Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AntiMoon

WNST: Rumors of Suggs injury

88 posts in this topic

Report: Terrell Suggs tears Achilles tendon

Posted by Mike Florio on May 3, 2012, 9:46 AM EDT

suggs.jpg?w=250 Getty ImagesFrom former Redskins G.M. Vinny Cerrato, now of 105.7 The Fan in Baltimore, comes the latest stunner in one of the most stunning offseasons in NFL history.

Per Cerrato, Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs has torn an Achilles tendon.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the Ravens have not yet received a conclusive diagnosis. Still, for now, it doesn’t look good.

And it won’t look good for the Ravens if they have to proceed without the 2011 defensive player of the year.

It’s also a stark reminder that, no matter how good a team looks on paper, it can all fall apart, quickly.

Making matters worse for the Ravens is the timing. If this had happened a week ago, they could have adjusted their draft plans accordingly.

Yinz have to adapt, but no excuses when the Steelers beat you this season. Too bad T-Sizzle.

Achilles is tough to recover from. If its a true tear I don't expect the same player again. Have had issues myself and seen other athletes with it that have retired or just haven't been themselves.

This time, "Next Man Up" will be much easier said than done. We'll be relying on Kindle, Upshaw, and Krueger to fill those shoes, and none have proven (at least at the NFL level) that they can get to the QB. Wouldn't be surprised to see a pitch for Osi Umenyiora if we can afford him. He's looking longterm deal, may not be a good fit.

I don't think the Ravens defense is all of the sudden going to fall off the cliff because of the loss of one guy, but yeah losing the DPOY is going to hurt. They may not be as dominant as in years past, and teams may be able to run on them a bit more, but I still expect they will still be one of the better defensive units out there. But with their schedule, this is a real blow to SB hopes.

Wonder if the Umenyoura talks heat back up. Addition of Upshaw and Umenyoura plus improvement from McPhee,Kruger and Kindle and I don't see why we can't overcome this.

Wonder if the Umenyoura talks heat back up. Addition of Upshaw and Umenyoura plus improvement from McPhee,Kruger and Kindle and I don't see why we can't overcome this.

You don't? Suggs was the only guy who could get to the QB last year. Now teams don't have to game plan for him. It's over. No pass rush = no superbowl.

Sucks. Just when I was thinking we might be able to get after the passer form BOTH sides this season... Time for the next man in line to step up big time. I'm looking at YOU, Kindle!

No idea yet of the severity. No idea yet of who they'll add between now and September. No idea yet who might step up in that role, and maybe improve. No idea how guys like McPhee / Cody will progress with another year. No idea yet how Upshaw will perform. And more importantly... no idea yet what the defensive staff will do differently or how they'll adjust.

But go ahead... write off the season.

You don't? Suggs was the only guy who could get to the QB last year. Now teams don't have to game plan for him. It's over. No pass rush = no superbowl.

Ravens: 3rd in the league in sacks. Don't let facts get in your way. As usual