• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 LoneRanger

LoneRanger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:03 AM

Maybe the fact that the Steelers apparently had a great draft makes the Ravens' lukewarm draft look absolutely terrible. Maybe it is the fact that this team has so many starting needs that don't have clear cut answers. Or perhaps it is the looks on Ozzie and Eric's faces when they sheepishly admitted that this draft, like 2010, was one of those where you hope guys fall to you and four picks before you select... boom! The guys you want are gone-- round after round after round.

I have looked at the players drafted and two things stick out to me:

One is the Ravens drafted for need more than best player available. Ordinarily I don't think this is a bad idea all together; actually I believe a great draft philosophy has to strike a balance between the two. You don't just draft the best player available if you are stacked at that position with young players with fresh contracts. It simply means that "best player available" may never see the field. Conversely, you don't reach for a player at a position of need just to fill a hole with an unworthy player-- who will be a rookie no less. The Ravens picked some weird players when they could have had better ones. Outside of the two second round picks, we can safely say that all the other players selected may be projects and practice squad material on three quarters of the teams in the NFL.

The second thing I see with this draft is that John Harbaugh will have to do some serious coaching if he is going to make the playoffs a fifth consecutive season. Their need at receiver has not been answered either in free agency or the draft. Maybe Tandon Doss is the guy... maybe? Their need at guard has not been met... Is Osemele a tackle or a guard? Is Gradkowski the best we could have done at Center/Guard? Is he really better than Ben Jones? Is McKinnie still a starting LT in this league? Hey, another question; Can Ozzie tell us, with a straight face, that Bernard Pierce was the best player on their board in the third round?!!! Is that RB from Temple better than all the other dudes drafted after him or was this simply a panic move to fill a spot left by Ricky Williams with the threat of Ray Rice holding out hanging over the team? Personally I would give up 4 of those draft picks to get 4 better players than the top 4 we chose. This sure looks like a lousy bunch. And let me be the first to say it; I don't think Ozzie and co are as high as they want you to believe they are on Courtney Upshaw. When you think a guy is a steal at his position you don't trade down-- you either stand pat or trade up!

I had a bad feeling about this team after Lee Evans dropped that ball. That feeling got worse when Cundiff hooked that kick. The release of the NFL schedule made my stomach churn something awful. The draft finally made me throw up all over my feet. This is going to be one hell of a season; I hope we all have a stomach for this s#*t.

#2 classea5

classea5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:12 AM

Mike Fast says: "The Ravens filled every need they had, picking up quality, versatile players without reaching.

Out of their eight draft picks, five of those players could start and contribute within two years".

To me this is the mark of a great draft, smoldering burn that stays lit forever over the flash that may or may not catch fire.

#3 Tru Dat

Tru Dat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

Maybe the fact that the Steelers apparently had a great draft makes the Ravens' lukewarm draft look absolutely terrible. Maybe it is the fact that this team has so many starting needs that don't have clear cut answers. Or perhaps it is the looks on Ozzie and Eric's faces when they sheepishly admitted that this draft, like 2010, was one of those where you hope guys fall to you and four picks before you select... boom! The guys you want are gone-- round after round after round.

One is the Ravens drafted for need more than best player available. Ordinarily I don't think this is a bad idea all together; actually I believe a great draft philosophy has to strike a balance between the two. You don't just draft the best player available if you are stacked at that position with young players with fresh contracts. It simply means that "best player available" may never see the field. Conversely, you don't reach for a player at a position of need just to fill a hole with an unworthy player-- who will be a rookie no less. The Ravens picked some weird players when they could have had better ones. Outside of the two second round picks, we can safely say that all the other players selected may be projects and practice squad material on three quarters of the teams in the NFL.

