Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

Crossbow Information Sought

7 posts in this topic

I am looking to purchase as crossbow to hunt whitetail deer with. I have never owned or shot a crossbow but have been hunting with a rifle for 40 plus years and taken many a deer. I was wondering what brands I should consider? I shoot lefty and am wondering if that makes any difference in a crossbow. Also, I see on Ebay there are many different types and even when it comes to sights and scopes, etc. I only know one other person who has one so all opinions are welcomed!

Thanks.

I guess we have no Crossbow users here on this site? I was looking at the Tenpoint brand but they are so expensive! I like the shorter limbs though and universial safety as I shoot lefthanded. I wish I knew someone who had a lightly used, fairly new one for sale!

Good luck with your new set-up. I know nothing about crossbows so I wasn't going to offer advice. I like my compound bow but haven't shot enough different ones to offer advice there either. So if I don't know I keep quiet.

I have a friend who is considering buying a crossbow so I may help him investigate them later. That will also educate me in case I decide to get one too.

That said, I hope you enjoy it. I have a couple of co-workers who use them and take good deer every year. The key with them I am sure is the same as with any firearm or bow. Practice, practice, practice.

Good luck with your new set-up. I know nothing about crossbows so I wasn't going to offer advice. I like my compound bow but haven't shot enough different ones to offer advice there either. So if I don't know I keep quiet.

I have a friend who is considering buying a crossbow so I may help him investigate them later. That will also educate me in case I decide to get one too.

That said, I hope you enjoy it. I have a couple of co-workers who use them and take good deer every year. The key with them I am sure is the same as with any firearm or bow. Practice, practice, practice.

Got it sighted in but had to lose the three red dot scope. It was fine in hitting center just shot a foot high no matter how low you adjusted it. I took it to an archery shop and they shot it with the same result and you could not shim it. So I bought an Excaliber lighted recticle scope for $169 and now I am hitting a small bullseye at 20 yards with ease and actually shot it at fifty yards in a block a about a foot square which would have killed a deer (not that I plan on shooting that far ever, I just wanted to see the accuracy at that range. I may try to take a spring turkey with it!

I have a Ten Point Slider. I bought mine a few years ago, more or less for the novelty of another way to take a deer. I've taken them with a rifle (numerous calibers), shotgun (slugs and in front of dogs with buckshot), bow (compound and recurve), muzzleloader (traditional and inline - 50 and 54 cal.), pistol.

I've found that nearly all of the x-bows are front heavy and slightly cumbersome. In addition I haven't found them them to be all that much faster or more accurate than my compound bows. They are definitely a lot heavier. I haven't had the time to use it much in the field and am looking forward to my first x-bow kill. I would think it's a matter of preference if you want a compound or recurve. I heard that the recurve types are a little less noisy but if you ain't stretching your shot, I don't think many are going to jump the string.

Good luck.!

Oh, one other thing. I personally don't like the quiver attached. It just more stuff "out front" waving around looking for attention.