Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SalisburySage

Disaster Hellmann's Mayonaise changed the formula!!!!

21 posts in this topic

For years I would only use Hellmann's Mayonnaise. But recently I found that the flavor has changed. I went out and bought 4 different jars to see if I just got a bad jar but no, they all had an industrial motor oil taste. A little investigation and lo and behold they admitted changing their recipe!!! and its total crap. Now I am going to have to search for a reasonable facsimile. At least 50 yrs of product loyalty, down the drain, no doubt to make them more money. I doubt it's "REAL" anymore. Complain to the company, maybe they'll make "Classic Hellmann's", like they did Classic Coke.

http://www.thekitchn.com/brown-bag-thurs-5-14814

The author of the above piece said, "I emailed Hellmann's, owned by Unilever, to find out more. "Yes, we have changed the formula of Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise," they said." Changed the formula!!!!!!!!!!!!!????? Now it tastes like a combinations of Olive oil and motor oil. :mad:

Please write to Hellman's and complain. They changed their formula and it now so horrible tasting that its inedible.

I've been using Hellman's for 50 yrs and I wouldn't use anything else but lately it tastes like motor oil. I wrote to the company and they admitted that they changed the formula (degraded it if you ask me) and they claim that they taste tested it and "everybody" loves the new taste.

Well I don't know who they tested it on, maybe some starving monkeys, or taste tested it in Europe, but there is no way a real Hellmans lover would ever say they liked this new formula. All my Hellmans loving friends also now hate it and we're searching for a new substitute. I've heard that Heinz has created a new mayonnaise but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Please write to Hellman's and complain if you agree. Maybe they could come out with a "Hellman's Classic" the way Coke did when they disastrously changed their formula.

You can write to them here: https://secure.hellmanns.com/contactus

used hellman's to make my blue cheese dressing yesterday .....

tasted as delish as always ........

now, moving on to other culinary issues of the day ........

I already miss my garden and fresh tomatoes, basil and peppers, etc. every day .....

worse thing about the winter :( ......

I already miss my garden and fresh tomatoes, basil and peppers, etc. every day .....worse thing about the winter :( ......

Pick you basil before the cold weather. Put the leaves in those zip lock bags and then in the freezer. Stays fresh that way and is much better than dry basil, which is how my grandfather used to do it for the winter. Being half Sicilian, I can't survive without basil.

This is dire news. I'm a Hellmans’ guy myself. Can’t sand that vinegary sweet Kraft stuff

SOmer people can't taste the difference between Mayonaise and salad dressing so it doesn't bother them. BUt a true Hellman's lover will be instantly able to tell the difference.

I have used Hellman's Real Mayonnaise all my life (50+ years). But the last jar I bought has the distinct odor of Miracle Whip, a disgusting product that tastes like motor oil.

I wrote to Unilever about their change in recipe, and they replied with a form letter attesting to the safety of their product. Say what? Not one word about the new recipe. However, they did want to know the batch # of the mayo I complained about, after which they sent me a coupon for a free jar of Hellman's.

Dare I try again? Or is the world well and truly coming to an end? :eek:

Pick you basil before the cold weather. Put the leaves in those zip lock bags and then in the freezer. Stays fresh that way and is much better than dry basil, which is how my grandfather used to do it for the winter. Being half Sicilian, I can't survive without basil.

yea, I do that but unlike the old days in the 70's and 80's, fresh basil is easy to come by year round albeit it is expensive to buy a lot to make pesto, etc. and besides, there aren't any good tomatoes around to make insalata caprese anyway :( ......

I pick all my basil, typically 6-8 basic basil plants and make a lot of pesto and use my tomatoes (about 20-24 plants) to make basic sauce with the fresh herbs and freeze it .......

I make a couple blenders full of pesto but do not add the cheese and then put about 3-4 fingers worth in a ziplock bag and freeze a dozen or more bags ......

thaw, add parm and tbls goat cheese and have pesto once a week during the winter ........

freezing the cooked sauces works out better for my wife to use during the week when we are both working .......

this year I also had thai, lemon and cinnamon basil in addition to a half dozen sweet basil plants ......

Thanks for bringing this to light, SS. Some time in November I bought some Hellmann's mayonnaise and I couldn't believe just how bad it tasted. I have been eating HM for some forty years, starting in England where it tasted just like it does here, and I have never been disappointed. I have tried Hellmann's omega-3, Lite and olive oil-based variants and have always gone back to the original product because it just tasted better. I didn't throw the latest stuff away, but I decided to give it a chance. Each time I tried it, the difference in taste was immediately noticeable, with a cheap oily taste - even when I just used a very thin film on a sandwich.

Wanting a solution, I finally decided to search the web and came across your post. I then called the 800 number on the jar and spoke to a Unilever rep who assured me that there had been no change whatsoever in the way that the product was made. This is at odds with the narrative on this thread, so I don't know what the true story is. All I know is that the mayo that I bought from a major supermarket (so spoilage is very unlikely) is very different when compared with the few hundred jars of HM that I must have eaten over the last forty years.