The second thing I see with this draft is that John Harbaugh will have to do some serious coaching if he is going to make the playoffs a fifth consecutive season. Their need at receiver has not been answered either in free agency or the draft. Maybe Tandon Doss is the guy... maybe? Their need at guard has not been met... Is Osemele a tackle or a guard? Is Gradkowski the best we could have done at Center/Guard? Is he really better than Ben Jones? Is McKinnie still a starting LT in this league? Hey, another question; Can Ozzie tell us, with a straight face, that Bernard Pierce was the best player on their board in the third round?!!! Is that RB from Temple better than all the other dudes drafted after him or was this simply a panic move to fill a spot left by Ricky Williams with the threat of Ray Rice holding out hanging over the team? Personally I would give up 4 of those draft picks to get 4 better players than the top 4 we chose. This sure looks like a lousy bunch. And let me be the first to say it; I don't think Ozzie and co are as high as they want you to believe they are on Courtney Upshaw. When you think a guy is a steal at his position you don't trade down-- you either stand pat or trade up!

I had a bad feeling about this team after Lee Evans dropped that ball. That feeling got worse when Cundiff hooked that kick. The release of the NFL schedule made my stomach churn something awful. The draft finally made me throw up all over my feet. This is going to be one hell of a season; I hope we all have a stomach for this s#*t.

SPOT ON! Now get ready to be attacked by the purple pee pee eaters.

#4 Tru Dat

Tru Dat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

Mike Fast says: "The Ravens filled every need they had, picking up quality, versatile players without reaching.

Out of their eight draft picks, five of those players could start and contribute within two years".

To me this is the mark of a great draft, smoldering burn that stays lit forever over the flash that may or may not catch fire.

LOL...hold your breath until you get five starters from this group.;) I would be shocked if five make the team.

#5 18-87-44-29

18-87-44-29

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

Couldn't possibly agree more.

#6 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

Couldn't possibly agree more.

All right! That confirms my opinion that the premise of this thread is utter BS.

Does anyone totally agree that what we ended up with was what we ideally would desire? Of course not, but I respect the opinions of professional NFL scouts and expert commentators. It is sobering to see what our competition came down with, especially the Bengals (IMO) but I am not ready to write off the season at this point.

#7 Bassman

Bassman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

Um, you guys realize you're on the Ravens board and not the Orioles', right?

#8 AVATAR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

I am mystified by this draft. Janoris Jenkins was in the round they picked Ose. I'd would have taken him (BPA) and has a corner and return capabilities. They get an injury prone dude that would have compete with 2 others that your supposedly high on and sat on the practice squad. Stupid move. They select a small school product that does the same thing:confused:
they get a guard that has limited strength when a receiver that offered much better upside/capabilities could have been selected. FA would have offered a running-back at a low cost that could have spelled Rice. I agree they blew this draft. Being greedy and really reaching for projects. The last pick didn't make any sense and won't make any difference so why didn't they package the pick to move up in the draft when the run on the players they coveted started to go. Ozzie makes some strange choices. If Streeter didn't fall they would have totally whiffed on the receiver. I heard that Decosta thinks it's takes luck in the draft. I thought it takes skill by knowing when your picks have any value as the draft progresses. None of the picks in the secondary have a pedigree that lauds greatness or isn't considered to be a long term project. The safety stands the best chance to succeed currently as Ed Reed has already had a hand in his development. The corner Jackson is special teams player. Projects as small - Chris Carr. Not sold at all on this pick. Sure, he has wheels but the film/stats only suggest practice squad fodder. The d-line pick projects to be bum by everything I've read. I think it's going to be a very long season. Maybe they tipped there hands way to early in the draft. You don't tell your opposition what you think you need. They should listen to the pundits for that. First rule Decosta should follow is shut the hell up or do a thorough miss-direct as to your targets in the draft. This has to be the worst draft in Ravens history. Ozzie is smart but the rest of the league is catching up to his MO. I don't know why he would think other teams wouldn't be looking at the same players. Or maybe he's oblivious that other GM's exist. And truly I'd say someone leaked there draft strategy that has left building. Funny how the Colts, Pats, Pats, all drafted this year. I thought he may take the entire small school route but I was only kidding. In this case I hate that happened. They gambled and lost this draft. Being greedy for picks has no merit when your forced to cut players you just drafted. 2 starters 4 of them maybe are camp bodies at best. All that hype from the front office was/is BS.

Edited by AVATAR, 29 April 2012 - 07:07 AM.

