• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TigerBlood

TigerBlood

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

I know that player draft rankings are mostly useless but I really can't understand how the Ravens selected Gradkowski with their first pick in the 4th rd when there were so many better players available. Even Jones, who was jumped on with the next pick, was a much safer choice. Sorry, but this wasn't "Best Player Available". This was a reach.

#2 AntiMoon

AntiMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,074 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

Many say the smart teams had Gradkowski as a 3rd pick. I also preferred Jones so we'll see.
Only 48 days til hockey season.
Only 31 days til football season.

#3 TigerBlood

TigerBlood

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

Many say the smart teams had Gradkowski as a 3rd pick. I also preferred Jones so we'll see.

Hopefully I will be proven wrong but Ozzie seemed to reach after our second pick. I'd take a proven OL from the SEC over a guy from Delaware who would likely be there a round or two later. Not sure who else had him in the third round but most rankings I saw didn't have him in the top 20 for his position. Sometimes I think Ozzie just wants to prove how smart he is when he doesn't really need to.

#4 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

In 2014 you'll find out if Ozzie was right.
I trust Jerry Reese in running the Giants draft.

#5 elj1201

elj1201

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:31 AM

big gino!

#6 Peej7245

Peej7245

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

Why do so many other teams try to hire people from the Ravens FO? Is it because the Ravens have a bunch of schmucks hanging around? I don't think so!

The Ravens hire bright young people who start out as gophers and move up the chain of command, but they learn how the job is done at the Castle! By the time they have put 5-10 years on the job, they know how to find and evaluate players.

Read any story about how the Ravens operate after a season, before the draft, etc. and you can imagine being in a room where everyone gets to voice opinions.

How do you think they found Webb, Pitta, Dixson, etc.?

#7 TigerBlood

TigerBlood

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Why do so many other teams try to hire people from the Ravens FO? Is it because the Ravens have a bunch of schmucks hanging around? I don't think so!

The Ravens hire bright young people who start out as gophers and move up the chain of command, but they learn how the job is done at the Castle! By the time they have put 5-10 years on the job, they know how to find and evaluate players.

Read any story about how the Ravens operate after a season, before the draft, etc. and you can imagine being in a room where everyone gets to voice opinions.

How do you think they found Webb, Pitta, Dixson, etc.?

Pitta and Dixon went to major college programs. Webb was a major college talent that transferred because of off the field issues. All of those guys were rated more highly then Gradkowski.

Gradkowski may end up being good. I hope so. It just looks like the Ravens drafted for need this year and reached a few times.

#8 Peej7245

Peej7245

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

Pitta and Dixon went to major college programs. Webb was a major college talent that transferred because of off the field issues. All of those guys were rated more highly then Gradkowski.

Gradkowski may end up being good. I hope so. It just looks like the Ravens drafted for need this year and reached a few times.

Pitta played only a couple of years and then had to go on his mission....

Dixson had a reputation of taking plays off.

Webb was a safety at Nichols State, not a CB....

The point is that they all play for the Ravens for a reason!

Besides, the Ravens FO has a well-deserved reputation for finding the gems in the lower rounds.

Drafting so late, I guess they would have to develop that talent!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users