#1 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

his defense up to this point has been pretty bad

his offensive numbers are even worse

AB..........H.........AVG...........Ks...........OBP...........SLG............

Just wondering what you guys think ?
Do we even have someone to replace him with ?

Edited by durango46, 01 May 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#2 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,513 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

Literally anyone (well, other than Nick Johnson) is an upgrade at this point. If they signed Brandon Inge they could at least have someone who plays the position well while sucking at the plate.
The kids are alright.

#3 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

Literally anyone (well, other than Nick Johnson) is an upgrade at this point. If they signed Brandon Inge they could at least have someone who plays the position well while sucking at the plate.

I thought they should have brought Inge in. At least the guy can play defense.
At this point I'm not sure he wouldn't be an upgrade offensively also.

And for the record ....I wish Reynolds was playing better. I like the guy.

#4 AntiMoon

AntiMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,074 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:33 AM

Got to let Reynolds play himself out of this. He's going to hit for power eventually. That doesn't happen sitting on the bench. Now if you can go find somebody better great, but until then there is nobody sitting on the bench that's an upgrade.
Only 48 days til hockey season.
Only 31 days til football season.

#5 douglas tomlinson

douglas tomlinson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

Reynolds should be moved to first permanently. Then let his bat get figured out. Let him DH/1B, this is where he is better suited. His defense is better there and Davis is good at 3B. No Inge or Johnson, they are looking back we need to look forward. find someone who is a possibility at 1B or 3B and work them in for a long term solution.

#6 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

Do we miss Vlad yet or do we continue to prefer the "production" we're getting from Nick and Mark?

#7 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,134 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

Do we miss Vlad yet or do we continue to prefer the "production" we're getting from Nick and Mark?

Betemit had a walk off the other night. Vlad would likely have grounded out.

#8 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

Betemit had a walk off the other night. Vlad would likely have grounded out.

Nice change of subject - I was talking about Hall of Famer Vlad, Nick and Mark and you respond with Betemit. The O's are doing great and are on pace for 99 wins, which is four more than my prediction. Imagine how much better their record would be if they had an offensive machine on the roster rather than Nick or Mark?

#9 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

[quote name='hector']Nice change of subject - I was talking about Hall of Famer Vlad, Nick and Mark and you respond with Betemit. The O's are doing great and are on pace for 99 wins, which is four more than my prediction. Imagine how much better their record would be if they had an offensive machine on the roster rather than Nick or Mark?[/QUOTE]

Lmao hector...only with a time machine is Vlad an 'offensive machine'. Thanks for the laugh though.

#10 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,134 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Nice change of subject - I was talking about Hall of Famer Vlad, Nick and Mark and you respond with Betemit. The O's are doing great and are on pace for 99 wins, which is four more than my prediction. Imagine how much better their record would be if they had an offensive machine on the roster rather than Nick or Mark?

Wasn't Betemit brought in primarily as DH (Vlad replacement)?

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,385 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

Reynolds should be moved to first permanently. Then let his bat get figured out. Let him DH/1B, this is where he is better suited. His defense is better there and Davis is good at 3B. No Inge or Johnson, they are looking back we need to look forward. find someone who is a possibility at 1B or 3B and work them in for a long term solution.

I think he should be the DH. his glove is a liability no matter where you put him.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#12 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

Wasn't Betemit brought in primarily as DH (Vlad replacement)?

I don't think so. Betemit still plays several positions in the field and I think is more of a utility player with decent career stats. As to DH, I believe the plan was to replace Vlad with a committee including Nick and Mark and probably others. If the O's were really determined to dump Vlad, I could see how they could have deluded themselves on Mark (excellent power to go with his huge strikeout totals, low batting average and terrible fielding), but I can't quite imagine the rationale for believing that Nick could replace Hall of Famer Vlad.

Anyway, it's not too late. They could still dump Nick and bring in Hall of Famer Vlad, the Impaler.

#13 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

[quote name='Gizmo'][quote name='hector']Nice change of subject - I was talking about Hall of Famer Vlad, Nick and Mark and you respond with Betemit. The O's are doing great and are on pace for 99 wins, which is four more than my prediction. Imagine how much better their record would be if they had an offensive machine on the roster rather than Nick or Mark?[/QUOTE]

Lmao hector...only with a time machine is Vlad an 'offensive machine'. Thanks for the laugh though.[/QUOTE]

Isn't it all relative? Compared to Mark and Nick, YOU'RE probably an offensive machine.

#14 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

[quote name='hector'][quote name='Gizmo']

Isn't it all relative? Compared to Mark and Nick, YOU'RE probably an offensive machine.[/QUOTE]

I did hit one over the 305 ft left field fence last week in my 30 and over Roy Hobbs league, so you might be right about something. Finally.

#15 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

[quote name='Gizmo'][quote name='hector']

I did hit one over the 305 ft left field fence last week in my 30 and over Roy Hobbs league, so you might be right about something. Finally.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations, that's great. You have more homers than Mark and Nick combined.

#16 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

I'm not sure why Betemit was brought in period.

In looking at his career stats.....he's never been much of an offensive threat.
On the other hand his defensive numbers are pretty good. :confused:

#17 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

I'm not sure why Betemit was brought in period.

In looking at his career stats.....he's never been much of an offensive threat.
On the other hand his defensive numbers are pretty good. :confused:

Given all the holes in the O's infield in the off-season (1B, 2B, 3B), it made sense to sign an experienced utility man like Betemit to play in the field particularly since DD set the 2012 goal at .500 or better. If DD wanted to send a message to the team that high expectations are now the rule, he should cut Nick J and sign Vlad.

#18 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,385 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

Given all the holes in the O's infield in the off-season (1B, 2B, 3B), it made sense to sign an experienced utility man like Betemit to play in the field particularly since DD set the 2012 goal at .500 or better. If DD wanted to send a message to the team that high expectations are now the rule, he should cut Nick J and sign Vlad.

interesting idea. no one will argue that NJ needs to retire. so, without any comparison to any players on the current roster, and based solely on his own abilities at this time, what do you think Vlad brings to the O's?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#19 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

interesting idea. no one will argue that NJ needs to retire. so, without any comparison to any players on the current roster, and based solely on his own abilities at this time, what do you think Vlad brings to the O's?

Depends...and I mean that literally.

#20 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

Vlad brings a long career of outstanding offensive statistics and decent offensive numbers from last year even though they were slightly lower than in prior years. Opposing teams would see him as an offensive threat which is more than can be said for Nick or Mark. Given the excellent progress from Jones and Weiters in 2012, Vlad should be the fulltime DH and bat 6th or 7th in the lineup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users