#9 AntiMoon

AntiMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,074 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

I see all the mentally handicapped have escaped the hospital for the weekend and have found free access to a computer.
Only 48 days til hockey season.
Only 31 days til football season.

#10 Tru Dat

Tru Dat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

I am mystified by this draft. Janoris Jenkins was in the round they picked Ose. I'd would have take him BPA and has a corner and return capabilities. They get an injury prone dude that would have compete with 2 others that your supposedly high and sat on the practice squad. Stupid move. They select a small school product that does the same thing:confused:
they get a guard that has limited strength when a receiver that offered much better upside/capabilities could have been selected. FA would have offered a running-back at a low cost that could have spelled Rice. I agree they blew this draft. Being greedy and really reaching for projects. The last pick didn't make any sense and won't make any difference so why didn't they package the pick to move up in the draft when the run on the players they coveted started to go. Ozzie makes some strange choices. If Streeter didn't fall they would have totally whiffed on the receiver. I heard that Decosta thinks it's takes luck in the draft. I thought it takes skill by knowing when your picks have any value as the draft progresses. None of the picks in the secondary have a pedigree that lauds greatness or isn't considered to be a long term project. The safety stands the best chance to succeed currently as Ed Reed has already had a hand in his development. The corner Jackson is special teams player. Projects as small - Chris Carr. Not sold at all on this pick. Sure, he has wheels but the film/stats only suggest practice squad fodder. The d-line pick projects to be bum by everything I've read. I think it's going to be a very long season. Maybe they tipped there hands way to early in the draft. You don't tell your opposition what you think you need. They should listen to the pundits for that. First rule Decosta should follow is shut the hell up or do a thorough miss-direct as to your targets in the draft. This has to be the worst draft in Ravens history. Ozzie is smart but the rest of the league is catching up to his MO. I don't know why he would think other teams wouldn't be looking at the same players. Or maybe he's oblivious that other GM's exist. And truly I'd say someone leaked there draft strategy that has left building. Funny how the Colts, Pats, Pats, all drafted this year. I thought he may take the entire small school route but I was only kidding. I this case I hate that happened.

First, Ozzie isn't a wizard. He is a good GM. No one copies his style. Good drafting team are consistent and have good GM's. I'm not a big fan on moving back. I believe in quality, not quantity. We had a bunch of picks and could of moved up and got the players we convet. NE spanked us in the draft. Pittsburgh moved up when they knew they had to. So did Dallas. Like it or not Pittsburgh's GM always does a great job with little fan fare. He did it for the prior coach and he does it for their new coach. Oh, and there is a good deal of luck involved in where your team is positioned.

#11 Tru Dat

Tru Dat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

I see all the mentally handicapped have escaped the hospital for the weekend and have found free access to a computer.

LOL...so how did you get out this time.:D

#12 Bassman

Bassman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

Yeah, but don't you know they have full access to all game tape of all college games during the past four years and plenty of time to grade the players before the draft.

#13 AVATAR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

First, Ozzie isn't a wizard. He is a good GM. No one copies his style. Good drafting team are consistent and have good GM's. I'm not a big fan on moving back. I believe in quality, not quantity. We had a bunch of picks and could of moved up and got the players we convet. NE spanked us in the draft. Pittsburgh moved up when they knew they had to. So did Dallas. Like it or not Pittsburgh's GM always does a great job with little fan fare. He did it for the prior coach and he does it for their new coach. Oh, and there is a good deal of luck involved in where your team is positioned.

I never proclaimed Ozzie as a wizard. Dude makes suspect choices in my view. I think receivers has beat his As@ damn near every year. Smith was the lone receiver and he's still suspect but I like his progression. Harbs needed special teams players and he damn sure got it. I agree with your observation about Pit,Pats,Cowboys. But luck plays a part if your ill-prepared to select the BPA in area's you may not have a immediate need for currently. Part of not being prepared is being up against the cap. If the team was pro-active signing key players then the need to go low budget would cease as a problem. Wanting to the end to pay your players cost money and draft choices. Example: C.Williams is tendered this year with no long term contract/extension past 2012. If they had taken J.Jenkins in the 3rd they would have all the leverage added a special teamer/cornerback/kr/pr with one pick. Cary has great talent but they maybe forced to tell each other to kick rocks.

