Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bowie-Bruce

The Future of Bloede Dam

3 posts in this topic

For the many users of Patapsco Valley State Park, here is your opportunity to have your voices heard. As some may already be aware, there has recently been a good deal of progress with regard to dam removal along the Patapsco--namely, the removals of Union and Simkins Dams. I plan on attending the Friday Open House.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/bloededam/index.asp

Interesting read.....I wonder if they do finally take Bloede's down, would the 3-5 ft of sand on the "point bar" above the dam on the Baltimore County side eventually be eroded away, taking the trees with it? Not that it is a game changer in my mind, the dam should definitely go.

I have only driven by the Simkins area since TS Lee hit last year, but how did it change the look/shape of the river? I'd imagine it pushed a helluva lot of sand into/over Bloedes. I did read where the area below Bloede's is getting filled in w/ sand. Especially the area next to the sewer piping where the carp hangout.

What a coup it would be if the county takes down Simkins mill as the Dam is getting demo'd....:D:D

Interesting read.....I wonder if they do finally take Bloede's down, would the 3-5 ft of sand on the "point bar" above the dam on the Baltimore County side eventually be eroded away, taking the trees with it? Not that it is a game changer in my mind, the dam should definitely go.

I have only driven by the Simkins area since TS Lee hit last year, but how did it change the look/shape of the river? I'd imagine it pushed a helluva lot of sand into/over Bloedes. I did read where the area below Bloede's is getting filled in w/ sand. Especially the area next to the sewer piping where the carp hangout.

What a coup it would be if the county takes down Simkins mill as the Dam is getting demo'd....:D:D

Who knows what the river channel would carve away once Bloede is removed, but here's hoping we find out sooner rather than later. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if at least a portion of that "point bar" is ultimately scoured away.

A buddy and I kayaked from the Main Street Bridge in Ellicott City down to Avalon/Elkridge this past weekend. As you suspected, alot of the fine sediment/silt has been transported down to the base of Bloede Dam. When we took out above the dam, we found the river bottom to be largely a huge, barely submerged (less than 6 inches deep in most places) sand bar.

It would be quite a coup if DNR ends up purchasing the Simkins property, as such an acquistion would "fill in" an otherwise contiguous ribbon of parkland along the river valley for several miles.

And thanks for your input to DNR concerning the future of Bloede Dam!