• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:19 AM

Costco had a big display for Phillips frozen crab cakes at the store here in Tampa. When I brought them home I read the small print that said product of the Phillippines. Bummer.

miss them MD crab cakes ?

#22 Aclobat

Aclobat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

A pier right around the corner from the Stoney Creek Bridge

Sorry to hear about your foot Aclobat

Yea a broken foot sucks. I have the boot off but any side to side motion hurts(so rocking in a boat is out of the question) Im hoping next weekend i'll be able to head out again. I just started using Eel as bait to. More pricey but i heard it holds up better and stinks more then chicken necks. Also got some of these scent bags (kind of like what u see in the deadliest catch)

#23 Aclobat

Aclobat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

Crabs are running great. Went out early this morning. Still not as big but they are heavy. Not one female either. Crab count was 53.

#24 Scaggsville

Scaggsville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,047 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

Crabs are running great. Went out early this morning. Still not as big but they are heavy. Not one female either. Crab count was 53.

I've never crabbed this late. Thinking about hitting it one more time b4 the weather turns. How late in the season is it worth going out?

#25 Aclobat

Aclobat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

I've never crabbed this late. Thinking about hitting it one more time b4 the weather turns. How late in the season is it worth going out?

Later season crabs tend to be much fatter. As long as the water temp stays some what warm. Although im going to take crabbing out for this year due to Sandy washing everything back down the Bay.

#26 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

I can't remember going that late either. Wondering how you made out ?

#27 Aclobat

Aclobat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

I havnt been out in about 2 weeks. But the crabs still run late october/november depending on water temps. But with Sandy, it washed every crab back down into the deep part of the bay.(my boat cant go out that far lol) I was out on my peir fishing yesterday and caught a 18 inch Rockfish. Love the Bay.

#28 Scaggsville

Scaggsville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,047 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

Had a beautiful day off but had to scrap my crabbing plans. Had a great summer tho.

Hope next year is just as good!

#29 Scaggsville

Scaggsville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,047 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

Who's got a status update for me?

#30 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,884 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

I haven't been crabbing for years, pretty much since I moved from the eastside and we sold our place down the beach .......

I did steam crabs tonight for the first time in years .......

they turned out really good and at about 1/2 the price - bought them from a roadsider that has set up shop a few miles from me ......

they did drop a lot of legs but I have been reading this evening and its said I should soak them in an ice bath about 15 minutes before putting them in the pot ......

did them on the side burner of my gas grill while cooking the rest of the meal .......

will definitely be doing it again next weekend .......

haven't given up the water altogether, caught about a dozen bass over 2 lbs up to 5 lbs last week in new hampshire :) ......

#31 Scaggsville

Scaggsville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,047 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

Had a day off and headed to the Severn Rvr. Got a late start and was horrendously hot. between 1015 and 1115 I pulled in 1 doz large, heavy crabs. It was enough for Ms Scaggs and I. Next time, I will hit it much earlier!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users