutch hitting. so far, that's been enough to compensate. over the long haul, the Ks will be an issue if they don't get better at making contact. but I'm confident there have been competitive teams that weren't good at working the count and coaxing walks.

Really? I didnt know that about Flanny. I wonder why he didnt think they were for real? Its not like there was a plethora of prospects worth waiting for. Maybe he should have gotten some help. Also the 2010 Rays have the AL record for Strike Outs but they drew the 3rd highest amount of walks in the AL that year and stole 170 bases. They finished with 803 runs. They averaged about 5 runs per game.

#17 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,960 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

Really? I didnt know that about Flanny. I wonder why he didnt think they were for real? Its not like there was a plethora of prospects worth waiting for. Maybe he should have gotten some help. Also the 2010 Rays have the AL record for Strike Outs but they drew the 3rd highest amount of walks in the AL that year and stole 170 bases. They finished with 803 runs. They averaged about 5 runs per game.

I guess he figured making a trade would deplete the team in some way. judging from what we eventaully learned about his relationship with PA, he may have wanted to make some moves, but was told no or they took to long to make decisions. PA moves too slowly for baseball. it took him 15 years to decide he wants to mend fences with Davey Johnson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users