• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cealex1223

cealex1223

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

Kind of interesting, really. We have one lefty in the bullpen and one spot filled by Gregg (disaster). We have a 3B that couldn't catch a cold, or hit water if he fell from a boat (Reynolds), a DH that just had his first hit of the season (in MAY, thanks Nick Johnson!) a couple of moments ago, a back up OF'er and leadoff hitter that looks completely overmatched (Chavez).

What could we do with those roster spots?

#2 dandrews

dandrews

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,055 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

Keep em all, except for Gregg. Release him and call up Zach Phillips so we can have another lefty.

Reynolds will pick it up.

If Chavez was good, he wouldn't be a 4th outfielder for us. Take what you can get. Considering his defense you'd be hard pressed to find a better 4th outfielder available.

Don't really care what we do with Nick Johnson. His average won't stay this low all year, and he only plays once a week anyway.

#3 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,286 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Reynolds had "zero" homers in April.

How, exactly, is he going to "pick it up"???

#4 AntiMoon

AntiMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,074 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

Reynolds: 2 HR's last April. Most HR's in baseball from June 1st-Oct 1st.
Only 48 days til hockey season.
Only 31 days til football season.

#5 cealex1223

cealex1223

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

Oh come on, we're talking four wasted roster spots, a legit contender wouldn't be able to afford that. I'm simply asking, how much of an upgrade would it take at these four spots to make this team legit?

#6 gottselig2004

gottselig2004

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,889 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:39 AM

Kind of interesting, really. We have one lefty in the bullpen and one spot filled by Gregg (disaster). We have a 3B that couldn't catch a cold, or hit water if he fell from a boat (Reynolds), a DH that just had his first hit of the season (in MAY, thanks Nick Johnson!) a couple of moments ago, a back up OF'er and leadoff hitter that looks completely overmatched (Chavez).

This isnt fantasy baseball.....every team has upgradeable positions but our team competes and no one playing with regularity is a liability.

Chavez is a reliable veteran 4/5th OF and his record speaks for itself or did you forget Pie?

#7 Birman813

Birman813

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

SMH... Everyone is not gonna come out the gates guns blaze'n.. Guess what, Mark Reynolds has the EXACT same amount of homeruns as Albert Puljos. Should the Angels sit Puljos ?? I'm willing to bet both players will hit over 30 Homers this year. It's MLB not video games on Playstation.

#8 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

Gregg is really hurting this team when comes to a roster spot. I thought we might see him last night in a mop up role with the 7-1 lead. But Buck didn't even do that. So what good is he ?

The O's are carrying what 12 pitchers ?

Not knowing Reimolds condition the Orioles have 3 outfielders. With Chavez struggling they sure could use another one. I guess Flaherty can fill that role but I like him at 3rd.

Agree Nick Johnson should have never been signed....see injuries, age

Hopefully Reynolds can turn it around, But I have my doubts

#9 gottselig2004

gottselig2004

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,889 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

Gregg is really hurting this team when comes to a roster spot. The O's are caring what 12 pitchers ?

Not knowing Reimolds condition the Orioles have 3 outfielders. With Chavez struggling they sure could use another one.

Agree Nick Johnson should have never been signed....see injuries, age

Hopefully Reynolds can turn it around, But I have my doubts

Did you ever think that maybe something else is going on behind the scenes like Injury, sore arm or a personal issue?

Im rem last year so im not sticking up for him but he has only pitched 5 innings and during a 7-1 lead if healthy he might have pitched the 9th last night instead of Ayala who seems to pitch in 2/3 games.

#10 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

Chavez is fine - he's not really a leadoff hitter, just a backup. He's also clutch (look up his history with the Mets on You Tube) and can play all OF positions.

Gregg - release or trade him (they won't do it yet).

Reynolds - no way they're giving up on this guy.

Nick - he could still be valuable, with his historical skillset.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#11 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:19 AM

Did you ever think that maybe something else is going on behind the scenes like Injury, sore arm or a personal issue?

Im rem last year so im not sticking up for him but he has only pitched 5 innings and during a 7-1 lead if healthy he might have pitched the 9th last night instead of Ayala who seems to pitch in 2/3 games.

all very true
however, with Buck not using him in any sort of role, it's my opinion he's a wasted roster spot that Buck could use.

#12 gottselig2004

gottselig2004

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,889 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

all very true
however, with Buck not using him in any sort of role, it's my opinion he's a wasted roster spot that Buck could use.

I get what your saying dont get me wrong and I would love for Pat Neshek to come up and take his place assuming he is good to go or another like Eveland or Villarreal.

#13 cealex1223

cealex1223

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

This isnt fantasy baseball.....every team has upgradeable positions but our team competes and no one playing with regularity is a liability.

Chavez is a reliable veteran 4/5th OF and his record speaks for itself or did you forget Pie?

I don't disagree with that, these spots seem to be a rather extreme drop off year to date. I do agree that NJ and Reynolds could rally, and Chavez is a role player, but their collective production is remarkably low through April. My point was, I wonder what could be if these guys were contributors.

#14 gottselig2004

gottselig2004

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,889 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

I don't disagree with that, these spots seem to be a rather extreme drop off year to date. I do agree that NJ and Reynolds could rally, and Chavez is a role player, but their collective production is remarkably low through April. My point was, I wonder what could be if these guys were contributors.

It really is irrelevant since individual stats and shortcomings havent taken away from the goal of winning ball games.

speaking for myself only I could care less about individual stats and only about the "W" but speculate away

#15 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,364 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

The Orioles are playing better than they have in a long time. All teams have players who struggle from now and then. Why not just enjoy the wins instead of focusing on the players who are struggling?
-----------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#16 Softbank Orioles

Softbank Orioles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

I don't think Endy will be this bad all year either. Check his career numbers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users