• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Andy in Hagerstown

Andy in Hagerstown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

I've seen a lot of negativity about this draft and it has me scratching my head really. First off drafts can't be determined until 2-3 years down the road.

I'm going to go through this and make some general observations.

Upshaw is a huge win getting him in the second round along with a 4th round pick that could be our future center in Gradkowski. Lets remember Bart Scott was an UFA and double J was a 4th round pick.

Osemele could be our starting guard this year and from what I have heard could be above average at his position. Yanda was a 3rd round pick and C/G Jason Brown was a 4th round pick.

Pierce is going to battle with Allen for the backup RB. He runs low to the ground and has good power. Priest Holmes was an undrafted UFA and Chester Taylor was a 6th round pick.

Gradkowski could be our center next season learning under Birk this season. In this draft we may have gotten two young and solid replacements on our OL. Remember everybody our Super Bowl Center Jeff Mitchell was a 5th round pick and Mike Flynn was a UFA.

Thompson is an interesting pick at safety. He is being mentored by Ed Reed which is interesting. Not sure what it means but it is interesting. They needed to add depth to this position and this seems to be a solid pick. Our Super Bowl starting safety Kim Herring was a 2nd round pick and Dawan Landry was a 5th round pick.

Asa Jackson could be a great pick. Who knows how he'll be as a corner. But this guy is strong in special teams and the return game. If he could be our returner its a win-win. We may finally have a decent return man AND it keeps Webb off the field in these situations.

Streeter is a straight line burner, period. He is the type of guy you want on your roster IF you understand his limitations and play to his strengths. Torrey Smith is going to become a better route runner. Boldin and hopefully Doss are your possesion route runner guys. Streeter is a stretch the field guy.

Tyson is a DT and he'll have a tough time making the team. But he was a 7th round pick so know one really knows what to expect.

My point in all of this is that many want to question this draft and these players. We have no way of knowing how this is going to play out. But Raven history shows that they have had success in the middle rounds and I think we all need to take a step back and see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users