• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,290 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

Right, the Orioles are 0-4 against the Yankees this year.

Keep Trolling...

#2 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,648 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Losses don't count if they're by smaller numbers of runs.
The kids are alright.

#3 larsanderson

larsanderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

Do the wins count if its 3-2 or 2-1?

#4 Joy in Mudville

Joy in Mudville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,959 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

A loss is a loss but five come from behind wins in April is impressive by any standard. The bullpen has been excellent. Adam Jones and Matt Weiters are the real deal. Hardy will find his offense. The bench has made some critical contributions to winning games. Reimold is showing promise. Andino has become a very solid player.

Hamels, Hunter, and Chen have all been very good. Arrieta has been good. Matsuez has shown improvement and pitched his best game of the season this weekend.

I don't think anyone would have expected the O's to be 14 and 9 at this point in the season.

#5 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,648 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

A loss is a loss but five come from behind wins in April is impressive by any standard. The bullpen has been excellent. Adam Jones and Matt Weiters are the real deal. Hardy will find his offense. The bench has made some critical contributions to winning games. Reimold is showing promise. Andino has become a very solid player.

Hamels, Hunter, and Chen have all been very good. Arrieta has been good. Matsuez has shown improvement and pitched his best game of the season this weekend.

I don't think anyone would have expected the O's to be 14 and 9 at this point in the season.

Sure, they've overperformed, which nobody expected, but does anyone actually expect this to last? Is our starting pitching really in the top 5 in baseball? Is our bullpen really number 1?

Come on, surely nobody can actually believe that.
The kids are alright.

#6 Byng

Byng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,317 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

Sure, they've overperformed, which nobody expected, but does anyone actually expect this to last? Is our starting pitching really in the top 5 in baseball? Is our bullpen really number 1?

Come on, surely nobody can actually believe that.

I do, the bullpen is equal to, or better than any in the American league and as for the offence, Reynolds and Hardy haven't even started to hit. We have as brutal of a schedule over these next two stands as any in baseball and I fully expect to get through them playing .500 ball, including the series over 'your' Texas Rangers!:)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. Jacques Yves Cousteau.

#7 AntiMoon

AntiMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,074 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

It's nothing we haven't always known: Need to go 32-40 against East. 5-1 against Tor is encouraging. Need to win a game in NY and 2 in Bos to avoid the usual collapse
Only 48 days til hockey season.
Only 31 days til football season.

#8 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,648 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

I do, the bullpen is equal to, or better than any in the American league and as for the offence, Reynolds and Hardy haven't even started to hit. We have as brutal of a schedule over these next two stands as any in baseball and I fully expect to get through them playing .500 ball, including the series over 'your' Texas Rangers!:)

It must be nice to be able to deny reality. I'm far less optimistic.
The kids are alright.

#9 Byng

Byng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,317 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

It must be nice to be able to deny reality. I'm far less optimistic.

Reality my friend, is that the Baltimore Orioles are in first place in the American League East playing very good baseball and because of injuries and proven players yet to hit their stride only firing on 3 cylinder but still winning. Just wait for them to fire on all 4 and take it up a notch!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. Jacques Yves Cousteau.

#10 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,648 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

Reality my friend, is that the Baltimore Orioles are in first place in the American League East playing very good baseball and because of injuries and proven players yet to hit their stride only firing on 3 cylinder but still winning. Just wait for them to fire on all 4 and take it up a notch!

They aren't in first anymore.

And their pitching is firing on 6 cylinders, but it's only a 4 cylinder engine. You don't really expect Hammel to have a Cy Young type year, do you? Or Hunter? Or Chen?
The kids are alright.

#11 Byng

Byng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,317 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

And their pitching is firing on 6 cylinders, but it's only a 4 cylinder engine. You don't really expect Hammel to have a Cy Young type year, do you? Or Hunter? Or Chen?

Yes, both Hammel and Chen, Hunter, not so much but he will remain an innings eater and more times than not giving the team a chance to win.

#12 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

It's nothing we haven't always known: Need to go 32-40 against East. 5-1 against Tor is encouraging. Need to win a game in NY and 2 in Bos to avoid the usual collapse

Precisely. What I see right now is a team that can probably consistently beat the bad to middling teams in the AL West and AL Central (which is an improvement in itself) but which hasn't demonstrated it can beat the contenders.

