Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slidemaster

Cal and Bill Ripken: Fakey Fans

20 posts in this topic

Said today on MLB radio today that while the Orioles start is nice, it's far too early to start saying they're for real, and that we wouldn't really know what they were until the all-star break. Furthermore, they said that Adam Jones said something similar in an earlier interview, which I missed.

Fakey fans, the lot of them!

Sounds like a reasonable assessment to me.

On a somewhat related note, I've always found it curious that so many point at certain posters as attention mongers (and quite accurately), then proceed to give them attention.

Ah, but what would life be without its mysteries...

With Matusz and Hunter both struggeling to go 5 in the back of the rotation, I think thats a fair assessment.

I eagerly await the response of those posters who are so keen to point fingers at those on this board who are taking the same conservative attitude toward this early season spendor.

I eagerly await the response of those posters who are so keen to point fingers at those on this board who are taking the same conservative attitude toward this early season spendor.

Of course, such finger pointing is seen from both "sides".

I've always found balance to be a key in life, but you're not about to find it on a sports message board.

Said today on MLB radio today that while the Orioles start is nice, it's far too early to start saying they're for real, and that we wouldn't really know what they were until the all-star break. Furthermore, they said that Adam Jones said something similar in an earlier interview, which I missed.

What do they know!!!! :D

Of course, such finger pointing is seen from both "sides".

I've always found balance to be a key in life, but you're not about to find it on a sports message board.

boy, I'll say. I've done nothing but enjoy the first month of the season, but I'm getting all kinds of heat for things I never said and for not having the faith to believe this is how the season would unfold.

that doesn't mean the Ripkens would advise people to hold off on rooting hard for the team, cheering them on, and enjoying the wins.

boy, I'll say. I've done nothing but enjoy the first month of the season, but I'm getting all kinds of heat for things I never said and for not having the faith to believe this is how the season would unfold.

If this message board is your idea of heat, it's scary to think what you'd do if a real issue arose. On second thought, that comment is unfair - as a resident of downtown Baltimore, you're surrounded by "heat" on a daily basis. Stay safe.

that doesn't mean the Ripkens would advise people to hold off on rooting hard for the team, cheering them on, and enjoying the wins.

When did I advise that? I don't care what other people do, as long as they don't get on my case for being skeptical.

Posted · Hidden

Not everyone saves the world from blowing up everyday, or financially melting down, or whatever your current message board resume says that you do.:rolleyes:

Btw, live in Naples area in S.W. Florida. Across the state from your Palm Beach.

Stay thirsty hector.

If this message board is your idea of heat, it's scary to think what you'd do if a real issue arose. On second thought, that comment is unfair - as a resident of downtown Baltimore, you're surrounded by "heat" on a daily basis. Stay safe.

Not everyone saves the world from blowing up everyday, or financially melting down, or whatever your current message board resume says that you do. :rolleyes:

Btw, live in Naples area in S.W. Florida. Across the state from your Palm Beach.

Stay thirsty hector.

Not everyone saves the world from blowing up everyday, or financially melting down, or whatever your current message board resume says that you do. :rolleyes:

Stay thirsty hector.

I lived in Naples for a couple years in the early 1990's. Had a condo on the golf. Naples is a great place.

Used to visit Naples for weekends when I lived in Palm Beach. We used to travel with a cat. The first time we checked into the Ritz for the weekend, we were informed the hotel didn't allow pets. I said that surely they must allow exceptions. They said that Benji the movie dog had stayed there and my cat could too if he was a celebrity. The cat stayed.

I'm enjoying the ride however long it lasts however there are a few holes in the lineup and the pitching that contending teams don't have. Also leading the league in errors won't help. It's nice they have a good bullpen and as a budget team they have had good bullpens in the past that melted down from wear. If and it's a big one, they add to the team and subtract weaknesses be it trade or minors then i might entertain them posting a .500+ team, playoffs ? no, realistic expectations, yes. I look back to the year they lead to the all star break and Roberts got hurt, it can change on a dime, especially with the strong covering up the weak to this point. Britton coming back strong ? Maybe a reliever starting might emerg ? Reimold staying healthy ? Reynolds defense and position change ? Hunter and Matusz mentally getting on track ? Chen second time around ? Hammels history says higher era/whip etc. and it's been a few years since he pitched AL so there's that. A lot of question marks but winning changes a clubhouse so who knows...

I've always found balance to be a key in life

Just as Bowie balances itself between Baltimore and DC ?

I'm enjoying the ride however long it lasts however there are a few holes in the lineup and the pitching that contending teams don't have. Also leading the league in errors won't help. It's nice they have a good bullpen and as a budget team they have had good bullpens in the past that melted down from wear. If and it's a big one, they add to the team and subtract weaknesses be it trade or minors then i might entertain them posting a .500+ team, playoffs ? no, realistic expectations, yes. I look back to the year they lead to the all star break and Roberts got hurt, it can change on a dime, especially with the strong covering up the weak to this point. Britton coming back strong ? Maybe a reliever starting might emerg ? Reimold staying healthy ? Reynolds defense and position change ? Hunter and Matusz mentally getting on track ? Chen second time around ? Hammels history says higher era/whip etc. and it's been a few years since he pitched AL so there's that. A lot of question marks but winning changes a clubhouse so who knows...

Would you like to re-visit your 75 win prediction now that you can see the surrender of the Yankees and Red Sox?

Would you like to re-visit your 75 win prediction now that you can see the surrender of the Yankees and Red Sox?

Have you been paying attention to the stomping the Orioles are getting at the hands of the Rangers?

Surrendering??:confused:

Maybe the Red Sox have surrendered, with all of their issues and a manager none of them seem to like, but I highly doubt the Yankees are surrendering anything. They will be there and they will make the necessary moves they need to make when the time comes. I believe you are being ridiculous on purpose and simply joking but if you truly mean what you are saying you must be crazier than Travis and that is saying a lot!! B)

Surrendering??:confused:

Maybe the Red Sox have surrendered, with all of their issues and a manager none of them seem to like, but I highly doubt the Yankees are surrendering anything. They will be there and they will make the necessary moves they need to make when the time comes. I believe you are being ridiculous on purpose and simply joking but if you truly mean what you are saying you must be crazier than Travis and that is saying a lot!! B)

Glad to see that you share my opinion that the Red Sox have surrendered. I saw it coming and predicted it - did you?

As for the Yankees, their offense and pitching is a mess but other than that, they're just fantastic. The Yankees will not win 90 games this year - 85 is about right.

As I predicted, the O's will soar in 2012 in large part because of the collapse of their competitors in the AL East. The accuracy of that brilliant prediction is there for everyone to see. Conversely, your prediction that the O's would only win 71 games is grossly inaccurate and you should just admit it.

As for Travis, his prediction of 94 wins is slightly lower than mine but he's in the ballpark.