• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SeaDee3

SeaDee3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,948 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

Now that the Angels have released him and would have to pay the brunt of his contract would the Orioles be interested in him in lieu of Nick Johnson? Abreu was always a pain in the O's butt. The guy was a good hitter and decent OF . If he still has a little left in the tank he would be more of an asset than Johnson.

Just a thought!

I would not have had any problem with Brandon Inge but it looks like the A's are going to get him. He could pick it even if his bat was headed south.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

#2 Agrippa

Agrippa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

Why Abreau? There are 5 older position players, active, in the American League.

#3 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

Now that the Angels have released him and would have to pay the brunt of his contract would the Orioles be interested in him in lieu of Nick Johnson? Abreu was always a pain in the O's butt. The guy was a good hitter and decent OF . If he still has a little left in the tank he would be more of an asset than Johnson.

Just a thought!

I would not have had any problem with Brandon Inge but it looks like the A's are going to get him. He could pick it even if his bat was headed south.

The O's should stay away from ex-Yankees like Abreu. Hopefully we've learned our lesson from signing Nick J (instead of the Impaler).

#4 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

If it keeps Nick Johnson off the field.....I'm all for it. The guy can't be any worse then Reynolds, Johnson and Betemit offensively speaking.

With the Angels paying for most of it....

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea

Inge played last night for the A's and went 1-3 with a walk

#5 Frank Costanza 831

Frank Costanza 831

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

Why we already have a DH batting .000

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,947 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

Abreau offers more than Johnson. it's one of those moves that is an improvement, but only compared to the dismal standard the O's are producing at now, at that position. which in this case is .000 (Johnson)

he's essentially a FA, so you don't give up anything but money. Comparing last year's totals, he would be a slightly lesser version of Vlad. but he can still play the field (somewhat).

I'm not sure what, if any, other alternatives there are. Vlad and Abreau essentially offer the same possibilities. slightly better offense (Vlad) vs the ability to still play the OF (Bobby).

the only deciding factor I can think of is who would play for less money. Bobby is most likely the one who would sign for less since he's already getting his jack from ANA.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#7 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

Abreau offers more than Johnson. it's one of those moves that is an improvement, but only compared to the dismal standard the O's are producing at now, at that position. which in this case is .000 (Johnson)

he's essentially a FA, so you don't give up anything but money. Comparing last year's totals, he would be a slightly lesser version of Vlad. but he can still play the field (somewhat).

I'm not sure what, if any, other alternatives there are. Vlad and Abreau essentially offer the same possibilities. slightly better offense (Vlad) vs the ability to still play the OF (Bobby).

the only deciding factor I can think of is who would play for less money. Bobby is most likely the one who would sign for less since he's already getting his jack from ANA.

Welcome aboard the "we miss Vlad the Impaler express." It took awhile but I'm glad you came around.

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,947 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

Welcome aboard the "we miss Vlad the Impaler express." It took awhile but I'm glad you came around.

only if words like "dismal" and "slightly lesser" are considered a compliment.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#9 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,904 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

The O's should stay away from ex-Yankees like Abreu. Hopefully we've learned our lesson from signing Nick J (instead of the Impaler).

Vlad is still available and he will be the entire season - keep hope alive Hector....
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#10 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

It all depends on Reimold's health. No way Chavez mans LF fulltime. The guy is a defense first fifth outfielder on decent teams. Now prove me wrong Endy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users