#13 18-87-44-29

18-87-44-29

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:14 AM

Welcome to last year! :rwb:

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,960 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:09 AM

I think they are better at aspects of the game that lead to more wins. They get hits in RBI situations and they don't lay down in the late innings. They actually come back.

on the other hand, their offense is weak. and while Hardy and Reynolds will probably heat up, Davis and Riemold will probably cool off, so that will be a wash. while I am fully enjoying this first month of good baseball, one month is not enough of a sample size for me to say they are for real.

this is a team of career unproven talents and back up players with a few proven players mixed in. that is always a recipe for mediocrity. once in a great while, you get a "why not" type team. but the odds aren't good.

the pitching is doing very, very well, but again I have to look at it from a logical perspective. on paper, the various careers of the O's SPs don't suggest this is who they will be for 6 months.

so I'm going to enjoy it for as long as it lasts.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#15 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,906 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

Right, the Orioles are 0-4 against the Yankees this year.

Keep Trolling...

This is a better team.
It's not going to count for anything at the end, except for a better overall record, but this a team that will win much more than the 60 a lot of people across the country predicted.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#16 Byng

Byng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,317 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

This is a better team.
It's not going to count for anything at the end, except for a better overall record, but this a team that will win much more than the 60 a lot of people across the country predicted.

Exactly! We have more depth and more interchangeable parts than most teams in baseball. Reynolds continues to struggle at 3rd. but plays very well defensively at 1st. base, plus he will eventually take off at the plate, hopefully coinciding with when the current home run leaders on the team cool of a little from their hot start to take up the load. The revolving door at DH is not producing the hits one might have hoped for a month into the season but it is allowing us to rest players more and in doing so avoid the injuries sometimes incurred when having to keep players on the field when not totally fit.

Outside of Gregg the bullpen has been lights out plus we have depth in the minors with a number of very good relievers ready to come up when needed.

Nobody expects the O's to be a playoff team this season but some of us did predict, against the majority of posters, the sort of improvement the O's are showing. We would all have been pleased for the O's to be playing .500 ball at the beginning of the season and many laughed at the new GM predicting that we would. I note that the majority of posters that predicted that the 2012 O's are a far worse team than the 2011 O's are starting to eat their words.;)

#17 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,960 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

Exactly! We have more depth and more interchangeable parts than most teams in baseball. Reynolds continues to struggle at 3rd. but plays very well defensively at 1st. base, plus he will eventually take off at the plate, hopefully coinciding with when the current home run leaders on the team cool of a little from their hot start to take up the load. The revolving door at DH is not producing the hits one might have hoped for a month into the season but it is allowing us to rest players more and in doing so avoid the injuries sometimes incurred when having to keep players on the field when not totally fit.

Outside of Gregg the bullpen has been lights out plus we have depth in the minors with a number of very good relievers ready to come up when needed.

Nobody expects the O's to be a playoff team this season but some of us did predict, against the majority of posters, the sort of improvement the O's are showing. We would all have been pleased for the O's to be playing .500 ball at the beginning of the season and many laughed at the new GM predicting that we would. I note that the majority of posters that predicted that the 2012 O's are a far worse team than the 2011 O's are starting to eat their words.;)

easy, it's still April (since they haven't played today yet). that's a long way from the finish line.

I'm not hoping for a collapse, quite the opposite. a big part of their success will be the pitching staying at or near this level of quality starts. if the BP has to start coming in for the 4th-5th inning most nights, the wheels will fall off real quick. that's not pessimism talking, that's just how baseball works. no BP can carry a weak starting rotation for 4-5 months. they get tired and burned out.

it all hinges on the pitching with this team, unless the bats start cranking out 6-7 runs a game. that would allow Buck to stick with a struggling starter.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#18 Byng

Byng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,317 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

easy, it's still April (since they haven't played today yet). that's a long way from the finish line.

I'm not hoping for a collapse, quite the opposite. a big part of their success will be the pitching staying at or near this level of quality starts. if the BP has to start coming in for the 4th-5th inning most nights, the wheels will fall off real quick. that's not pessimism talking, that's just how baseball works. no BP can carry a weak starting rotation for 4-5 months. they get tired and burned out.

it all hinges on the pitching with this team, unless the bats start cranking out 6-7 runs a game. that would allow Buck to stick with a struggling starter.

Arn't Chen and Hammel a pleasant surprise? Pretty good additions I would say by a GM that was ridiculed for making the Guthrie trade and picking up players on the International market which many on this board described as the leftovers in the Far East that nobody else wanted. Seems like DD might be a better evaluator of under the radar pitching/baseball talent than many gave him credit for.

If memory serves me correctly, my friend, you were among that group?:)

#19 18-87-44-29

18-87-44-29

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

This is a better team.

Right...so in stead of 60...it will be more around 64-66 or so. Whuppee.

#20 Aletheia

Aletheia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

The pitching may not play as good as they are now, but the hitting won'y play as bad either. i believe the orioles will be competitive this year, the whole year. They may be over achieving but there is nothing to say they cannot do it for the whole season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users