Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

I keep telling myself not to get sucked in...

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

but these guys have been fun to watch.
Pessimism is just an ugly word for 'pattern recognition'.

#2 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,743 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

That's because, unlike the prognosticators, these guys have to play real baseball.

I still maintain these guys are missing that something to put them over the top, but this is a club with the potential to win 85-90 games - with continued health.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#3 Softbank Orioles

Softbank Orioles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

Hey, just enjoy it while it lasts.

If we can't enjoy this stretch at least, than what's the point? Ya know?

#4 TravisMoon

TravisMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,945 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

That's because, unlike the prognosticators, these guys have to play real baseball.

^^^^
This.

TM
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "The Preying Matusz" devours another batter!

#5 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,266 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

What a ballgame today. I like the moxie of this team. I hope this trend continues.

#6 Softbank Orioles

Softbank Orioles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

I still maintain these guys are missing that something to put them over the top, but this is a club with the potential to win 85-90 games - with continued health.

I'd like to think that when Hardy starts hitting it will be like we added a free agent.

#7 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,048 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

I'd like to think that when Hardy starts hitting it will be like we added a free agent.

And Reynolds ...

#8 Softbank Orioles

Softbank Orioles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

And Reynolds ...

Eh, I don't consider Mark much of an asset offensively.

Sure he hits home runs in bunches, but when he's not hitting he's a free out for weeks on end.

I know people like to compare him to Adam Dunn's good years, but Adam had like, .380 OBPs.

Mark is good for .320. That's not much to write home amount.

Markakis should start piling up singles and double soon, though.

#9 funkateer

funkateer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

And Reynolds ...

I know. They're doing what they're doing without Hardy's bat, and without Reynolds' bat, too. Eventually, one of the hot hitters right now will cool off...but perhaps JJ or Reynolds will get it going right around that time.

#10 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,443 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

As always, enjoy it while it lasts, and pray that the starting pitching and timely hitting continue. They finished 14-8 last year, and that was a year in which they lost 93 games. They had a 17-8 stretch the year before, when they lost 96 games. If a whole bunch of these guys have REALLY turned a corner, then it'll show up in their record at the end of the year.
"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#11 Softbank Orioles

Softbank Orioles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

I know. They're doing what they're doing without Hardy's bat, and without Reynolds' bat, too. Eventually, one of the hot hitters right now will cool off...but perhaps JJ or Reynolds will get it going right around that time.

I'd trade JJ and Mark getting hot for the Bob Dino singles show any day of the year!

:D

#12 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,048 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

Eh, I don't consider Mark much of an asset offensively.

Sure he hits home runs in bunches, but when he's not hitting he's a free out for weeks on end.

I know people like to compare him to Adam Dunn's good years, but Adam had like, .380 OBPs.

Mark is good for .320. That's not much to write home amount.

Markakis should start piling up singles and double soon, though.

Yeah, people used to mention his OBP as an asset, so I looked it up.

Not so good.

Maybe they are impressed by the spread between his putrid BAs and his OBPs.

#13 prairieaug

prairieaug

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

They have been playing good ball so far. Best stat I heard today while watching the game: Last year the O's only won 5 games when trailing after 7 innings. Today they won their 5th game of the season when trailing after 7 innings. I think that says something about the team. Not getting giddy or expecting them to win the division, just saying.
I'm stopping off at Charlie Eckmans for a six pack of Natty Boh.
"I gave Mike Cuellar more chances than my first wife". – Earl Weaver

#14 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,968 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

Hey, just enjoy it while it lasts.

If we can't enjoy this stretch at least, than what's the point? Ya know?

What a ballgame today. I like the moxie of this team. I hope this trend continues.

They have been playing good ball so far. Best stat I heard today while watching the game: Last year the O's only won 5 games when trailing after 7 innings. Today they won their 5th game of the season when trailing after 7 innings. I think that says something about the team. Not getting giddy or expecting them to win the division, just saying.

It IS fun, and that IS the point. They are showing some guts and spirit, and different guys are coming through when they must. I loved that stat on TV about their late foot. That's the kind of thing that makes you stick with a game rather than shut it off when they fall behind. It's got to rub off on the players as well, knowing there is always hope if they keep on hustling.

Of course, now we're looking at NY, Boston, Texas, and Tampa, so it is possible a big wet blanket is descending as we speak, but I'll hang in there.

#15 44Defense

44Defense

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

The Orioles are in position to be competitive. This season will come down to Peter A. Will they to try to upgrade the team for a chance at a playoff push or will the trade some of their players for the future. They are in a tough spot. Hopefully they make the right choice. If they win 80 games with this team Buck should win the Manager of the year.

#16 18-87-44-29

18-87-44-29

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Just so long as you're still having fun watching them go 4-11 over this next 15-game gantlet.

#17 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

Just so long as you're still having fun watching them go 4-11 over this next 15-game gantlet.

so YOU thought he needed YOU to tell him that

Oriole troll...check that
Baltimore troll

#18 Go Os

Go Os

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

"Gantlet" ... Priceless!

#19 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,365 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

Of course, now we're looking at NY, Boston, Texas, and Tampa, so it is possible a big wet blanket is descending as we speak, but I'll hang in there.

this is when you want to play these teams. the O's are playing well.

I wasn't expecting to see them come home from that road trip out west, and still be above .500 this is just another challenge they have a chance to rise to.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#20 AntiMoon

AntiMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,074 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Get sucked in. Have fun while it lasts. Since last Sep the O's are what, 29-21? The goal of this season to me remains the same: hope some of these guys lock down spots for the future. Davis,Reimold,Andino,etc. Still means more in the big picture than whether we win 75 or 80 games. Now win 90 games then all bets would be off. Screw the future and go for it.
Only 48 days til hockey season.
Only 31 days til football season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users