To copy or out maneuvered there's a difference. I believe I said out maneuvered.

#14 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

One draftee on each side appears ready to add to the rotation right away. Osemele will get opportunity as will Upshaw. Streeter is already better than Doss, but the rest of the picks, except maybe for Gradkowski, will be soon forgotten. The hidden value in this draft is the cap space it provided for Rice, a free agent/trade or two and possibly even Flacco. Now Ozzie should find some good undrafted guys like maybe a decent backup QB and another RB.

#15 AVATAR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

One draftee on each side appears ready to add to the rotation right away. Osemele will get opportunity as will Upshaw. Streeter is already better than Doss, but the rest of the picks, except maybe for Gradkowski, will be soon forgotten. The hidden value in this draft is the cap space it provided for Rice, a free agent/trade or two and possibly even Flacco. Now Ozzie should find some good undrafted guys like maybe a decent backup QB and another RB.

I would add a slot receiver / returner to that bunch. I'd also add a kicker and linebacker.

#16 Tru Dat

Tru Dat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

I never proclaimed Ozzie as a wizard. Dude makes suspect choices in my view. I think receivers has beat his As@ damn near every year. Smith was the lone receiver and he's still suspect but I like his progression. Harbs needed special teams players and he damn sure got it. I agree with your observation about Pit,Pats,Cowboys. But luck plays a part if your ill-prepared to select the BPA in area's you may not have a immediate need for currently. Part of not being prepared is being up against the cap. If the team was pro-active signing key players then the need to go low budget would cease as a problem. Wanting to the end to pay your players cost money and draft choices. Example: C.Williams is tendered this year with no long term contract/extension past 2012. If they had taken J.Jenkins in the 3rd they would have all the leverage added a special teamer/cornerback/kr/pr with one pick. Cary has great talent but they maybe forced to tell each other to kick rocks.

To copy or out maneuvered there's a difference. I believe I said out maneuvered.

I agree with everything you stated. I even agree taken jenkins with the 3rd pick would have been a good move. No doubt it would be rolling the dice, but would have great returns if Ray and Ed could make him see the light.

#17 Peej7245

Peej7245

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

So we are supposed to take your opinion over the consensus of several experienced football analysts who believe that the Ravens are one of the best, if not the best, drafting teams in the NFL (and have been for a number of years)?

We are supposed to ignore the fact that the Ravens have the second largest number of Pro-Bowl players that came from the draft?

Finally, the fact that you are "not a fan of moving back" makes this a bad draft? Well, Tru, remember that getting Courtney Upshaw in the 2nd round not only saves money, but also brings in an impact player who will have a chip on his shoulder against all the teams who passed on him.

In my opinion, this was a good draft, as good as it can be given the limitations facing the Ravens.

#18 classea5

classea5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

Sorry Lone Ranger, locker combo agrees with you, that negates anything you have to say!

#19 Ravens75

Ravens75

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

I see there are some posers on this board. I feel bad for guys like Peej, bass and some of the other good posters.

If you listened to tru, you might as well go for the Steelers like he/she does I guess because the Ravens are awful.

#20 Peej7245

Peej7245

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

I disagree with one point, but agree with all the others.

Streeter and Doss are different types of receivers. Streeter is the burner who can, if he develops as Torrey Smith did, perform as the #2 WR opposite Smith. Doss is a possession receiver like Boldin...his strength is not getting separation, but working in traffic.

As to the rest:

Upshaw will be a part of the mix...he's like Adalius Thomas or JJ and can set the edge while pushing Krueger to be an all-around LB. If that happens, then the Ravens hit a home run on Krueger AND on Upshaw because both will contribute.

Osemele, if he is moved inside to LG, will push Reid and Gratkowski and the OLine will be much better both short and long term because the one who wins the job will have come out on top of a great competition.

Your idea of the hidden value being cap savings is a good one...but also consider that part of that is the fact that the level of competition from the low-round draftees has been improving every season. That means the 53-man roster will contain even more of those winners of really competitive battles!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users