Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mythoughts

Buck: 121-125 as the O's Skipper

15 posts in this topic

Him getting back to .500 for his tenure isn't going to be easy though with

Bos

Tex x 4

TB x 3

and NY x 2 over the next 9 games

But how exciting are this weekend's game agaist Tampa Bay going to be ?

...for 1st Place (hopefully) ??

...in Baltimore ???

This is a stat that the majority of posters missed when they ridiculed DD for predicting at least a .500 team and possibly a winning team for the O's in 2012. The O's have been steadily heading in that direction under Showalter for most of his tenure.

This is a stat that the majority of posters missed when they ridiculed DD for predicting at least a .500 team and possibly a winning team for the O's in 2012. The O's have been steadily heading in that direction under Showalter for most of his tenure.

Well said!

TM

Well said!

TM

The choice of Manager and how they manage, both on and off the field can make a big difference. One needs to look no further than Boston and the pretty obvious meltdown going on there under Bobby Valentine. His public berating of some of the veteran players on Boston's team is certainly not helping that club. Someone needs to tell him to take a leaf out of Buck's book and when you have something to say about a player which is not good then you do it behind closed doors!

FINALLY, THANK YOU.

An implicit rejection of MacPhail, Flanagan and Beattie as abject failures.

Much like Duquette in Boston, they built the foundation for our championship dynasty which will relegate you and the other jealous trolls back under the internet tough guy rocks from which you came leaving me free to spread the Oriole gospel unencumbered!

TM

Adam Jones yesterday:

"Heart, the accountability," Jones replied. "We play for a manager in (Buck) Showalter who is no-nonsense. If you come out and play hard, he loves you. If you go out and dog it ... Even if you make mistakes, he loves you as long as you play hard. Physical things happen, but you can always be prepared. If we're prepared, you can't be mad.

Much like Duquette in Boston, they built the foundation for our championship dynasty which will relegate you and the other jealous trolls back under the internet tough guy rocks from which you came leaving me free to spread the Oriole gospel unencumbered!

TM

took 14 years for the plan to kick in ;)

Well Done

I posted this very fact a couple days ago, when Buck was 6 games away from a .500 record with the Orioles...now he's just 4 games away. I thought it was worth pointing out, because everyone kept pooh-poohing the O's record thus far this season, saying "small sample size, small sample size".....so I decided to look up Showalter's record since he took over at the end of the 2010 season....and even I was surprised to see that he was very, very close to the fabled and supposedly impossible-for-the-Orioles-to-achieve .500 record. The Orioles are .492 with Buck Showalter at the helm.

The important thing about it all is that this has happened over the course of 246 games -- that's practically a season and a half's worth of games ---- NOT a small sample size at all (and the trend is in the upward direction; since mid-August of last season or so).

As I said at the time, this isn't winning them a championship, or even a wildcard....or even the right to say they had a "winning season" again finally....but it ought to mean something to those glass-half-empty types: find another 246 game stretch of damn-near .500 baseball ANYWHERE else in the last 14 years! I'll say it again: this season IS different than the others.....even if it goes in the toilet tomorrow, the O's have not had this long a sustained period of winning at the clip they've been winning at since about August 2010.

I posted this very fact a couple days ago, when Buck was 6 games away from a .500 record with the Orioles...now he's just 4 games away. I thought it was worth pointing out, because everyone kept pooh-poohing the O's record thus far this season, saying "small sample size, small sample size".....so I decided to look up Showalter's record since he took over at the end of the 2010 season....and even I was surprised to see that he was very, very close to the fabled and supposedly impossible-for-the-Orioles-to-achieve .500 record. The Orioles are .492 with Buck Showalter at the helm.

The important thing about it all is that this has happened over the course of 246 games -- that's practically a season and a half's worth of games ---- NOT a small sample size at all (and the trend is in the upward direction; since mid-August of last season or so).

As I said at the time, this isn't winning them a championship, or even a wildcard....or even the right to say they had a "winning season" again finally....but it ought to mean something to those glass-half-empty types: find another 246 game stretch of damn-near .500 baseball ANYWHERE else in the last 14 years! I'll say it again: this season IS different than the others.....even if it goes in the toilet tomorrow, the O's have not had this long a sustained period of winning at the clip they've been winning at since about August 2010.

Exactly, and a good 80% of the board were not just "glass empty" fans but were describing the O's as the worst team in baseball going into the 2012 season, far worse than the 2011 Orioles and heading for a historic loss season. I agree with you in that this has been a slow and steady transition ever since Showalter took over the helm and we are starting to see the fruits of that Labor in, if nothing else more consistent play and not giving up on any member of the team regardless of their short term current form.

I must admit, I was one that wanted to see him give up on Gregg but the last two times he has played he has made a marked improvement and sitting Greg, without calling him out publicly seems to be giving Gregg an attitude adjustment to where he now understands that he is part of a team of moving parts that is decided on by performance, rather than right and what is best for the team, not the individual.

Exactly, and a good 80% of the board were not just "glass empty" fans but were describing the O's as the worst team in baseball going into the 2012 season, far worse than the 2011 Orioles and heading for a historic loss season. I agree with you in that this has been a slow and steady transition ever since Showalter took over the helm and we are starting to see the fruits of that Labor in, if nothing else more consistent play and not giving up on any member of the team regardless of their short term current form.

I must admit, I was one that wanted to see him give up on Gregg but the last two times he has played he has made a marked improvement and sitting Greg, without calling him out publicly seems to be giving Gregg an attitude adjustment to where he now understands that he is part of a team of moving parts that is decided on by performance, rather than right and what is best for the team, not the individual.

That's the thing about Gregg...just when you're ready to throw him on the trash heap, he comes back and pitches well! ******* him #%$% !! ;-)

This is still a small sample size, and the other two best teams in the AL are on deck this week.

I think they will continue to be good, but they still have flaws that could be fatal if the other teams can take advantage of them - especially their defense.

That's the thing about Gregg...just when you're ready to throw him on the trash heap, he comes back and pitches well! ******* him #%$% !! ;-)
Gregg was just too full of himself, his big pay check, his right to be the closer and an overinflated opinion of his own right to choose who he wanted to pitch to and who he should pitch around and put on base. I think that decision has now been taken away from him and he has been told in no uncertain terms that the Catcher and Manager are calling the game and he needs to just concentrate on pitching.